ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #16456
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Looking for a 6 hp outboard motor

Anybody know of someone with a older 6 hp either Johnson or Evinrude short shaft outboard motor for sale.

I'm not looking for a piece of junk or another boat anchor, I want a nice running piece. PM me if you know of someone. Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #16457
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,496
Anybody know?

On Route 60, about 3 miles east of the parkway there is an intersection. Map shows road names as: to the north - Pedlar River Rd, south FS Dept 39 - aka resevoir road.

The south bound goes down to the Lynchburg resevoir. Can't tell crap about it from the maps I have, nor google maps. Is it gravel? Is it open or gated?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #16458
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,378
Last time I rode it, gravel. Been a couple of years. Brings you down next to the water. Easy to do on a big bike. JD Moore lives really close to there and is an expert in the area trails.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16459
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
On Route 60, about 3 miles east of the parkway there is an intersection. Map shows road names as: to the north - Pedlar River Rd, south FS Dept 39 - aka resevoir road.

The south bound goes down to the Lynchburg resevoir. Can't tell crap about it from the maps I have, nor google maps. Is it gravel? Is it open or gated?
I was over that way at the end of June, I saw two raods heading to the reservior, one was gravel the other was a two lane dirt trail, both were DS friendly.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #16460
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,496
cool, thanks guys. I've come upon that reservoir from the south before, several years ago, and continued on some dirt roads and two track up to 60. Thinking it must have been that road (FS 39/reservoir rd). Next time I'm out there will check 'er out.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #16461
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Open, and easy gravel. Been down it on the vstrom until I ran I to pavement again. Follow the pavement west and it turns to gravel again quickly and goes to the parkway at Robeson gap.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #16462
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

V-strom rear brake update

I replaced the line and fluid for the rear brake. It seems those Galfer SS lines are a lot skinnier than the OEM. I decided to wait on the front since it was getting dark and I usually only want to test ride one unknown braking system at a time. At first it didn't look good. I stood on the rear brake and started off in first. It didn't make a real difference although it did make a noise. After about 50 attempts at stopping by literally standing on the rear brake, it started to improve, there was an actual reduction in speed. About 50 more attempts and the pads had seated enough they started to grip and it was able to slide the rear tire a little as I came to a stop. I guess between the line and the old fluid, it never put enough pressure on to actually seat the pads I put on last year. Now I can think of it as something that can stop the bike versus something to use to turn on the brake light.

The caliper works smoothly. It wasn't that it was binding. I think it was old fluid and a spongy line on a brake that is not great to start with.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 08:05 PM Reason: spelling because spell chack makes sure
Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #16463
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
I had a set of spony flex lines on a civic. I would have no brake...slowly brake...then BRAKE!!! So I just gave the whole thing to my ex
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #16464
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
I had a set of spony flex lines on a civic. I would have no brake...slowly brake...then BRAKE!!! So I just gave the whole thing to my ex
you are my HERO...
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #16465
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
you are my HERO...
Maybe, but then I think to myself "he gave her a car."
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #16466
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,106
More garage cleaning!

Several sets of leather riding gloves (come take your pick) $12 per pair

Eclipse tankbag $25

Marsee tankbag $30 SOLD

Cortech Saddlebags and tailpack, saddlebags or tailpack can be used alone or zipped all together, like new, $125 SOLD

Saving for Brenda. Goofy looking red half helmet $20, free if you wear it on our next mud road DS ride and let me take your picture at the end of the day!

Child Backpack Carrier (very handy, keeps hands free when carrying junior!)
http://richmond.craigslist.org/bab/3113276343.html

Britax Car Seat $30
http://richmond.craigslist.org/bab/3113265565.html

R1200GS Headlight and oil cooler guard: No longer availabile

R1200GS Cee Bailey "Winglets" $25
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post19148431

Icon Military Spec Vest, like new. $30 SOLD

His and hers, Harley style leather police jackets (his 46 chest, hers 38), with chaps (Yes, I am absolutely mortified to admit that we actually wore these during rides on our Road King Classic!) $150 for all Amazingly, spoken for and pending payment tomorrow!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 07:54 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #16467
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I replaced the line and fluid for the rear brake. It seems those Galfer SS lines are a lot skinnier than the OEM. I decided to wait on the front since it was getting dark and I usually only want to test ride one unknown braking system at a time. At first it didn't look good. I stood on the rear brake and started off in first. It didn't make a real difference although it did make a noise. After about 50 attempts at stopping by literally standing on the rear brake, it started to improve, there was an actual reduction in speed. About 50 more attempts and the pads had seated enough they started to grip and it was able to slide the rear tire a little as I came to a stop. I guess between the line and the old fluid, it never put enough pressure on to actually seat the pads I put on last year. Now I can think of it as something that can stop the bike versus something to use to turn on the brake light.

The caliper works smoothly. It wasn't that it was binding. I think it was old fluid and a spongy line on a brake that is not great to start with.
Maybe mine works because I use the rear in conjunction with the front every time I stop, and often as my speed drops below 20ish I'll release the front and do the last bit with the rear.

But I never have to stand on it.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #16468
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Maybe mine works because I use the rear in conjunction with the front every time I stop, and often as my speed drops below 20ish I'll release the front and do the last bit with the rear.

But I never have to stand on it.
I generally press on it when I stop too. It just didn't have any noticeable affect on speed. On gravel/dirt I would tried to use it without the front because I felt the traction was iffy and found that it did not have any capability to stop the bike. That is why I replaced the line and the fluid. I'll admit I should of looked at it sooner, but it was one of those things where I kept reading everyone else say theirs wasn't very good either and assumed it was normal for the DL650 rear brake to not do much. Last night When I went for my test ride I was initially very disappointed in the results. I was surprised at the change in braking performance between when I started that ride and when I finished. I won't claim I am really thrilled about the rear brake performance but I am glad that it does actually work now. The pads finally seating properly is about the only thing I can think of to explain the difference from start to finish. If I stood on the brake like that on my WR or my old ninja 250, I would of been sideways in no time.

Hopefully I will be able to replace the front lines and adjust the rear brake pedal tonight. The rear brake seems pretty low when it engages. I have to move my foot through almost 45 degrees of motion.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #16469
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

Hopefully I will be able to replace the front lines and adjust the rear brake pedal tonight. The rear brake seems pretty low when it engages. I have to move my foot through almost 45 degrees of motion.
That seems like a lot as well. Maybe the did put a better brake on the ABS bikes I've never ridden a Strom without it.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #16470
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

His and hers, Harley style leather police jackets (his 46 chest, hers 38), with chaps (Yes, I am absolutely mortified to admit that we actually wore these during rides on our Road King Classic!) $150 for all
What, no Craigslist link for this? How you going to sell that stuff without photos?