ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #16771
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Some kinda Lowrance marine GPS....

If you need a marine GPS to make a water crossing, you may be doing it wrong. I always thought a 1200GS was kind of boatish
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #16772
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Clutch Slave update

Well.....
I put it all back together and the problem was still there so I called Stewart at Morton's. There seems to be a history of slave cylinder failures on the big GS. Since the wife was already up there (shopping) she picked a new one up for $150. Stewart said he would install it for around $550. Lets see .... $150 vs $550? I took the bike apart AGAIN and installed it myself. Second time around only took me about 20 minutes to drop the wheel, shock and slave cylinder.

I only got a couple miles in for a test ride before it started getting dark. So far so good. The clutch engages a little sooner than before but Im sure it has to settle in before it finds its final starting point. If the weather holds up tomorrow I will take it out for a good test run.

Thanks for all the advise. My fingers are crossed.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #16773
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 559
look what I found

out doing my job and I found this guy that likes 2 work on old bikes
says he doesn't want 2 sell them

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #16774
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 105
Stolen Bike

Some piece of shit stole my bike from my backyard last night. It's a '98 Suzuki DR650. Any info will be helpful. I'm located in southside Richmond.

Pic:

schlitz screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 10:44 AM
schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #16775
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
Some piece of shit stole my bike from my backyard last night. It's a '98 Suzuki DR650. Any info will be helpful. I'm located in southside RVA.

Pic:
Where in south side? P'burg, Hopewell, Colonial Heights?

I'll keep my eyes open. Have you filed a police report yet?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #16776
schlitz
the slow one

Richmond. Yep, police report has been filed.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #16777
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Some piece of shit stole my bike from my backyard last night. It's a '98 Suzuki DR650. Any info will be helpful. I'm located in southside Richmond.
Damn, that royally sucks...I'll keep my eyes & ears open.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #16778
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,378
Saw someone stole your bike on Craigslist. Didn't you just get it? I hope you find it soon bro.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #16779
schlitz
the slow one

Yep. I brought it home on Monday. As soon as I filed the police report I've been posting it all over the web. Maybe I'll get lucky. Needless to say my Yamaha has a BIG chain on it right now.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #16780
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:

Pic:
Dude!! that sucks.

Hope you get it back.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #16781
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Sunday

Wow ..... Sorry about the bike. I hope they catch the idiots soon. When they do give them what they deserve!

Anyone going to Poe's, Bikes in the Bottom tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be good. Thinking about riding the CB900 over. A buddy of mine may show up on his Honda 305 Super Hawk. The 305 was my first bike.

In regards to my Clutch issue ..... the new slave cylinder didn't solve the issue. Reading over all the post .... some say they are hard to bleed and its best to bleed the system backwards using a syringe. When I went to pick up another container of Magura Bood Mineral Oil I discovered the new oil is RED, not BLUE like my last bottle. Same label. Same bottle. Im so confused. Anyway, I retro flushed the system this afternoon with the new RED oil but then it started to rain. I guess I'll just let everything sit and settle overnight then bleed it again in the am and go for a ride.

No where in the forums can I find anyone having a bad clutch master cylinder, just bad slave cylinders. The rebuild kits are almost as expensive as a new master cylinder. Decisions. Decisions.

skychs screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 04:03 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #16782
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Wow ..... Sorry about the bike. I hope they catch the idiots soon. When they do give them what they deserve!

Anyone going to Poe's, Bikes in the Bottom tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be good. Thinking about riding the CB900 over. A buddy of mine may show up on his Honda 305 Super Hawk. The 305 was my first bike.

In regards to my Clutch issue ..... the new slave cylinder didn't solve the issue. Reading over all the post .... some say they are hard to bleed and its best to bleed the system backwards using a syringe. When I went to pick up another container of Magura Bood Mineral Oil I discovered the new oil is RED, not BLUE like my last bottle. Same label. Same bottle. Im so confused. Anyway, I retro flushed the system this afternoon with the new RED oil but then it started to rain. I guess I'll just let everything sit and settle overnight then bleed it again in the am and go for a ride. However, I don't know Beemers and I'm a poor mechanic.

No where in the forums can I find anyone having a bad clutch master cylinder, just bad slave cylinders. The rebuild kits are almost as expensive as a new master cylinder. Decisions. Decisions.

I started using automatic transmission fluid in all my Magura setups several years ago. Both bikes have had many miles on them and a couple of trips out west. AT fluid works great. Seems like I have to push in the fluid through the slave up to the master. I don't think a master is bad unless the rubber diaphram is bad or the o ring seal or what ever you have.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #16783
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,516
Damn bike thieves. Hope you get it back.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #16784
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

In regards to my Clutch issue ..... the new slave cylinder didn't solve the issue. Reading over all the post .... some say they are hard to bleed and its best to bleed the system backwards using a syringe. When I went to pick up another container of Magura Bood Mineral Oil I discovered the new oil is RED, not BLUE like my last bottle. Same label. Same bottle. Im so confused. Anyway, I retro flushed the system this afternoon with the new RED oil but then it started to rain. I guess I'll just let everything sit and settle overnight then bleed it again in the am and go for a ride.

A waste of money w/the blue or red stuff; use ATF. I have a power bleeder if needed.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #16785
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Geez! I leave the area for three days and the place turns to $hit. Bad clutch bits, stolen bikes, etc.