Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #151
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair

I want to convert my subframe on my 010 570 so it can carry fuel. I saw a photo of the return hose. But I never saw a photo of the fuel feed hose and how or where it was placed.

I've heard that one needs to have a farily large hose there so that the tank fills quickly. yeah, if you fit a tap, then just use it like a reserve and only drain when you really need too, works well

It would almost be worth it if the shop where the rally bike was built offered a subframe all plumed up for fuel.

Also are you running the stock charging system? yes, the 210w stock is great

And have you increased your oil capacity? no, it has 1.5L stock which is fine, just need to use really good stuff Motul 300V 15w:50 and change it and the filter each day
Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #152
vallarian
Position doubtful

Oddometer: 55
total weight?

Thanks for insight into hours and obvious dollars to prepare bike.

cuppla questions.

Did u get a chance to measure final weight of bike dry or wet and how would it compare to 690 rallye?

If you returned in 2011 on a husa, would you go 570 restricted or bolt bits to 450?

Is your goal just to finish or do u have a minimum position you hope to achieve?

Good Luck for the race,
J
vallarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #153
WestOzKLX
Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer: 869
Safariberg. Just for my info, is the fuel tank mod for the subframe tested?
Did you run that set up on the Aus safari?
How much would it cost and are the parts easy to source?
Can the mod be performed on all models, ie the 390?

Thanks.
WestOzKLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #154
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallarian

Did u get a chance to measure final weight of bike dry or wet and how would it compare to 690 rallye? no but I estimate it is now about 135kg dry, we have added about 20kg to it, a customer (non-factory) 690RR is about 165kg dry, so another 30kg more, plus its a lot bigger physically

If you returned in 2011 on a husa, would you go 570 restricted or bolt bits to 450? 570 restricted, the motor will still be working easier than a 450 and you have the extra torque to use in the sand

Is your goal just to finish or do u have a minimum position you hope to achieve? finish, this year there was a 60% dnf rate
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #155
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Safariberg. Just for my info, is the fuel tank mod for the subframe tested? yes, Condo 750, Yilgarn rallye, Finke + Safari
Did you run that set up on the Aus safari? yes
How much would it cost about $300 and are the parts easy to source? yes if you knwo what you need
Can the mod be performed on all models, ie the 390? yes, all '09 + 2010 models

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #156
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Gorgeous if I might say, great looking bike, wish you luck in SA

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #157
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
nice build and writeup!

I've been following it on www.husaberg.org and just saw this thread.

Best of luck to you!

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #158
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL
Best of luck!

This thread should be in thumpers also.

And Racing, and Ride Reports, and...

Splendid stuff, Garry. When you have a chance, do drop in to the Competitors Prep thread in Racing.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #159
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
So the end result for the Safari FE570 rallye bikes

SafariBerg, that FE is giving me a severe case of bike techno lust and making me want to sell all my bikes and get one of those lusty little Hussy wenches. The Safari tanks and Force parts are so cool and the rest of the build is just incredibly well done. Thanks for taking the effort to share the build-up with us. I think that will be the most interesting bike in El Dakaro and hoping you guys do well!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #160
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

dune training

Spent yesterday out on the dunes and tracks between Lancelin & Cervantes 120km north of Perth with Rallye, lots of real good tracks that look similar to some of the stuff in Argentina, plus the dunes are great practice, some of them 40-50m tall, tiddlers compared to Chile but needing a lot of focus all the same, coming down can be plain scary as they can be very vertical on the drop off side, but just have to commit.

Rallye has been hitting this area each week for awhile now and knows some great spots.

I was using a new 2010 FE390 loaned from Wanneroo Motorcycles, neat little bike but I sorely missed the grunt of the 570 to tractor through the dunes with, I'm used to riding the torque and short shifting whereas the 390 needed to keep a head of steam up.

Next trip up to the dunes in a week or 2 will be on a 570.

This time we spent 5 1/2 hrs on the move in the saddle all up, left the bivouac (home ) at 6am got back at 6pm so it was a decent day to see how the bike fitness is holding up. Overall not too bad but will be aming to get out on the bike a lot more for the next 6 weeks.

