ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #18331
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
What Jeremy said. I am a recovering Tag Game addict. I "saw" more of my share of the area's historic sites in the middle of the night because I knew others wouldn't be out at that time. Also visited some really spooky Civil War cemeteries in total darkness out in the middle of bum-futch nowhere. Your mind really plays nasty tricks on you when you begin to hear things that go bump in the night. One particular one down in Dinwiddie really comes to mind. I was hearing bumps in the night and in my rush to get a shot and get the heck out of there, I almost dropped the bike in a muddy section of the parking lot. I just knew my head would be found on a stake the next morning.

For me anyway, this was all pre-broadband and smart phones, so you had to take the shot and rush home to get it posted up first. The anticipation was numbing, the miles excruciating, and you hoped to Hades you didn't get a ticket trying to get back and make the post.

Those were good times.

If you are really bored, start HERE and follow the thread to the end.

Reminds me of the worst dual-sport tag I tried to get a few years ago.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...38#post9305938
03-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Well, that was horrible.

Just before my graveyard shift, I get a call from work, telling me not to come in and to work at 7:00am instead.
Can't get back to sleep, so I watch some TV and at 3:00, decide I might as well go grab the tag before work.

After getting all suited up and having the keys in the ignition, I realize I have absolutely no clue where on the road the tag is....back inside to fire up the computer again and print out the page.

Going down 81 at 3:30, I realize it's actually a bit cold.

Going down 64 at 3:45, I realize it's getting a bit foggy, both inside and outside my helmt.

Going up Afton Mountain at 4:00, I realize I can't see a fucking thing. I'm doing 30mph and just praying that the lights in front are streetlights rather than oncoming headlights.

At some point it starts pouring with rain. I don't know when this started, because there honestly wasn't much difference in the amount of water around me either way. I kept switching back between faceshield closed (Can't see shit) and open (Still can't see shit, and now there's rain in my eyes), trying to find a way to ride safely.

Got to the Tag road at 4:15, and pulled out the printout of where the tag shot was.
Must have been a printer jam--the first few pages came out fine, and then the last few pics by Mtnflow were all printed on top of each other. Screw it, I remember there's a license plate in the tag shot.
Ride to the end of the road, slowly scanning the roadside for a license plate.
Ride back, even slower.
Damned if I can find a license plate anywhere.
Time to examine the pic again---a tree. Okay, that shouldn't be too hard to find.
Ride the entire length of the road again, stopping by every single crooked tree there is. Get muddy, get wet (did I mention it's still pouring rain???) and get halfway through the road again before my engine overheats and automatically shuts itself off.
Pull into a driveway, listen as a pack of vicious hounds start barking at me, hopefully from behind a fenced yard, pull out the LED head-lamp from HBN, and start searching some more crooked trees, until eventually the engine cools and I can start it again.

Resume my searching for a crooked tree, on a section of the road with high banks on either side. I leave the head-lamp strapped to my wrist for better searching of the banks.
Come to the end of the road again.
Still can't find a license plate, and sure as hell didn't find any candy!
But, it was dark and half the time I couldn't see more than 3 feet beyond the road edge because of all the fricking fog.

Turned back again, and just started taking pictures trees along the road. Put away the camera, and road back to the start of the road one last time, examining every tree as closely as I could. Still couldn't find anything.

5:30am now, I've been searching the damn road for over an hour. It's still raining, my boots are filling up with water, and I have to work in 90 minutes.

So, I say fuck it--someone else can have the damn candy bar. At this point, I don't have time to post a new one anyway. Hell, I won't even have time to upload the pics before work.

So, I head home, getting back just after 6:30, with feet really, really cold, and wishing I had waterproof boots.

Can't resist the urge to run a really hot shower and just stand in it, unmoving, until my body temperature finally rises by at least 2 inches on the Natural Male Body Temperature Thermometer. Get to work about 15 minutes late.

And you know what I'm going to do now?

I'm going to fucking STEAL a candy bar from work. Ha! I don't need you and your impossible to find caches!!!!

...That wasn't all of it, either.

But I don't know how to explain the other part....
I think the road might be haunted.

A female voice yelled something at me around 5:15am. I couldn't understand what she said.
It was really weird. I was wearing earplugs, and could hear the voice clearly.
.....and it was coming from the passenger seat on my bike.

