ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #15181
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
You need a tuffer one to follow a DR or a Versys with a cop engine.

That'd be Dljocky and Jdrocks there with ya?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #15182
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
What a badass, changin your own tires. I have yet to do that on the Ktm. $15 for someone else to mount and balance them for me is worth my monies.
It might look like I'm changing a tire, but really I'm just goofing off in good company.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #15183
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
TSO coming to Hampton next weekend: Who's going?
I'll be at Laurel Fork...but otherwise I'd be here.

Funny thing about this is that about a week ago, I happened to find the their BLN CD, released 12 years ago, and started listening to it on the way to work. I'd forgotten how good it was, and especially how good the female singer was.

I looked up the female singer from the album online (it was Patty Russo, who also sang for Meat Loaf in the 90s), and found that TSO just rereleased this album a few weeks ago and is now touring again to support it.

Russo has since been replaced by Chloe Lowery (Who sang for Yanni). She's also got one hell of a voice.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #15184
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
I saw TSO this past Fall. Chris Cafferty was amazing, as were all the musicians. Worth the dough to go!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #15185
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
TSO coming to Hampton next weekend: Who's going?
I'll be at Laurel Fork...but otherwise I'd be here.

Funny thing about this is that about a week ago, I happened to find the their BLN CD, released 12 years ago, and started listening to it on the way to work. I'd forgotten how good it was, and especially how good the female singer was.

I looked up the female singer from the album online (it was Patty Russo, who also sang for Meat Loaf in the 90s), and found that TSO just rereleased this album a few weeks ago and is now touring again to support it.

Russo has since been replaced by Chloe Lowery (Who sang for Yanni). She's also got one hell of a voice.

Yes, she does.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #15186
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I saw TSO this past Fall. Chris Cafferty was amazing, as were all the musicians. Worth the dough to go!
Me too! mid November maybe. Took my wife and girls. It's a cool show. I thought it was very retro - lazers, pyrotechnics, big cat walk over the audience. Long haired rockers doing the Angus Young thing to rocking versions of Nutcrakcer suite. The kids had never seen anything like it..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #15187
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Barring an all-day monsoon on Saturday, I plan on heading west to recon the dual-sport route I will be leading during the Morton’s Spring Fling next month. I will take 60 to 56 and then start the loop that travels up to Nellysford, up and around Afton to Sherando, down some gravel roads back to 56W, past Crabtree Falls, down Irish Creek Rd towards Buena Vista, head south past Panther Falls, down to Otter Creek, up FR 39 to Alhambra road and then back down 56 to head home.
The loop is 108 miles plus the 4+ hours (208 miles) travel time to and from Chester to Shady Lane where 56 and 151 meet. My flexible plan is to be home by 6:30 pm.
The dual sport sections are tame, nice, level gravel/dirt roads to suit all levels of riding, although rain could make things interesting. All are welcome to come along. This will be a leisurely ride with a lunch stop. I plan on leaving Chester around 0800. Locals can meet me at The Whistle Stop gas station just south of the intersection of Old Lane and Chester Rd (across from the Food Lion). I will gladly stop and pick up anyone else anywhere along 60 (Midlothian Turnpike) as well.

I have started to sort through the 1800 pictures and videos from my awesome RawHyde/Base Camp Alpha/Mojave trip. I am going to post a few of them with a brief ride report soon…
Whistle stop at 8AM? You really are trying to cut into my Zzzzz time. I'm not Michhub but I rarely make it to work by 8:30. You might need to spot me a couple minutes in the morning.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #15188
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
What a badass, changin your own tires. I have yet to do that on the Ktm. $15 for someone else to mount and balance them for me is worth my monies.
Wow. They must be a good friend. You certainly couldn't pay me to change and balance a tire for $15.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #15189
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Eppa changes and balances a tire for $20

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80

JHVA screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 12:24 PM
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #15190
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
OK, I thought I had just about every special tool known to man in my garage, please tell me what the ironing board is used for. I don't have one in my garage, never had the use for one, my hand doesn't fit a iron, that's is why cleaners are in business. Do we press our Aerostich before we ride?
No "we" do not press out 'Stich before we ride..... We don't have no sticking 'Stich. Like Guy said, the Jeff be a bit on the frugal side. OTOH, I do iron my shop rags when they come out of the dryer.

Go figure though. Do a fellow ADV'r a favor and then realize your knickers are exposed in the background. There's no mention of the way cool BMW neon clock, the black and blue bowling shirt, the /2 in the background, nor of the magically rigid chain hanging on the wall as a testament to poor maintenance. Do they see any of that? Noooooooooo.

j

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #15191
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Wow. They must be a good friend. You certainly couldn't pay me to change and balance a tire for $15.
Me either.... and I'll be straight up (and some of you already know this): mount and balance $20 off the bike; $40 if they're on the bike.

EDIT: And I think that is most reasonable considering the time and work involved in getting the wheels off some bikes... especially if accessories get in the way and need to be removed to even get to the axle hardware.

Comments welcome.

Guy Young screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 01:55 PM
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #15192
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Whistle stop at 8AM? You really are trying to cut into my Zzzzz time. I'm not Michhub but I rarely make it to work by 8:30. You might need to spot me a couple minutes in the morning.
No problem...we can go later. Unfortunately, my kids wake up at 0630 regardless if it's a workday, weekend or vacation. I'll call you tonight, the weather is still iffy, we will get wet and that's okay with me. I just don't want to get poured on with lightning bolts shooting around my head all day while trying to take notes and mark waypoints on my GPS.

I got a e-mail from UPS this morning stating that my new kevlar suit is on the way! What?! The box weighs 18 pounds!?

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 09:53 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #15193
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Something about this doesn't look right.

Just can't put my finger on it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #15194
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Guy, I think the tiller only has 2 wheels and some handlebars so it is close. Dragging hard parts is normal for those.

Eddy, I wasn't really griping about starting early, mostly indicating you might wave to wait a couple minutes for me. Rain is OK but I do see the forecast is getting to look sketchy. Although when I check it via weather.com instead of wunderground or weather.gov, it does not look as bad.

I'm going to be optimistic and just assume tomorrow will be wet and hope for less thunder.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #15195
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Guy, I think the tiller only has 2 wheels and some handlebars so it is close. Dragging hard parts is normal for those.

Eddy, I wasn't really griping about starting early, mostly indicating you might wave to wait a couple minutes for me. Rain is OK but I do see the forecast is getting to look sketchy. Although when I check it via weather.com instead of wunderground or weather.gov, it does not look as bad.

I'm going to be optimistic and just assume tomorrow will be wet and hope for less thunder.
LOL!

I almost put my tie down straps on it for effect, but figured I'd just jump into the task at hand instead.

It's done, and Greg is on his way to pick it up.