ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #19336
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #19337
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 882
Greetings

Merry Christmas everyone!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #19338
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
New Years Day Ride 11AM Meet in Quinton Food Lion

Here is the information regarding the New Years Day ride that we hope that you and your friends can make for the first day of the 2013 season.

The meet up location is at the Food Lion Grocery Store --2589 New Kent Hwy. "Quinton Va.23141.

It is off I-64 "exit 205 Bottoms Bridge exit. Turn left and continue until you see the shopping center on your right. We will assemble there for a brief safety instructions before departing @ 11A.M.

JHVA will be leading the ride since I am (Rusty Gross) still on the injured reserve list and I will be in my truck to enjoy the festivities & the scenic back roads to the "Rocco's Smokehouse " in Williamsburg will be the final stopping point after the ride. You can eat there and then continue your own ride or head home to watch football and enjoy your day with the family. That is your choice. JHVA says the average prices are in the $8-10 dollar range and up. Ordering will be from your choice on the menu..This is just a fun thing to do and is not any official ride so feel free to bring your friends .

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #19339
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Here is the information regarding the New Years Day ride that we hope that you and your friends can make for the first day of the 2013 season.

The meet up location is at the Food Lion Grocery Store --2589 New Kent Hwy. "Quinton Va.23141.

It is off I-64 "exit 205 Bottoms Bridge exit. Turn left and continue until you see the shopping center on your right. We will assemble there for a brief safety instructions before departing @ 11A.M.

JHVA will be leading the ride since I am (Rusty Gross) still on the injured reserve list and I will be in my truck to enjoy the festivities & the scenic back roads to the "Rocco's Smokehouse " in Williamsburg will be the final stopping point after the ride. You can eat there and then continue your own ride or head home to watch football and enjoy your day with the family. That is your choice. JHVA says the average prices are in the $8-10 dollar range and up. Ordering will be from your choice on the menu..This is just a fun thing to do and is not any official ride so feel free to bring your friends .
I haven't been on a bike in weeks, and on my own bike since...??? I just may have to pencil this one in. Thanks for the post John!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #19340
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Merry XMas ... :)

Tires in place... :)

No lost fingers. Thankfully.

I had to make my own tire removing tools from stock steel from Lowes... and while they did work, they bent way way too easy. New proper tire tools on order.

Also, watching YouTube for how to remove tires using your kickstand leads to bent kickstands. Nice.

I was able to inflate the rear tire with the 12V pump using a tie-down to ratchet the tired along the circumference and get the seal... however the front tire, no such luck. After several hours last night with the kids wondering WTF is dad doing... I had to give up on the front tire. I did find a gas station today with a proper air tank and the tire inflated and popped into the seal in like 3 seconds. Nice.

I suppose if I want to have confidence that I can fix a flat on the trail using tubeless tires that I need to get a tube as I have no confidence that I can get a sealed bead using the air output of a 12V pump.

In anycase... New Tires! :)

Now to fix the bent center and side stand. Need a bigger hammer...

Smiles
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #19341
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Tires in place... :)

No lost fingers. Thankfully.

I had to make my own tire removing tools from stock steel from Lowes... and while they did work, they bent way way too easy. New proper tire tools on order.

Also, watching YouTube for how to remove tires using your kickstand leads to bent kickstands. Nice.

I was able to inflate the rear tire with the 12V pump using a tie-down to ratchet the tired along the circumference and get the seal... however the front tire, no such luck. After several hours last night with the kids wondering WTF is dad doing... I had to give up on the front tire. I did find a gas station today with a proper air tank and the tire inflated and popped into the seal in like 3 seconds. Nice.

I suppose if I want to have confidence that I can fix a flat on the trail using tubeless tires that I need to get a tube as I have no confidence that I can get a sealed bead using the air output of a 12V pump.

In anycase... New Tires! :)

Now to fix the bent center and side stand. Need a bigger hammer...

Smiles
Weird, I've never had that much trouble. I have a set of motion pro tire irons. For breaking beads in the garage I have a big C clamp. Never been worried about that on the road. I coat the bead with armor all and have seated tire beads on my DL650 with a hand powered bicycle pump. Never had to do the ratcheting step trick but that may be related to the stiffness of the tire. I have needed higher pressures on some tires to seat the beads but not since starting to lube the bead.

