ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ
adding a rally fan to the throttle side radiator and putting both fans on a toggle switch along with the water temp sensor auto kick in
Been wanting to do this as I end up stuck in traffic a lot with 110 degree heat. This has a tendency to spike the engine temps (I hate to see that yellow blinking light).

I haven't been able to find a good right side fan. Apparently you have. PLEASE let me know where/when/how I can get one too!!!

I'll mow the grass

('02 Adventure)
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #17
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer
 
gagnaou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: FLint Hills
Oddometer: 1,268
How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ

fwiw im pulling the 640 motor tonight to put in the lc4 racing cam this week end im adding a rally fan to the throttle side radiator and putting both fans on a toggle switch along with the water temp sensor auto kick in if youd like ill take pics and post them of the extra fan ......... all the other goodies too if you guys and gals behave

Barry

akrapovic exh fcr cam rallye clutch springs yadda yadda yadda
Barry,

just wondering if you had postthe pictures somewhere, I might have missed the thread and I am really interested by this right fan on the adventure. Thanks for letting us know

Luc
__________________
Luc


French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!


450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:07 PM   #18
BlownCJ
dangerous rider ?
 
BlownCJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Powder Springs GA
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou
Barry,

just wondering if you had postthe pictures somewhere, I might have missed the thread and I am really interested by this right fan on the adventure. Thanks for letting us know

Luc
sorry guys Linzi stole my bike since her stator and RR went to shit on mutley

this means my high ass dollar 640 is in gainsville till tommorow with a new racing cam , brand new akra header and pipe , fcr 41 , and me know where around ............. have the fan stuff out in the garage and as soon as i make and adapter plate ill show you what i have done

Barry
__________________
you know what i ride or you will learn
BlownCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #19
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom
 
Linzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 15,413
You actually think I'm gonna bring this thing back?

(No, really...HUGE thanks for loaning me your bike, Barry. )
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #20
inte OP
neophyte serendipity
 
inte's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,735
update...

Just an update to the original post ...

I've been doing some loose testing down here in Baja - 1st gear climbs, high-speed river washes, plus some country & city road miles. Seems to be working fine! I think it runs slightly hotter than before, but that may be because all my rides the past few months were in winter. Regardless, I flushed out the Engine Ice & put a 60/40 mix water/Prestone, plus about 5 capfuls of Water Wetter - so far I haven't gone over 5 bars!

So far so good...

On another note - MT-21's are pretty cool, but I think I prefer the 606 front for stuff down here.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:30 AM   #21
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
right side Adventure fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ
sorry guys Linzi stole my bike since her stator and RR went to shit on mutley

this means my high ass dollar 640 is in gainsville till tommorow with a new racing cam , brand new akra header and pipe , fcr 41 , and me know where around ............. have the fan stuff out in the garage and as soon as i make and adapter plate ill show you what i have done

Barry
"adapter plate"?? Darn, I was hoping for a direct bolt on. When I did my 950 demo ride the other weekend, they had one of the true Dakar bikes up on display. It had a sweet right side fan that was direct bolt on using the tabs on the radiator. Sadly, nobody there had any idea what the part number might be. They wouldn't let me take the Dakar bike apart either .
So, please keep me in mind too when you get this set up. Thanks.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #22
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ
i bled mine about 3 weeks ago added some water wetter and cranked it up and purged the system with the cap off ...... try this

if that doesnt work pull a return line to the radiator {top hose} fire her up and see what kind of fluid flow you are getting ... might have a stuck thermostat stuck closed that is dont run it out of radiator fluid though

fwiw im pulling the 640 motor tonight to put in the lc4 racing cam this week end im adding a rally fan to the throttle side radiator and putting both fans on a toggle switch along with the water temp sensor auto kick in if youd like ill take pics and post them of the extra fan ......... all the other goodies too if you guys and gals behave

Barry

akrapovic exh fcr cam rallye clutch springs yadda yadda yadda
Yo. Ya ever get that rally fan on???? Really would like to know how that turned out. I've got an old PC fan mounted on mine and it helps 'some', but I'd rather have something a bit more effective.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:31 AM   #23
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Just my opinion, so no need to flame me. But the way I see it these second fans just reduce airflow when off, and add extra weight right where you want it least on an ADV R. I have never had a problem on my ADV outside of city traffic, even on steep 8k plus ft, slow speed climbs in hot weather, well it runs higher on the IMO, it is certainly not overheating. Even in the city on 100f plus days it has not overheated, but just run hot. I think a manual fan switch makes far more sense, so when you know your going to get into a situation where it might start getting pretty hot, then you can turn the fan on early, and thus give yourself more of a heatsink.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:38 AM   #24
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,249
FWIIW, I just changed coolant out in my 2000 640 Adv R. (I actually had the entire system apart with the radiators off). I couldn't find any air bleed on the system anywhere (including the thermo housing), so I just added coolant (I used the Honda HP stuff), fired it up, and ran it with the cap off. It bubbled and gurgled quite a bit, but ended up taking well over a liter so I think I got it filled.

