ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #17371
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Went riding to day, but not as planned. Rode the WR up to Wawa to put air in the tires. I then noticed it had a small coolant leak from the radiator hose. Rode home and investigated further. Looks like a small slit in the hose under the hose clamp.

So I went out on the DL instead. The DL is good for curvy roads and long distwnce, but when I was on a rough dirt road and was passed by a little yami dirt bike, I was wishing for the little WR.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #17372
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,282
Cleaning house and getting rid of unused or unloved stuff...

Leather Joe Rocket riding pants $100: http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3277103143.html

Elliptical (Like new) $700: Never surprise your wife with exercise equipment, it will NEVER be recieved well : http://richmond.craigslist.org/spo/3255276417.html

SOLD
Brooks Brothers Cashmere sweater (Large): Stupid expensive, but feels like heaven and it should last many years...http://richmond.craigslist.org/clo/3277263499.html

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 08:43 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #17373
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

Elliptical (Like new) $700: Never surprise your wife exercise equipment, it will NEVER be recieved well : http://richmond.craigslist.org/spo/3255276417.html
Uh, Honey. Remember when you asked me is those jeans made your butt look fat?

Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #17374
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
Elliptical (Like new) $700: Never surprise your wife exercise equipment, it will NEVER be recieved well : http://richmond.craigslist.org/spo/3255276417.html
Wow, Eddy. Hopefully that wasn't a birthday or anniversary gift. I am sure that went over as good as when my ex-wife bought me a microwave for my birthday. It was just like the microwave we already had except black. She didn't get my bewilderment.

My advice, never surprise your spouse with anything unless you absolutely know it is something they will like and not be insulted by.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #17375
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
My advice, never surprise your spouse with anything unless you absolutely know it is something they will like and not be insulted by.
Yep...This mistake cost me cost me a trip to Bookbinders and two front row tickets to the theater. LOL!

Chuck, it looks like a good time to head back to Maine for cheap lobster!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/09/canadian-fishermen-boiling-mad-over-maine-lobsters/?intcmp=trending

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 10:14 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #17376
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Wow, Eddy. Hopefully that wasn't a birthday or anniversary gift. I am sure that went over as good as when my ex-wife bought me a microwave for my birthday. It was just like the microwave we already had except black. She didn't get my bewilderment.

Kind, relatively new newlywed, sir....one will never figure out what that something might be. After 34 years, I still haven't been able to figure it out.

I stopped trying and no longer buy anything for her.... altho' I will say I never got anything she might consider insulting. She just buys her own "stuff"; I buy mine.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #17377
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
The big pig has been put on a diet and is ready for the BMW GS Trophy Challenge this weekend in Greer, SC!! Can't wait to see what type of mischief Eddy and I can get our selves into Be on the look out for some pictures of the GS's in trouble.

Before:

After:

Stay tuned -- BMW wants the entrants to use social media to promote ourselves so keep any eye out for a Facebook page if I can figure out how to make one.

-Half
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #17378
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Eddy and Andrew, Good luck this weekend in the GS Trophy !
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #17379
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
The GS looks good Half!

Last Friday I set out for Harrisonburg to look at an XT225. I think at this point I'm leaning more toward a DR200 -- an inmate has offered to let me spend some time buzzing around on hers in the near future, so that should help settle the coin toss.

My other ride-related goal of the weekend was to try to get my groove back after finding my wall and banging my head against it last weekend. Got off to an interesting start when a buzzard hit me. My GS now has feathers :

Upside -- after last weekend's baby heads, I was able to ride out the resulting wobble. Downside -- that didn't do much for helping me get my groove back. So the bit of riding I did Saturday was pretty much a variation of the following:

Come Sunday I sought more variations of this to include in the mix:

I can't say I was as comfortable off-road as previously (I was going gawdawfulslow on the downhills and through the turns), but I was out there and didn't drop the bike, plus I was finally enjoying the twisties again, so all in all I call the weekend a step in the right direction. And hey, the slow pace afforded Hack an opportunity to stop and take a bunch of pictures along the way.

