ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Bouncing and noise from a GSA

I have a 2011 1200 GSA which has been a great bike so far. The bike has 18000 on the ODO meter
However I have 2 small annoying issues...

1. When I reduce the speed from 80-90 km/h and down to city speed as 40-50 km/h, I have a small up and down bouncing /vibration which seems to come from the front of the bike.
I have tried to adjust the ESA, but no changes.
As soon as I speed up again, it disappear.
When I start driving up to 40-50 km/h, I dont notice the bouncing. Only when I come from higher speed and slow down.
Tires have been changed, airpressure have been changed, still the same.

2. On fifth shift only, between 2500 and 3200 rpm, I have weird noise from the bike. I do not know where this noise come from, but it`s like a frequency noise which comes and goes with a sequence between 1 and 0,5 seconds, depending on the rpm. Higher rpm, the faster the frequency noise.
Sounds kind of like a bad ball bearing on the wheel of a car.


Any suggestions?
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011

Aco201 screwed with this post 11-29-2014 at 04:55 AM
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 503
What tyres do you have? If you have tourance or similar semi off road these give a vibration that sets up a resonant frequency in the bike giving you number 2. Number one I would first look at tyre condition and balance. I cant think of anything else that would cause this on the front end and could change as the tyre heats and cools if it is a defect with the tyre.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
What tyres do you have? If you have tourance or similar semi off road these give a vibration that sets up a resonant frequency in the bike giving you number 2. Number one I would first look at tyre condition and balance. I cant think of anything else that would cause this on the front end and could change as the tyre heats and cools if it is a defect with the tyre.
Anakee 2.


I had the same both issue with the original tires (dont remember what type)

2. If it had been the tires, I should have the same sounds on all gears.
If I gear down or up, the sound disappear. It`s only 5 shift.
I can not remember if the sound disappear when I pull in the clutch...
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 503
Not with a resonant frequency. A specific gear at specific revs sets everything up to be unique. Have a search and you will find lots of posts with the same thing. I can't guarantee with over the Internet diagnostics but it's very common on these bikes with dual sport tyres including mine. I am now on trail attack tyres which are much smoother and quieter and it isn't there anymore. They are useless off road though.

If you have had the bouncing front with different tyres and all have been balanced then check the wheel for being true. No idea why it reacts the way it is other than perception but it's a simple check. Other than that I am out of ideas on the front.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Not with a resonant frequency. A specific gear at specific revs sets everything up to be unique. Have a search and you will find lots of posts with the same thing. I can't guarantee with over the Internet diagnostics but it's very common on these bikes with dual sport tyres including mine. I am now on trail attack tyres which are much smoother and quieter and it isn't there anymore. They are useless off road though.

If you have had the bouncing front with different tyres and all have been balanced then check the wheel for being true. No idea why it reacts the way it is other than perception but it's a simple check. Other than that I am out of ideas on the front.
I kind of thought it could be the front suspension.
I read an article about changing to Řhlins on a GSA and they said the typical GS bouncing were gone.

I thought what I have might be "the typical GS bouncing"..
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 503
Something has to make it bounce in the first place though. Suspension doesn't move on its own. No doubt a better shock could cover it up. Mine certainly doesn't do it although I don't have ESA.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Something has to make it bounce in the first place though. Suspension doesn't move on its own. No doubt a better shock could cover it up. Mine certainly doesn't do it although I don't have ESA.
Movement of the bike and the bumps in the road.
For a while I had a thought that the front damper have air trapped inside..so its bouncing on a bobble of air...
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
Beemer Rob
Stuck in Ohio
 
Beemer Rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 52
Bouncing GSA

Take a look at the run out of both of your wheels / tires.

They might be to BMW specs, but not even close to being right.

'Might be time to send the wheels out to Woody for a rework.

He sure cured all of my issues with bouncing and vibrations on both of my GS's with spoke wheels, no matter what tires I use.
Beemer Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Rob View Post
Take a look at the run out of both of your wheels / tires.

They might be to BMW specs, but not even close to being right.

'Might be time to send the wheels out to Woody for a rework.

He sure cured all of my issues with bouncing and vibrations on both of my GS's with spoke wheels, no matter what tires I use.
I think you have a good point here...I will try to have that done this winter.. :)
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe
 
JStancampiano's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: N GA Mts
Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Rob View Post
Take a look at the run out of both of your wheels / tires.

They might be to BMW specs, but not even close to being right.

'Might be time to send the wheels out to Woody for a rework.

He sure cured all of my issues with bouncing and vibrations on both of my GS's with spoke wheels, no matter what tires I use.
Had to do the same with my GSA, stock wire wheels were not straight. Woodies did a great job.
__________________
2007 R1200GS ADV, 1978 R100T, 2009 FJR
JStancampiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Too balance the wheels after the tire change, a huge amount of weights were needed.
So these 2 problems I have could be a result of several issues and straighten the wheels could help out.

I will give it a try... and pray for a warm winter and an early spring...

__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 635
Maybe try increasing your tire pressure and see what happens....

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Aco201 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Maybe try increasing your tire pressure and see what happens....

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
I have tried several different tire pressures..but it does not change any.
It might be a bad wheel bearing..
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Philippines: KTM 950 SMR, 2007
Norway: BMW R1200 GSA, 2011
Aco201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014