Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #31
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post

Are you sure about this?
Yes, I was answering a question regarding an external output coil. Or at least what the person thought was an external output coil.

All HID power systems use an inductor as an 'output coil'. The inductor is necessary to generate high voltage. Depending on the design of the HID power system, the inductor coil is either inside the power supply enclosure, or outside the enclosure.

(NOTE: The internet creates its own nomenclature. Typical comments on the internet refer to this inductor coil as the igniter. Conversely, typical comments on the internet refer to the power supply enclosure as the igniter. At the risk of creating confusion, I call it an inductor, because that's what the component is.)

The inductor coil is necessary to generate the high voltage required to start the plasma arc within the HID bulb. An output inductor coil is present on all HID systems, but can be in different locations depending on the overall design.

There are 2 types of HID power supplies. One power supply has the 'output coil' contained within the controller housing. The other power supply has the 'output coil' external to the controller housing.

For power supplies with the external coil, the coil is located in one of two places. The coil is either inline on the wiring between the controller and the bulb. Or the coil is built into the bulb base. That type of bulb, the one with the built in inductor coil, is known as a D1S.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
Almost five years on and the HID conversion is still going strong. I did pull out the 35W HID and replace it with an essentially identical 55W unit a year or so ago. Nothing has failed or fallen off and the light output continues to shame the stock quartz-halogen unit. I have installed a euro-switch to replace the original RH switchgear, thereby gaining a light switch, which I use to turn the current headlamp and Motolights on and off.

The sister to the original 35W unit I used here was installed in my R80RT and continues to work well there (delivering an even better beam pattern, IMO.) I also put a 55W unit in my GTS1000 which throws out a lot more light but with a noticeably worse beam pattern. Also, unlike either of the BMW's, the light on the GTS tends to go out if I start the bike with the HID turned on. My guess is that this has something to do with the electrics in the control box. A friend has three HID units installed in his R1200RT and just one of them seems to do the same thing so it could be just the unit I happened to install on the GTS.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
This is one of the threads that I found while doing an internet search for improving the lighting output on my R1100GS. Thanks Slartidbartfast.

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote