ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #19726
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Ok
Mickey, I'm out for Saturday.

My wife "politely" reminded me last night about some stuff she wants me to do on her car...... namely cleaning off the remnants of a plastic bag that somehow wrapped itself around the exhaust pipe when it was hot. Creates a nasty "melted plastic" smell in the car every time she drives it. I get reminded about it almost daily.

Regardless, I'm out.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #19727
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post

I found the road numbers I was interested in and just got off the phone with the Glenwood/Pedlar Ranger District's office. The road you wanted to go up was 1167 from Map 28. When you plan a trip out there again, after winter, you should check out 1881 on Map 30. You can spot the rd # centered left to right about 1/4 way down from the top. If you like jumping waterbars it's a blast. It is the one with the tunnel under the Parkway if you have been through there or have heard mention of it. Ride em' while you can. They have very little money to maintain roads so when they become heavily damaged they close them. They are also closing them because folks do not stay on the roads.
I have been going to the Lynchburg Reservoir/Pedlar river for many years now fishing, hiking, camping. It is about my favorite place in the state. I have explored almost all of the roads south of 60 so many times now I know them by heart. I just started this year exploring the roads north of 60, around Mt. Pleasant. I almost have them memorized also.

There are two tunnels under the parkway. One is at the end of 311 where it intersects on the parkway. The other is at the end of 605 where it intersects the parkway. Both of these roads are on page 29.

And I know what you mean about jumping the water bars in the area.

I head out there about once every 2-3 weeks all year long for a day ride or a camp over/fish etc. The pedlar between 60 and the Lynchberg Reservoir is great trout fishing.. beautiful place :) It's my happy place.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #19728
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 975
It's nice being able to take gravel down to Buena Vista for lunch via that other "boring" tunnel. You should go into Shoe Creek and do the first creek crossing and maybe go a little further while you are over there North of 60 Saturday.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #19729
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Whoo Hoo

Jeff's got a new toy. Picked up a nice 2008 XR650L in NJ this week. It is so clean it could have just come off the showroom floor. Clarke 4.7 gal tank, lowering link, and rear rack. Two sets of tires, Service manual. De-smogged already, but I still need to do the carb work as it is really running lean.

As soon as I get it plated, I'll be visiting the training ground everyone talks about.

The prep for the TAT ride can now officially start. Joe has had his bike for several weeks now, but still hasn't completed the MSF course.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #19730
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
It's nice being able to take gravel down to Buena Vista for lunch via that other "boring" tunnel. You should go into Shoe Creek and do the first creek crossing and maybe go a little further while you are over there North of 60 Saturday.
Awesome... a new trail to hit. I know the intersection where the trail starts and had it on my list to take that turn eventually... Looks like eventually is Saturday!

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #19731
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Where do you live?
I live in the west end near Regency mall. I've changed my mind about bikes... I'll be on a black F800GS.
Dr WhipIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #19732
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Getting the urge.....

...... for another long burn, and one just came to light in an email I received a few minutes ago.

Some of my Southeast Area COG brethren have a Keys ride planned down in FL for mid February. Last time I headed that way was for a dinner in Port Orange during a COG get-together that coincided with the races at Daytona during Bike Week. I rode down, met with the herd, had dinner, and headed right back home. A long “day” for sure. As one of my good friends there that evening put it, “Yup, I remember that night. You sat next to me at the dinner table, and I had to pull your ugly face out of the soup bowl. You weren't worth a shit at that point of time.”

My primary mission for that trip was to meet with Eddie James of the AMA (since deceased) and other AMA dignitaries that were present. We (COG) were trying to get back in the good graces of the AMA, and as the newly elected Executive Director of the Group at the time, I was there kissin' a$$. It worked.

Even though it will be a straight through shot, this one will be a little more “relaxed.”

Almost 1000 miles one way, I need to get the Connie in the garage and go over things to make sure she’s up for that kind of trip since it has only been used for “local” stuff here of late. Last time down that way I had an overheating issue caused by a deteriorated o-ring that wasn’t allowing coolant from the overflow reservoir to get back to the radiator during the cool down process. That didn’t show up until I got in the hot temperatures one sees down that way.