On my 2000 it is hard to know how hot it is running as all I have is an overheat idiot light. If you let it run for awhile, the fan kicks on, but I've never seen the light come on. It seems to run fine, so hopefully, I don't have any air in the system.

Anybody know how to check if the light is working? Do both the fan and overheat light work off the temp sensor at the bottom of the right radiator? Will shorting this out blink the light?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #25
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Just my opinion, so no need to flame me. But the way I see it these second fans just reduce airflow when off, and add extra weight right where you want it least on an ADV R. I have never had a problem on my ADV outside of city traffic, even on steep 8k plus ft, slow speed climbs in hot weather, well it runs higher on the IMO, it is certainly not overheating. Even in the city on 100f plus days it has not overheated, but just run hot. I think a manual fan switch makes far more sense, so when you know your going to get into a situation where it might start getting pretty hot, then you can turn the fan on early, and thus give yourself more of a heatsink.
No worries. If mine hadn't overheated a couple times already I wouldn't be worrying about it. When its 110+ and I get stuck in traffic, it DOES overheat. Between the air temp, road surface, no wind and gobs of idleing cars, it's HOT. I've bled my system and replaced the coolant a couple times already (every spring). I'm thinking of trying water wetter next, but I'd still like the option of an auxillary fan. I already have an old PC fan mounted and attached to a toggle switch. It just doesn't move enough air.

Sitting on the side of the road waiting for the darn thing to cool down some in the middle of a Vegas summer isn't my idea of fun. Anyway I can correct that situation is worth any weight. My other option is not to ride at all. While it's a viable option and I certainly love the A/C in my car, I'd rather be riding.... I can stay semi-comfortable in full gear thanks to my Cool Vest , but I want the bike to stay cool too.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #26
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Velocibiker, have you tried a manual fan switch yet? I find on my VFR800, it really helps to drop the temp early, and thus give yourself the greater heatsink headroom. Once when living in Mesa, I blew a fanbelt which unbeknownst to me took out my A/C compressor wiring, and of course it had to happen during the hottest part of the Arizona summer, that was one very long afternoon. Here in Texas the humidity is a little harder on us humans, with our evaporative cooling, but it is a little easier on machinery. Cheers, Mack
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #27
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Velocibiker, have you tried a manual fan switch yet? I find on my VFR800, it really helps to drop the temp early, and thus give yourself the greater heatsink headroom. Once when living in Mesa, I blew a fanbelt which unbeknownst to me took out my A/C compressor wiring, and of course it had to happen during the hottest part of the Arizona summer, that was one very long afternoon. Here in Texas the humidity is a little harder on us humans, with our evaporative cooling, but it is a little easier on machinery. Cheers, Mack
Hadn't though of that. I could wire in a bypass at the thermo switch to my existing toggle....hmmmmmmm Kick both fans on early and bring the temp down sooner when I know there's going to be a lot of slow moving. Sounds like that might help. Certainly can't hurt. THANKS Mack!!!
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:13 PM   #28
BlownCJ
dangerous rider ?
 
BlownCJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Powder Springs GA
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Hadn't though of that. I could wire in a bypass at the thermo switch to my existing toggle....hmmmmmmm Kick both fans on early and bring the temp down sooner when I know there's going to be a lot of slow moving. Sounds like that might help. Certainly can't hurt. THANKS Mack!!!
i havent forgotten im working on a basket case 02 520sx i got for a song putting in a six speed gear box and a bigger tank .............. if it starts well ill ds it without adding the e start

now ill have a 3 stable of 3 very different machine ..........

taking off for maryland on the 950 tommorow to go to the family reunion ........ im going to try to do the fan next week .... you are on your own for the wiring but ill show ya what i came up with that clears the decompresson lever on the valave cover

Barry

thanks mack for ribbbing me into getting the lighter bike
__________________
you know what i ride or you will learn
BlownCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #29
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCJ
taking off for maryland on the 950 tommorow to go to the family reunion ........ im going to try to do the fan next week .... you are on your own for the wiring but ill show ya what i came up with that clears the decompresson lever on the valave cover

Barry
Great. I look forward to seeing what you've done. BTW, I grew up in MD (Glen Burnie/Severna Park). What parts ya headed for?
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #30
BlownCJ
dangerous rider ?
 
BlownCJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Powder Springs GA
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Great. I look forward to seeing what you've done. BTW, I grew up in MD (Glen Burnie/Severna Park). What parts ya headed for?
wuz headed for can you say 450 miles in 12 hours in the rain ???? i got 1/3 way there and it seemed as the rain was following me ........... went buy ktm shop today and got some stuff needed im on this project this weekend ................. ill get this thing built and see about wiring btw im converting to lighter adv so dont be surprised when i post pics

Barry
__________________
you know what i ride or you will learn
BlownCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014