I seriously considered not turning back around to do the 6th pass along the road.

Also, it really didn't help my nerves after that that I was still wearing the lamp on my wrist, so randomly there would be a bright white light in my right rearview mirror.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #18332
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Well my first Tag today was uneventful thank god...if it was like skippii or guys that would be the last one I do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #18333
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
And lengthy debates over the structural state of glass during extreme temperatures.................

roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #18334
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I suspect there will be some interesting discussion around the camp fire this year.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #18335
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I was able to remember for the hour or so I had to wait. I voted for myself. I wasn't willing to wait long enough to vote again for Jeff.
Well I hate to admit it, but in spite of my voting 6 different times, I failed to be the first write-in candidate to become mayor of P-town. Dang-it. I REALLY wanted that job.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #18336
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Well I hate to admit it, but in spite of my voting 6 different times, I failed to be the first write-in candidate to become mayor of P-town. Dang-it. I REALLY wanted that job.

jeff
Jeff-
That's because you weren't as dedicated to the cause...your opponent vote 7 times...just the luck. I would think seeing the same guy every time you returned would have tipped you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #18337
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 774
RTE Breakdown

I apologize. I should have tapped someone on the shoulder two weeks ago when I was the "RTE Picker". Now we are pick-less. So let me throw this out there ... Dots Back Inn at 11:30 this Friday, for those still in town. North side, in the Bellevue neighborhood on MacArthur Avenue. Fills up quickly, but we should be OK at 11:30.

What say ye?

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #18338
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I apologize. I should have tapped someone on the shoulder two weeks ago when I was the "RTE Picker". Now we are pick-less. So let me throw this out there ... Dots Back Inn at 11:30 this Friday, for those still in town. North side, in the Bellevue neighborhood on MacArthur Avenue. Fills up quickly, but we should be OK at 11:30.

What say ye?
I'd say possible, but I have lots to do Friday.

1. Go to DMV and update my address on my license, vehicle registrations and my voter registration.
2. Find relative with a pickup truck so that I can get all the garbage left over from moving to get that side of my garage back. I expect it to take two trips.
3.Replace the defective speedodrd installed on my WR. one of the LEDs failed making it impossible to reset the correction factor after having disconnected the battery. After an email to their support, they are sending a new one. Good customer service.
4. There is something else but I cannot remember what. I'm sure it was something with the house or garage.

What kind of food does Dots serve?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #18339
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Basically an old school diner ... with decent daily specials. Place looks like it did back when it opened last century.

http://www.dotsbackrichmond.com/

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #18340
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,025
Guy,

When is the brr ride?

Scratch that, sounds like its this weekend. Count me a maybe
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi

HalfPlate screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 08:05 AM
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #18341
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Guy,

When is the brr ride?

Scratch that, sounds like its this weekend. Count me a maybe
Yup, this w/e.

Hope you can make it.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #18342
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
I'd say possible, but I have lots to do Friday.

1. Go to DMV and update my address on my license, vehicle registrations and my voter registration.
2. Find relative with a pickup truck so that I can get all the garbage left over from moving to get that side of my garage back. I expect it to take two trips.
3.Replace the defective speedodrd installed on my WR. one of the LEDs failed making it impossible to reset the correction factor after having disconnected the battery. After an email to their support, they are sending a new one. Good customer service.
4. There is something else but I cannot remember what. I'm sure it was something with the house or garage.

You should be able to do no.1 online

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #18343
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
You should be able to do no.1 online
Well, yes that is doable online except apparently the DMV doesn't realize I own a car. I changed it online and was able to update the address for my license and the registration on the two bikes. For some reason though, my Jetta is not listed.

Looks like once more into the bureaucracy I go.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #18344
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, yes that is doable online except apparently the DMV doesn't realize I own a car. I changed it online and was able to update the address for my license and the registration on the two bikes. For some reason though, my Jetta is not listed.

Looks like once more into the bureaucracy I go.
Strange.

You should be able to find it with the title number and last four digits of the VIN number.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #18345
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Am I imagining things, or was it spitting a little snow about an hour ago?

Live in Chesterfield near the corner of Belmont and Turner Roads.