BTW, Freaking RT -- Hack and I stopped to have lunch at the Little Grill Collective in Harrisonburg. We were not disappointed. Definitely will return to sample more goodness from their menu!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #17380
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
RTE this coming Friday (09-21-12)

I missed last Friday's get-together at The Alamo, so just curious what venue was discussed for the Friday coming up?

???????????

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #17381
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

I've come very close to hitting a few buzzards and I keep wondering when it will happen. Now I know that it really does happen. Glad you made it through relatively unscathed.

On the going slow off road, I was taking the DL through leading Ridge RD near Todd lake in the GW national forest Sunday, when I realized that while it wasn't bad, it really was no where as near as much fun as riding my 250 through there was about a month ago. Having someone pass me on a little XT or similar yami, really drove home the point.

On the Dual sports, is your issue weight, height or both? You won't get much light than about 275lbs without going to a pure offroad model and on the height, there are things that can be done. You'll give up a little ground clearance, but with sag set correctly, forks slid up in the clamps and lower links, you should be able to get any of the 250cc bikes to work for you. Dropping displacement in order to save weight does not get you too far. Engines don't drop much in weight but they do drop in power very quickly.

Also have you seen this thread: The shortypants thread

On the way home yesterday, I had to push myself as I've gotten into a rut where I will only lean the bike but so far. The bike will lean farther, but mentally I had a block that said it couldn't. Had to force myself to get past it. I find if I ride off road, and get nervous about traction, then I'll lose confidence in traction on the street too. Of course, I have not been riding hardly at all, which always resets the confidence meter too.

Also, as a side note, mortgage junk is driving me nuts. I never thought my company getting me an Amex card would cause this much hassle with getting a loan. It would be nice if the bank would hurry up and tell us when we can expect to close.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 12:14 PM Reason: added link to the shortypants thread
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #17382
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Whats up with hitting buzzards. I have hit two so far one on my dr650 and one just the other weekend on the gs! They will scare the crap out of you.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #17383
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Critters

In the last 10 years I've hit 3 Buzzards, one Great Blue Huron (that SOB Sh*t all over me), three birds through the front spokes of the bike (they frooked the radiator up with feathers on the Connie), 5 squirrels, two Possums and one Skunk.

I have missed probably 100 deer on my morning commute to RT 95 heading to DC, that's the problem leaving in the country, this time of year the deer get really stupid. I came terribly close to hitting one on the BRP a week ago this past Friday on the way to Willville. That one left a starfish in my new Sargent seat. The ABS on the big GSA was working overtime that day and probably saved my hind parts.

Last November I almost got myself two cows and a bunch of sheep on the way to Paint Bank. If I was a cat I would have lost my 9 lives years ago.

I need to find stickers of critters that I could put on my bike like the old WW II pilots used to use when they shot down a German or Jap plane.

The wife got mauled by Seagulls on the way to Chincoteague Is in 2004. The bike hit and killed 4, she was hit by 3, she didn't get sh*t on though , something is wrong with this.....................
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #17384
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Regarding the GS Trophy, part of this event is being held here: http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/

See below for a description of one of the trails we are riding. Unfortunately, It's drizzling there now, it is going to rain hard all day tomorrow and then maybe some more on Thursday! At least Fri-Sun looks great for the GoPro!

The "Water Cooler":
This is an easy little set of sand trails (easy sand trails?) when the water hole in each is low. However after heavy rain it could have 30 or 40 inches of water in the holes. Bad things can happen, Bad Things! Between these two trails is an 8 Foot deep water hole Stay out! The Water Cooler has eaten several u-joints, axles and buried more than one truck to the headers in dry sand or deep water.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #17385
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Regrding the GS Trophy, part of this event is being held here: http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/

See below for a description of one of the trails we are riding. Unfortunately, It's drizzling there now, it is going to rain hard all day tomorrow and then maybe some more on Thursday! At least Fri-Sun looks great for the GoPro!

The "Water Cooler":
This is an easy little set of sand trails (easy sand trails?) when the water hole in each is low. However after heavy rain it could have 30 or 40 inches of water in the holes. Bad things can happen, Bad Things! Between these two trails is an 8 Foot deep water hole Stay out! The Water Cooler has eaten several u-joints, axles and buried more than one truck to the headers in dry sand or deep water.
Eddy,

Hook up snorkles to the TB's, it sounds like you will be needed them