ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #18211
Hack

Oddometer: 3,718
Wow Im surprised your getting so upset Chuck. I know my V-Strom can do all the above and has done, some while pulling a trailer 2-up. Ask GSA_Pilot. Goldwings can do it as well. Not tryin to get into a pissing contest by any means and don't think Boon was either.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #18212
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
While yinz were busy bashing bikes, I ran out to get stuff for my dinner tonight... oyster stew like my mom used to make - NOT - the chowder they were serving up in Urbanna.

"yinz"

Sounds like you should have been out buying pierogies and some cold Iron City 'nat for the Stiller game this afternoon.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #18213
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Milk ,butter,onion, salt pepper and bread? That was my mom's oyster stew. Maybe some bacon if left from breakfast . Ready in ten min.. Yum
That's basically it, except I prefer oyster crackers over the bread. I also like a little cream thrown in to thicken it up a bit.

I'm ready to fix it now, but will "force" myself to wait until this evening.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #18214
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
"yinz"

Sounds like you should have been out buying pierogies and some cold Iron City 'nat for the Stiller game this afternoon.
Yup, I'm from that area (Latrobe).

My sister is the pierogi expert and makes up some danged good ones. If I still lived in the area, I'd settle into the Primantis' down on the Strip and watch the game.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #18215
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 914
Just playing

No....No..... I'm not upset and I apologize if it came across that way. My intentions were simply to support the abilities of the "big" GS and the GS family. It gets old hearing the GS is not designed to go off road or that it should not be taken off road. I respect anyone's choice to take any kind of bike anywhere they want to take it. Dang..... this was supposed to fun.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #18216
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,068
Chuck, I wasn't bashing on you or anyone who takes big bikes off road. I think Mickey was expressing an opinion that it isn't for him. I share the opinion, because I personally don't feel like I'm having that much fun when wrestling something that weighs 2.5 times my weight over rough terrain.

I've seen you ride your GS and have great confidence that you can get it through most anything you want. Glad that you upgraded your skid plate because I know you take care of your bikes.

There might be some dirt bike purist out there who call you crazy because you can't race motor cross with a GS and be competitive, but that is just a different strokes for different folks kind of thing and the fact that some people can't get their heads out of racing.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #18217
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
No....No..... I'm not upset and I apologize if it came across that way. My intentions were simply to support the abilities of the "big" GS and the GS family. It gets old hearing the GS is not designed to go off road or that it should not be taken off road. I respect anyone's choice to take any kind of bike anywhere they want to take it. Dang..... this was supposed to fun.
You're still pi$$ed that they didn't have any beer at the Festival.

I can tell.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #18218
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Give'm hell Chuck . I am right behind ya!

Cause I'm a bit slower than you.

Quote:
That's basically it, except I prefer oyster crackers over the bread. I also like a little cream thrown in to thicken it up a bit.

I'm ready to fix it now, but will "force" myself to wait until this evening.

I did the upgrade to half and half and crackers too... She used what she had and that was that.

I think the stale white bread was used to thicken.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #18219
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
You must be stuck on a layover.

So here is something funny. Guess who bought some turn signal running light adapters from 12oclock labs and installed them before realizing that having yellow rear facing running lights is a no no? Luckily I have not finished re-assembly and it is all pretty much plug-n-play.

I also pulled my FMF fuel programmer off the bike. Being color blind I have no hope of being able to adjust it anyway. I can't tell when the LEDs are what color to see what I am adjusting. It shouldn't be a big deal since I have factory exhaust.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #18220
Hack

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Give'm hell Chuck . I am right behind ya!
Oh and thats supposed to make him feel better?

PM recieved Chuck Its all good sorry I missed the inside joke between yinz but I won't stew over it
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #18221
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 914
Gs

Thanks Blooch ...... buddy, Pal. I still owe you $10 for the shirt. Don't let me forget. I doubt your slower than I am and I know your girlfriend is faster than me. We need to ride more often.

Guy ..... the wife just went out to get me some beer. Who ever heard of the Urbanna Oyster Festival going DRY ????

Jeremy ..... believe it or not I'm at home. I start a 4 day trip tomorrow.

Is everyone awake now?
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #18222
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Oh and thats supposed to make him feel better?

PM recieved Chuck Its all good sorry I missed the inside joke between yinz but I won't stew over it
That's good. I like it.

Which got me wondering..... how many Steel City area transplants are in the RVA-ADV area???

Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #18223
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Yup, I'm from that area (Latrobe).

My sister is the pierogi expert and makes up some danged good ones. If I still lived in the area, I'd settle into the Primantis' down on the Strip and watch the game.

Memories from Pittsburgh. Vincent's pizza, Silkys / Squirrel Hill Cafe then EatNPark for an espresso then back to the computer lab, that breakfast dive in the Strip, the symphony at $9 a seat (gotta love student rate!), climbing gym 5 mins from my row house apt, Phipps Conservatory, snow so deep that most cars gave up and the cross-country skiiers had the roads to themselves.... miss that place.

Edit: Found a climb pic from Pittsburgh.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 10:39 AM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #18224
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Andrew, Eddy, Jeff, Todd ...... Help!
Despite it's cost, seat height, history of expensive mechanical failures, barge like weight, dissing from all of the haters and limited dealer network, the BMW (Bikes Made Weird) GS is still the best selling, over 250cc, bike in the world, The GS is, and has been, the number one selling bike in the UK, Germany. In Italy, where performance and style are a religon, BMW sells more GS models than Ducati sells motorcycles!
The rest of the world gets it. Power, handling, brakes, comfort and technology all in one machine. Here in the good ole USA we love Golden Corral, Wal-Mart and supersized meals and women. As expected, 50% of bike sales here belong to HD...enough said.

Although not without it's faults as mentioned above, I agree that if you could only have only one bike, the GS reigns supreme. By changing windsheilds, seats, bags or tires, I can have a sport bike, a iron butt tourer, a (heavy) gravel road bike or a daily commuter. I love my GS. I treat her like crap, I abuse her, I have seen her literally upside down and caked in mud but she keeps on providing me with fun. Of the 50 or so streetbikes I have owned, she's one of the best, but not perfect...If I had the money, I would be happier with a 250 pound KTM, a wing and a Speed Triple. Oh wait, I forgot, Chuck... you HAVE five bikes!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 06:35 AM Reason: eye kant sphel whel
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #18225
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,221

They even get passed by KTMs just like a BMW.

Quote:
Then ride 300 miles home.
Very nearly on one tank of gas too.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 11:18 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote