ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #31
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ
wuz headed for can you say 450 miles in 12 hours in the rain ???? i got 1/3 way there and it seemed as the rain was following me ........... went buy ktm shop today and got some stuff needed im on this project this weekend ................. ill get this thing built and see about wiring btw im converting to lighter adv so dont be surprised when i post pics

Barry
Well?? It's been a couple of weeks. Any progress? You have me VERY curious about a "lighter Adventure"......

109 degrees in a couple neighborhoods around here on Monday. Summer is finally here.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #32
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,164
Mounting a right-side fan on a 640 Adventure

With summer quickly approaching, I figured it was time to mount a right side fan. Besides, I sent my seat back to Bill Mayer for some adjustments, so I had some down time to play. Through prior experimentation with the left-side fan, I knew I could get it in/on. It was just a matter of making some brackets and relocating the condenser. Then I’d run some wiring, mount a switch and I’d be set.

It really wasn’t that bad. Most of the time was spent creating & bending the brackets for the fan and the condenser. Here’s the Reader’s Digest version of the install:

1. Relocate the condenser. Luckily, KTM realized I’d be doing this and included this wonderful mounting lug at the right rear of the head. You can see it just below and behind the green temperature switch. I just used a little “L” bracket to go from the lug to the condenser mount. Wires are long enough and there’s enough clearance to get an allen wrench in there if needed.



This is what used to be mounted to that lug (battery for scale only):



On my bike, there was nothing running through it or attached to it. It’s just an extra part now….


2. Mount the fan. Now the fan just barely fits. The compression release arm off the exhaust valve cover touches the inside edge of the fan housing. Two of the four fan mounting holes line up ‘almost’ perfectly with the tabs on the edge of the radiator. Close enough though. So you have to fab a couple small brackets to mount up to the radiator, and at least one inboard mount. I ran the inboard fan mount from behind the rubber gas tank mount, around behind the compression release cable, then to the fan. This required a lot of twisting and bending so make sure you use something that can withstand the abuse. I used a 2” diameter flat steel pipe clamp. For the radiator brackets, I just used a couple more small “L” brackets. A little cutting/grinding of the brackets is also needed where they attach to the fan itself. Clearances are small. Use your favorite nuts/bolts/screws to secure everything. Here’s how it looks:



Here’s a wider image including relocated condenser:




3. Wire and switch. I used a DPDT, weatherproof (triple sealed) switch and wired it so I could manually override the LS fan, or turn on the RS fan. To turn on the LS fan, all you need to do is short the radiator temp sensor terminals (under the boot). So I cut off the original spade terminals and ran a pair of wires from the switch and spliced them in to the existing (brown) temp sensor wires with new spade connectors. Now, when I throw the switch, all I’m doing is closing the connection at the temp sensor and the LS fan kicks on. This has no effect on the automatic operation of the fan. If I have the switch in the OFF or RS fan position, the LS fan will still kick on automatically. For the RS fan, I wired it direct from the battery with an inline fuse. I thought about using a relay, but the fan really doesn’t pull very many amps, so I decided to do without. Anyway, the RS fan is wired so that throwing the switch just completes the ground and it fires right up. One benefit I noticed is that since it’s running direct from the battery, it spins at a higher RPM.

The switch (above & below the dash):



Switch wiring close up:




4. So, with the switch in the central (OFF) position, everything works like normal. If I toggle up, the LF fan fires up and if I toggle down the RS fan comes on.

I haven’t been able to road test it yet as my seat is still at Bill Mayer being “adjusted”.

Some notes: The clearances are very slim. The fan is only millimeters away from the radiator fins. When the tank is on, there are only millimeters of space between the inside of the tank to the fan mounting brackets. I made sure to cut off any extra bolt threads so they are flush with the heads of the nuts. Also, as an aid for working on the bike, I made the connections to the RS fan using posi-locks. I also made the wires to the switch extra long so there is some play when I pull the dash.

Kinda looking forward to summer now. I used to stress every time I’d get stuck in traffic on the way home from work as the temp gauge would creep up and up. I knew the dreaded yellow blinking temp light wasn’t far behind. Sitting on the side of the freeway when it’s 100+ degrees while waiting for the bike to cool down is not my idea of a good time. Shouldn’t have to worry about that anymore…..
__________________
Enemy of fun
2008 Versys
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #33
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
good job velo!

thought you might like to see this if you didn't already:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74946

Seems like the shroud with the fan made it easier? (less DIY fitting I think)

let us know if it really does the trick in the heat. I am contemplating this or an oil cooler setup.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #34
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Nicely done Velo... Clean and simple. It was nice of KTM to provide all those handy extra mounting holes wern't it?
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #35
Badmunkie
...and needing spanked!
 
Badmunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 181
Aux fan circuit

After stumbling over this thread I decided to outfit my 640 with the dual fan set-up. After reading Velocibiker's description I came up with the following circuit


With an ordinary DPDT switch you can have the NORMAL operation of just the stock fan, or switch to FAN OVER RIDE and get both fans at once.

Pretty simple.

'munkie
Badmunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #36
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
good job velo!

thought you might like to see this if you didn't already:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74946

Seems like the shroud with the fan made it easier? (less DIY fitting I think)

let us know if it really does the trick in the heat. I am contemplating this or an oil cooler setup.
Actually I missed that one! Regardless, ya can't mount it with the shroud (on an '02). The compression release cable mount gets in the way.
__________________
Enemy of fun
2008 Versys
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #37
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Actually I missed that one! Regardless, ya can't mount it with the shroud (on an '02). The compression release cable mount gets in the way.
I think he mounted the shround one on the left (stock side) and moved the stocker (w/out shroud) to the right (open side).

Jerome did this as well with his bike; and I think he used a shroud on the second side but had to hack a bit to fit her.

BTW, munkie, Drif10 has wired his fan to a manual override - maybe we can get him to post his method/diagram?
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #38
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
BTW, munkie, Drif10 has wired his fan to a manual override - maybe we can get him to post his method/diagram?

All it takes is a STSP (basic on/off) switch to short/close the temp sensor.

Just splice in a couple wires to the brown wires at the radiator thermo sensor. Run one to each lead of the switch. Switch "ON" closes the contact and fan comes on. Switch "OFF" and the conection is broken. Fan cuts off if the thermo switch is cool enough. Fan will only work with key on.

You can even get "spiffy" and get a lighted rocker switch or wire a up an LED so that you have a nice indicator when the fan is overriden. Although your temp guage and your ears make it pretty easy to tell when it's on or off....
__________________
Enemy of fun
2008 Versys
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #39
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
I am a 640 Adventure fan.
but yer feet no touchy ground.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #40
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
but yer feet no touchy ground.
That's OK. Mine BARELY do...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #41
drmax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Martinsville, IN
Oddometer: 327
no pics...

Pics aren't working here. Would be nice to see this so as to do my 2nd fan on '02 LC4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
With summer quickly approaching, I figured it was time to mount a right side fan. Besides, I sent my seat back to Bill Mayer for some adjustments, so I had some down time to play. Through prior experimentation with the left-side fan, I knew I could get it in/on. It was just a matter of making some brackets and relocating the condenser. Then I’d run some wiring, mount a switch and I’d be set.

It really wasn’t that bad. Most of the time was spent creating & bending the brackets for the fan and the condenser. Here’s the Reader’s Digest version of the install:

1. Relocate the condenser. Luckily, KTM realized I’d be doing this and included this wonderful mounting lug at the right rear of the head. You can see it just below and behind the green temperature switch. I just used a little “L” bracket to go from the lug to the condenser mount. Wires are long enough and there’s enough clearance to get an allen wrench in there if needed.



This is what used to be mounted to that lug (battery for scale only):



On my bike, there was nothing running through it or attached to it. It’s just an extra part now….


2. Mount the fan. Now the fan just barely fits. The compression release arm off the exhaust valve cover touches the inside edge of the fan housing. Two of the four fan mounting holes line up ‘almost’ perfectly with the tabs on the edge of the radiator. Close enough though. So you have to fab a couple small brackets to mount up to the radiator, and at least one inboard mount. I ran the inboard fan mount from behind the rubber gas tank mount, around behind the compression release cable, then to the fan. This required a lot of twisting and bending so make sure you use something that can withstand the abuse. I used a 2” diameter flat steel pipe clamp. For the radiator brackets, I just used a couple more small “L” brackets. A little cutting/grinding of the brackets is also needed where they attach to the fan itself. Clearances are small. Use your favorite nuts/bolts/screws to secure everything. Here’s how it looks:



Here’s a wider image including relocated condenser:




3. Wire and switch. I used a DPDT, weatherproof (triple sealed) switch and wired it so I could manually override the LS fan, or turn on the RS fan. To turn on the LS fan, all you need to do is short the radiator temp sensor terminals (under the boot). So I cut off the original spade terminals and ran a pair of wires from the switch and spliced them in to the existing (brown) temp sensor wires with new spade connectors. Now, when I throw the switch, all I’m doing is closing the connection at the temp sensor and the LS fan kicks on. This has no effect on the automatic operation of the fan. If I have the switch in the OFF or RS fan position, the LS fan will still kick on automatically. For the RS fan, I wired it direct from the battery with an inline fuse. I thought about using a relay, but the fan really doesn’t pull very many amps, so I decided to do without. Anyway, the RS fan is wired so that throwing the switch just completes the ground and it fires right up. One benefit I noticed is that since it’s running direct from the battery, it spins at a higher RPM.

The switch (above & below the dash):



Switch wiring close up:




4. So, with the switch in the central (OFF) position, everything works like normal. If I toggle up, the LF fan fires up and if I toggle down the RS fan comes on.

I haven’t been able to road test it yet as my seat is still at Bill Mayer being “adjusted”.

Some notes: The clearances are very slim. The fan is only millimeters away from the radiator fins. When the tank is on, there are only millimeters of space between the inside of the tank to the fan mounting brackets. I made sure to cut off any extra bolt threads so they are flush with the heads of the nuts. Also, as an aid for working on the bike, I made the connections to the RS fan using posi-locks. I also made the wires to the switch extra long so there is some play when I pull the dash.

Kinda looking forward to summer now. I used to stress every time I’d get stuck in traffic on the way home from work as the temp gauge would creep up and up. I knew the dreaded yellow blinking temp light wasn’t far behind. Sitting on the side of the freeway when it’s 100+ degrees while waiting for the bike to cool down is not my idea of a good time. Shouldn’t have to worry about that anymore…..
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014