Tires are good for this trip should I go, but need to check out the rest of the bike…… just to make sure everything is a “go” and fix what isn’t.

There’s a couple more on the horizon later in the year: The Very Boring Rally (VBR III) in Duluth, MN, August 23-25 (a day ride from here – did it before), and the COG National in Idaho Falls August 26-30…. another (long) day ride from Duluth. Me thinks Connie won’t be sitting much this year.

Okay. Back to the dirt bike chatter................

Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #19733
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,784
so I'm out tagging in Amelia County and ride up on a road block near the Amelia- Chesterfield county line on Genito RD

damn, I have dead tags I noticed them Sunday. Dead since September I did get on line to get a temp registration and had it with me. They were checking DL's wtf? He did glance down at the inspection sticker. Never looked at the tag

neither me of wifey remembers getting a notice from DMV wtf?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #19734
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
That is indeed a great resource. I printed it out a couple months ago and have been systematically looking for fun roads to ride. My goal is to have a master copy with highlights of all the fun roads. Lots of riding to do still and I like it that way.

Thanks so much for checking out the status of the gate. It is a nice ride back to that gate so no worries if it is closed. It is also pretty much on the way to the general area.

Who may be in for saturday? I plan to leave about 8 AM ish from Midlothian. We could meet at Cafe Caturra on the Midlo Turnpike at 7:55AM and grab a coffee and bite then head out.. ..

it's at:

13830 Village Place Drive
Midlothian, VA 23114

Many times I like to leave with first light, and that is oKay with me also...

I have a green light to go on saturday so I am making a day of it :)
I think I may join you. I may not be able to follow you everywhere you will want to go as my tires are not going to be cooperative, but we can split up with or without plans to meet back up. I will have to see if my elbow is going to get back to normal from chainsawing too much with my out of shape limbs this past weekend. No pun intended but I'll take it anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #19735
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
so I'm out tagging in Amelia County and ride up on a road block near the Amelia- Chesterfield county line on Genito RD

damn, I have dead tags I noticed them Sunday. Dead since September I did get on line to get a temp registration and had it with me. They were checking DL's wtf? He did glance down at the inspection sticker. Never looked at the tag

neither me of wifey remembers getting a notice from DMV wtf?
DL - what is that?

Also, I have never received any notice from the DMV about any of my stuff expiring. I think the onus is on you to be aware of tag, inspection sticker, and all of that regarding impending expiration.

In that regard, I missed an inspection sticker on my wife's car a few years ago, and she got pulled. Never had any kids after that.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #19736
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Hey who was riding out west towards Orange/c'ville on an F800 with a RevIt jacket about 7:30 am today? Who ever it was I gave the ADV wave to.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #19737
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 208
DMV will email you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
DL - what is that?

Also, I have never received any notice from the DMV about any of my stuff expiring. I think the onus is on you to be aware of tag, inspection sticker, and all of that regarding impending expiration.

In that regard, I missed an inspection sticker on my wife's car a few years ago, and she got pulled. Never had any kids after that.

I think the DMV will email if you register on their site. I might be mixing up my states. I have lived too many places I guess. They probably gave up on the cost of mailing all of those notices.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #19738
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
DL - what is that?...
Drivers License.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #19739
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I think the DMV will email if you register on their site. I might be mixing up my states. I have lived too many places I guess. They probably gave up on the cost of mailing all of those notices.

They will email you of you renew online. You just have to remember your PIN. Save a few bucks too. Just don't do it the weekend before Xmas and expect to get them before the end of the year.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #19740
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
They will email you of you renew online. You just have to remember your PIN. Save a few bucks too. Just don't do it the weekend before Xmas and expect to get them before the end of the year.
I have done all my renewals online.... (multiple) vehicle registration, driver's license (two in this family), etc. ever since they had that option available, and have NEVER received an email that something was about to expire.