Rallye is wearing the latest version of the Sprint Designs lightweight rallye jacket, I had the Mk1 version to test. They are really great, basically the lightness and feel of a jersey with the function of a full rallye jacket, great stuff

Full kudos to Rallye for getting these developed, a real rival to the euro gear like Kenny but at 1/3 the price and Aussie made

SafariBerg screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 03:54 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #161
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Full kudos to Rallye for getting these developed, a real rival to the euro gear like Kenny but at 1/3 the price and Aussie made
- Will these jackets be for sale anytime soon?!?
- You say for a third of the price of what Kenny is offering, so around 100, right?
- Are these also custom designed ones?

Sound very tempting anyway!!!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #162
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
- Will these jackets be for sale anytime soon?!?
- You say for a third of the price of what Kenny is offering, so around 100, right?
- Are these also custom designed ones?

Sound very tempting anyway!!!
Yes these will be available soon ,they are just in the process of making some for me and some for safariburg for the Dakar. Once these are out of the way ,they will be taking orders.

Not sure of the final price ,but will be very competitive.

And yes custom designed (to suit me) ,they made a variety of jackets until we came up with what worked best ,with a very warm dakar in mind.
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #163
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Great stuff, Garry. Dune riding is what scares the shit out of me WRT the big rallies.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #164
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
SafariBerg'

I've just hopped on board and read your thread! just awesome! and good luck

I thought I'd toss in a small suggestion as you were asking about training and workouts, etc... and there are some fantastic answers (I also have a background in exercise, and treating athletes of all levels) so I will hit a slightly different topic and not get too deep.

If you already know this and have it all sorted out, then disregard...

Water - or better yet, electrolytes. I am sure being from the Land Down Under you have used your fair share, but if you were planning on relying on Gatorade for your electrolyte needs over such a great distance I'd consider looking elsewhere. The product is not even close to ideal, the ratio of sodium and potassium is not as the body requires nor absorbs plus it is filled with all sorts of other crap (sweeteners, fillers, colouring - some even have hydrogenated vegetable oils - which your body can't break down).

What I suggest to my marathoners/ultra marathoners/ironmen, etc... as the majority of these guys rely on the water given at the water stations so they are often not bringing a sufficient amount of electrolytes with them on hand, at least pre-mixed in bottles. So there are products in tablet or pill form that you can take with you and takes minimal space, such as salt tablets - but they are also not the best as they do not take into consideration the correct ratios as well. For my athletes they will run with a tube or a bunch in a zip lock bag and take them every 30-60min or so while racing.

If you do not take any form of electrolyte and only drink water then you can suffer what is called Hyponutremia - basically you sweat out all your electrolytes, there will be a lack of muscle control, poor decision making, concentration... basically a very fast downward spiral - actually there is a case from a number of years ago where a world class marathoner died at the Boston Marathon (one of the meca marathon's) as she only drank water on the course, it was blazingly hot and she died due to hyponutremia.

The first thing I notice when I start to get low is a headache and then it progresses to my legs starting to feel really heavy...

I've no idea what sort of products you can get there, but here is a link to a site that explains it all really well and you can then use that info to try to source out something locally that fits.

Ironically the doctor that came up with the product I use was trained at the Sports Med Institute in Australia, but practices here in Toronto.

Link to Electrolyte Info

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and as I said, if you already know all this, then disregard.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #165
Motox
Colombian Rider

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
That is exactly what I am looking for, to go on my 450EXC with the KTM hard parts road book bracket. I'm using a 4" round HID light, and the stock KTM headlight surround doesn't cover enough of the road book system and is simply the wrong shape.

I hesitate to even post my bike next to your gorgeous 'berg's, but to give you an idea what I'm trying to work with. KTM Hard parts bracket with a (hopefully temporary) piece of lightly molded kydex to protect the wiring a bit...

Are any more of those fairings available?
These are Mastech Colombia faring parts. I'm also planning on ordering this for a new Berg 450.
Attached Images

Motox is offline   Reply With Quote