For a bike with cast rims and tubeless tires I'm not sure why I would be pulling the tire instead of just using a plug unless there was a huge gash. If there was a huge gash, I'd be looking for a truck unless for some reason I had a whole new tire with me.

Oh and changing tires gets easier with practice. I do it just often enough to remember how but to forget how much I cuss when doing so.

Oh, and merry Christmas everyone. Looking forward to some Q in a week.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #19342
MotoMujer
Adventurette

I've endeavored to change tubed tires, but I have yet to be able to do the whole thing soup to nuts myself... when I apply the BFH technique a whole lot of not much happens (even when the guys try to help by spinning me up -- which really is counterproductive because I end up laughing); I'm better with the tire irons. Jeremy, is there a link on using a C clamp? Up to now this hasn't been much of an issue for me as the FFs at CBPH&G have been willing to lend an assist on scheduled tire changes, and I figure unscheduled ones could be handled with a cell phone and credit card if I'm not on a ride with 20 some people together carrying the equivalent of a well-appointed garage. But I have it in my head to ride to central Mexico at some point and the prospect of getting a flat that I can't repair in the middle of BFE Mexico doesn't excite me. Probably not going to happen in 2013 as other fun is vying for time on the calendar. Nonetheless, at some point I'm going to need to 1) learn a handful of tricks that help me get the job done, or 2) go tubeless and rely on the plug/wait for truck approach.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #19343
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Jeremy, is there a link on using a C clamp?
I guess I should clarify. I don't use the clamp on tires I plan on using again. Just get big enough clamp and tighten. As the sidewalls pull together one of the Beads will pop loose. If I was planning on keeping the tire I'd put a thin piece of wood between the clamp and the tire to keep from over stressing the sidewall. Without that, you get a little circle indentation on the sidewall from the clamp. I have a big 8 inch C clamp that is what I use. It just fits around the rear tire of the strom. First used them when I changed my first set of tires on a ninja 250. I didn't always know better so I would just try whatever I thought works. I think the clamp cost about $15 at Lowes. Probably find a cheaper one at Harbor Freight.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #19344
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I guess I should clarify. I don't use the clamp on tires I plan on using again. Just get big enough clamp and tighten. As the sidewalls pull together one of the Beads will pop loose. If I was planning on keeping the tire I'd put a thin piece of wood between the clamp and the tire to keep from over stressing the sidewall. Without that, you get a little circle indentation on the sidewall from the clamp. I have a big 8 inch C clamp that is what I use. It just fits around the rear tire of the strom. First used them when I changed my first set of tires on a ninja 250. I didn't always know better so I would just try whatever I thought works. I think the clamp cost about $15 at Lowes. Probably find a cheaper one at Harbor Freight.
Ah, got it. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #19345
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,726
This one works but anyone look at the new Motion Pro tire Bead Pro (irons/bead breaker)? The first one fits in my tool tube. The Bead Pro would take up less room and fit under the seat of the Wee.

http://www.aerostich.com/bead-breaker.html

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FUjZQgod8gcA4A

Get Boon Booni to show you how to use this method. I was nto able to make it work reliably.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458452

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #19346
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Reminds me I need to order tire iron/axle nut wrenches for my WR. That would allow me 3 irons to do that method of Booni's.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #19347
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
This one works but anyone look at the new Motion Pro tire Bead Pro (irons/bead breaker)? The first one fits in my tool tube. The Bead Pro would take up less room and fit under the seat of the Wee.

http://www.aerostich.com/bead-breaker.html
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FUjZQgod8gcA4A
Get Boon Booni to show you how to use this method. I was nto able to make it work reliably.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458452
Taking notes - thank you!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #19348
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Looks like a great tool.

What I'll probably be packing on my next trip. I'm going to order this before I need a new rear tire. I've got TKC 80's with about 2500 miles on them so it will probably be in about 500 more.
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #19349
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,705
Happy Christmas all.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #19350
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Taking notes - thank you!
go see Guy and have him demo his bead popper. he carries one, as i do also. very easy to use, tubeless or tube type. small and light for travel, but i routinely use it in the shop too. very easy and fast.

you're not going to carry a big C clamp in your panniers, but you can carry a bead popper as part of your tire service kit.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote