ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #17941
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Obligatory RTE Food Pic ...

Missed those that couldn't make it. We even had Buz (yes, THE Buz) chat us up. (Friend of Jimmy (FOJ).

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #17942
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Yup, attendance was a little sparse today - but - the beautiful people were there.

The venue:

My vittles - beef brisket sandwich with sides:

Jimmy and Hig enjoying each other's company:

Jimmy's son and girlfriend joined us a little late:

Bikes in the lot:

As Hig said, was nice to meet one of the owners.

Good time.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #17943
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Sorry I missed today

Hey guys sorry I missed today...I had some jokers show up at my house this morning to pick up and engine I sold them.
When I say pick up, I literally mean they thought they could pick the engine up off the floor and into the truck. This was a 4.9 Liter Straight 6. They walked up and gave me the money and I rolled it out in front of the garage and said,"your gonna need more than 2 of you if you think you can lift this."
After an hour they left...came back at 11:30 with a cherry picker and loaded it right up. I'm not a brain surgeon, but I know its gonna take a couple more than 2 guys and me to pick up a car engine...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #17944
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Okay, and now for some motorcycle stuff

Is there anyone besides Pete and I who might be going to the Antique/Classic Bike show tomorrow? JHVA, aren't you kinda into Japanese bikes? This is a show that is focused on Japanese makes. Would be neat to get a little crowd to show up there.

I'm smiling because I just breathed life back into my little "81 KZ550. It had set for a couple of years (in CL speak that means 4-6 years). But I gently pulled the carb bank, went thru it, cleaned the old fuel out of the tank, dropped a new battery into it ...... and she fired right up. Sat there purring like a kitten. The turn signals are a bit slow, but I'll pull all the contacts and clean them. That should be all it takes.

I'll be taking three bikes so I will be in the car with the trailer. Hope to see some of yous guys there. Bring out the old stuff!! They don't even have to run or be plated. I'm running all mine because they need it.

For those of you without a sense of nostalgia, turn away now. This next picture is not going to be pretty. It's me and my brand new 1981 KZ550, the day I brought it home from the dealer. Instamatic cameras weren't known for their quality.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 12:55 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #17945
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Is there anyone besides Pete and I who might be going to the Antique/Classic Bike show tomorrow? JHVA, aren't you kinda into Japanese bikes? This is a show that is focused on Japanese makes. Would be neat to get a little crowd to show up there.
I'm planning on being there. Sounds like a hoot.

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #17946
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Jeff, that is a scary picture. I don't know if I had a picture of myself like that I would be showing it off.

Also be careful out there. Just had a reminder of the stupid people that are driving around out there. I was in my jetta on monument this afternoon when someone in another car crossing monument didn't yield and hit my car in the left rear wheel. The blue on my wheel is from their missing license plate I believe. Luckily no one was injured.

This is the kind of driver that would kill a motorcyclist and say she didn't see them. They are out there.

jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #17947
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Jeff, I had that ones bigger brother. Mine was an '84 GPz750 that I bought new in '84. This was the second (and last) new bike I ever bought. Traded it in '94 with 96,000 miles on the ODO for my first Connie, an '86 with 9K on it..

Nice bike, even tho' it's performance was a little lackluster.

And yes. Gonna try to get out to Houston's tomorrow for a bit. Wife doing another yard sale and not sure how much I'm going to be needed.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #17948
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 571
I used to have this same bike and LOVED IT.

Wish I never had sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Jeff, I had that ones bigger brother. Mine was an '84 GPz750 that I bought new in '84. This was the second (and last) new bike I ever bought. Traded it in '94 with 96,000 miles on the ODO for my first Connie, an '86 with 9K on it..

Nice bike, even tho' it's performance was a little lackluster.

And yes. Gonna try to get out to Houston's tomorrow for a bit. Wife doing another yard sale and not sure how much I'm going to be needed.

Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #17949
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Rctr

Jimmy, you have a couple of PMs.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #17950
Hack

Oddometer: 3,793
Love that KZ Jeff. Is that the one that was sitting in the front of the store for a bit?
I'm a member of the wish I never sold it (twice) club. My 76 KZ 900 with a 1075 kit.

Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #17951
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

[/CENTER]
Is that an old school Celica? Cool.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #17952
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,706
good tag ride tomorrow
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8670 :

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #17953
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I used to have this same bike and LOVED IT.

Wish I never had sold it.
Mine was beginning to get a little tired and starting to use some oil. If I had the shop then that I do now, probably would have kept it and freshened it up.

Think what really "killed" it was a trip up to WI one year. I was pushing some terrible head winds across OH, IN, and IL. Think I was about to stick a piston or two, or three, or four at one point because it was beginning to die. Pulled over to the side of the road and let it cool down for a spell, then headed off again. Seemed to run okay, but noticed on the way back home it was using oil, which was unusual; it never used any oil. Traded it shortly after I got back.

I got it at the shop in Lynchburg where I used to work. The owner told me when I left that if I wanted a bike, he'd sell it to me at his cost + shipping. I really wanted one of the “new” Ninja 900's that had just come out, but he couldn't get one because they were in such short supply. He had the GPz and gave me a hellava deal on it – but – came with a couple of problems. The yahoo who set it up pinched the two float bowl vent tubes under the battery hold-down clamp. Even tho' it ran fine for the couple of days I was tooling around Lynchburg, the bike started to run like crap when I got to Appomattox...... in the rain. Made it almost to Farmville and decided to pull over under an overpass and see what the Hades was going on. That's when I saw the pinched vent lines. Corrected that, and it ran fine after that the rest of the way home.

Also found that the factory had installed a rear wheel on the bike from the 750 turbo. It's rear brake disk was thicker, but a little smaller in diameter. Saw that when I went to replace the brake pads for the first time. They replaced the entire rear wheel under warranty..... which was dumb; just needed the rotor.

The pisser came in '86 when Kawasaki came out with the Concours. Saw the eval report in Rider magazine (which I still have) and lusted for one of them. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the resources at the time to buy another new bike. When I found the used one in Chester, purely by accident, I struck a deal with the owner for a trade and as they say, the rest is history. Joined COG shortly thereafter and worked my way up the ranks from NEAAD (Northeast Assistant Area Director), Technical Editor, NEAD (Northeast Area Director), and finally the grand International poobah of the entire Group, Executive Director. It was a good ride, but decided to let it all go and become a “civilian” a couple of years ago.

I still belong to the Group as a Life Time Member and attend as many of their functions as I can.... hence the trip to Matamoras, PA at the end of next week for their NE Fall Foliage Rally. I will see people there that I met the very first year I joined. They have become life long friends and I look forward to spending what time I/we have together.

Apologies for my life history.............

Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #17954
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Love that KZ Jeff. Is that the one that was sitting in the front of the store for a bit?
I'm a member of the wish I never sold it (twice) club. My 76 KZ 900 with a 1075 kit.
There's a fella up the street that has one is near pristine condition. Just haven't mustered up the courage to approach, and ask him to sell it.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #17955
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Is that an old school Celica? Cool.
Yup. My cadet car. '76 Toyota Celica GT Liftback. The Japanese answer to the Mustang fastback. I loved that car, but it died on the autobahn in Germany in 1985. RIP. You just don't see them around anymore.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote