ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #19651
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
One more point... and this is the key to my intent.

I know that the proper way to purchase a motorcycle is to make sure it has a title.

I also know that some dirt bike titles get lost as you don't have to keep it tagged.. and that is okay as it's a pain. "Why keep the title, it's a pain and I don't want the tags... nor taxes, etc." So, it's legit at times to have a dirt bike without a title.

Most people will keep the title, but some don't. Those bikes are harder to sell and thus they reduce the price. They could get it titled but don't want to deal with the hassle.. just sell it...

So... there are some good deals to be had.. but you have to figure out if it is legit or not.
The VIN is a good tool to do this with.... so that is why I am exploring this idea of buying a bike without a title. I want to figure out how to do it with little/no risk.

If the seller is willing to provide the VIN... then there is hope that it isn't stolen.

It may turn out it is impossible, but my 'assumption' that some bikes with out titles are legit may be right.

So I am doing an experiment to see how this may actually work....

Just some background motive info on why I am perusing this.

btblueskies screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 03:38 PM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #19652
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
It might just be best to just avoid bikes without titles. There is enough issues with the DMV dealing with the ones with titles.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #19653
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Hey ... Any of you FFs play poker? I'm thinking of mixing up my usual gang with some biker scum for a game this month. Didn't know if anyone would be interested.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #19654
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Looking like 67 degrees on Saturday. Who else is going riding?
So far I got nothing on my schedule. I assume your talkin straight-up dirt.

BTW... anyone from the Richmond area planning on attending the Central Rally this year. Looks wicked! I'm from MN and may combine a family visit with actual pleasure!
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #19655
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
So far I got nothing on my schedule. I assume your talkin straight-up dirt.

BTW... anyone from the Richmond area planning on attending the Central Rally this year. Looks wicked! I'm from MN and may combine a family visit with actual pleasure!
Mostly dirt. But since I've only ridden my bike 2 times so far I may go out exploring for more trails. I want to check out the land over off Woolridge, and there are a lot of power and gas lines I have found that I want to explore. Or if there are some trails somewhere else that I someone knows about I'm happy to tag along. I'd also do the training grounds again possibly.

PS I also still need help lowering my WR a little bit. If any of you Richmond guys know how to lower the back and set up the suspension while also lowering the front if needed to maintain balance I would love the help. I have read instructions, but I would rather have someone who knows what they're doing help. I will be happy to bring the bike to you along with a 6 pack for your troubles.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #19656
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
@Burton, bring it by one evening and we'll see if we can get the lock nut on the bottom of the shock loose. I want to drop my forks about 15mm on the front myself. Shouldn't be too bad.

I bought a pin lock shield and like heated gear, it is one of those things I wish I'd bought sooner. My face was actually warm with all the vents and everything closed. I also had a pro line windjammer on the helmet which almost closes up the neck opening. Shield didn't fog but after a while the space inside my helmet was turning into a steam bath. This was mostly while barely tooling around Byrd park. Back on the highway there is still enough airflow to pull the excess moisture out.

Bottom line, I could see.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #19657
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Looking like 67 degrees on Saturday. Who else is going riding?
And 73 on Sunday?! we have no choice but to ride motorcycles.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #19658
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,541
Did it turn up on this website? I really need to know, as I kind of rely on it:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Also, di you advise the owner?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
That KTM on Craigslist we chatted about last week turn's up stolen.

I searched the VIN on several sites and even called the Utah and Virginia DMV and they said it was not showing as stolen, no liens, and no notes etc.

I purchased 2 reports online, one from CycleVIN (25$) (national search) and one from the Virginia DMV (Virginia Prospective Purchaser Inquiry )(12 $) and they showed it as not stolen.

I filled out an abandon property report to start the procedure of getting a title and apparently the police call me today asking for the motorcycle saying it is stolen. (25$)

Fortunately I hadn't bought it.. it had stolen written all over it with the ripped out wiring harness.

However I intended to buy it as every thing said it wasn't stolen.

Now the police say I committed fraud by filling out that report and not actually having possession of the motorcycle. They are not concerned about it but advised me not to do that in the future.

-------
Now the question is, how do you find out if a cycle is stolen (reliably) if you find one worth buying that does not have a Title. It is pretty easy to get the title on an abandoned vehicle by following the process..

At times I see some nice bikes for sale with out the title. Many of those are legit, some are not.

Had I actually purchased this cycle, and brought it home, I'd be out my money and the cycle. That would suck.

If the guy selling was willing to provide a VIN, then there is some sense of legitimacy. Getting the VIN and checking the public records should be a good tool to find out if the bike is stolen or legit or has a lien on it or other such information.

I guess what I am actually asking is.. is there any way to safely buy a motorcycle without a title and KNOW before hand using the VIN if there are issues?

pondering.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #19659
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
@Burton, bring it by one evening and we'll see if we can get the lock nut on the bottom of the shock loose. I want to drop my forks about 15mm on the front myself. Shouldn't be too bad.

I bought a pin lock shield and like heated gear, it is one of those things I wish I'd bought sooner. My face was actually warm with all the vents and everything closed. I also had a pro line windjammer on the helmet which almost closes up the neck opening. Shield didn't fog but after a while the space inside my helmet was turning into a steam bath. This was mostly while barely tooling around Byrd park. Back on the highway there is still enough airflow to pull the excess moisture out.

Bottom line, I could see.
That sounds good. Maybe Tomorrow evening possibly? I get off work at 6. I'm off on Fridays, but it looks like it may be raining.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #19660
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Did it turn up on this website? I really need to know, as I kind of rely on it:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Also, di you advise the owner?

Thanks

Yes I checked that site. Actually that was one of the first sites I checked and checked several times on that site out of paranoia that I typed the VIN wrong. It did NOT show as stolen. Makes me worry about the validity of all these sites I checked. I need to find out how the cop new it was stolen and all these sites/DMV's did not.

In addition I used the two sites it recommended also. CycleVIN and the NMVTIS check. All showed no issues.

By owner, do you mean the guy who has the bike now, or the title holder?

I spoke with the guy who has the bike now when I went to see it. I couldn't get a hold of the title owner as Utah wouldn't give me that information as it is considered private. I was told not to speak to the the guy who has the bike now.

I chat with the officer here at 11:30.. should have more info after that.

btblueskies screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 08:25 AM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #19661
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Hey ... Any of you FFs play poker? I'm thinking of mixing up my usual gang with some biker scum for a game this month. Didn't know if anyone would be interested.
hold-em?

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #19662
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
hold-em?
Is there another type of poker? LOL! Yep, Texas Hold-Em.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #19663
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
Does anybody know this guy "Jon" who is selling a (very nice) V-Strom on Craigslist? I want to pick his brain regarding his recent trip to Labrador...I sent him an e-mail via CL.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3524672223.html
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #19664
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Does anybody know this guy "Jon" who is selling a (very nice) V-Strom on Craigslist? I want to pick his brain regarding his recent trip to Labrador...I sent him an e-mail via CL.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3524672223.html
Could it be the former Richmond Tagger J2Jonner
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #19665
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Could it be the former Richmond Tagger J2Jonner