User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
TIM I. OP
and some dry white toast

Oddometer: 357
2 repair Q's on 640

i've only put 250 miles on lc4 03 adventure so this may be a newbie (Q#1) question. bike is at ktm now..

1. bike is losing coolant but I believe it's going down to a point and then staying there (not totally sure). If I fill to 10mm (I'd have to check the book again for sure) above the visible fins inside, it will burp it out. have to add 2+ cups or more. I can see coolant coming out the overflow. but if I fill per the book, it's too full. I haven't put enough miles to know if the coolant leak is stoping or not. each time I ride it and check the coolant I can't see any. tilt the bike around, still none. I asked KTm to look into it. what diagnosis should I verify ktm did? water pump ? bearings? pressure check only?

2. oil line on upper neck came loose, out, ruining a 2 day trip only after 70 miles into it. the frame hole is stripped out, worse, since ktm has is it appears there's a crack in the sides of the hole too. paint is chipped away from around the edges of the hole. the accumulated dirt that was there was mistaken by me as 'oil change mess' but that wasn't the case. i want the best repair done, how should they (ktm) repair this?

my ktm dealer is a good shop but i want to be armed with the best solutions before they commence repair.

TIM I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
Reformed DucFlogger
Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer: 1,445
2 cents

my 2 cents worth:

1. Could be air in rad amsking amount of coolant that's in there. Obviously would pay to check for head gasket probs.

2. Sounds like a bodged repair at some point. Don't kow if cross-threading then over-torquing that fitting could have craked it, but...maybe a clean, a weld and a helicol?

The LC4 engine, unlike the Lc8 has a rep for being solid as a rock after years and years of development. Sounds like some fracked-up maintenance and repairs by prior owner(s)/shop(s).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
As both of these problems sound a bit unique, especially the second one, and neither have easy solutions... all I can say is that the sentence below pretty much covers it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed DucFlogger
Sounds like some fracked-up maintenance and repairs by prior owner(s)/shop(s).
Hope you and your dealer can get it sorted, 'cause usually, '03s are dead solid reliable in those two areas.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
TIM I. OP
and some dry white toast

does the bike have to be completely torn apart (frame only) to weld on it?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM I.
Nope. But it should be taken to a professional, aircraft certified welder... as it is far to critical to leave to the local "ace" that bought a heli-arc from Harbor Freight last week... you know what I mean?

Your local munincipal airport is a good place to find a qualified welder if there isn't one in your neighborhood.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #6
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM I.
Hi Tim,

I would try to get a new frame. It is an 03.
Warranty here in Europe is 2 Years. So it should be possible to get something on goodwill if your dealer really cares for you.
If he can't manage that he is worth nothing more than dog poo.

The radiator thing can either be dirt in the radiator cap, check the rubber and cap for dirt or hardened rubber,
or it can be a gas leak (so cobustion preassure can leak into the cooling system.)
Fill the radiator up and let the bike run in idle with the cap removed. If you can see airbubbles coming up in a steady stream you will have to search for a leak

cheers

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
TIM I. OP
and some dry white toast

Reformed, Creeper, Happe, thank you. good stuff. I should be hearing back today I hope.

i bought another ktm from the same place , we'll see how this works.