ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #19831
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Annnnnnnddd, my Concours is for sale:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....45&postcount=1
It's not broke in yet. You need to add another 100K miles on it.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #19832
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Just finished watching the Phoenix Supercross race, but I gotta ask: What is it with these guys being hell-bent on getting their goggles around their neck after a race? Is the manuf. their primary sponsor, or what?

Have noticed this many times, but it seems to be more prevalent here in the last year or so.

????

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #19833
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556

Just came from a bike crash scene just now < mile from the house. Young guy and a girl on a yellow gsxr right in front of me in my car. Coming through a couple sharp curves where road crosses some train tracks (Curtis street). It's a dicey spot even with hot dry pavement..

Lost it in a right hander. They tumble, bike slid 15-20 feet. I jumped out and ran over they had already limped to the side so I picked up the bike and pushed it to the shoulder. They didn't seem very hurt, didn't want help. Kid seemed embarassed and said he was two blocks from home. Bike seemed rideable, bent levers and footpegs, broken and cracked up fairings so I left.

He was whispering something to the girl but she wasn't saying much.. Maybe she was waiting for me to leave to have her say.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #19834
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:

Asking for the big money aren't you?

Someone is going to get a decent deal on a nice Connie as long as they ignore the manufacture date.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #19835
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Just came from a bike crash scene just now < mile from the house. Young guy and a girl on a yellow gsxr right in front of me in my car. Coming through a couple sharp curves where road crosses some train tracks (Curtis street). It's a dicey spot even with hot dry pavement..

Lost it in a right hander. They tumble, bike slid 15-20 feet. I jumped out and ran over they had already limped to the side so I picked up the bike and pushed it to the shoulder. They didn't seem very hurt, didn't want help. Kid seemed embarassed and said he was two blocks from home. Bike seemed rideable, bent levers and footpegs, broken and cracked up fairings so I left.

He was whispering something to the girl but she wasn't saying much.. Maybe she was waiting for me to leave to have her say.
Sounds like she was in shock. I bet she won't remember much more than a couple of sounds and some black and white images of things moments before it happened. She will lay into him when she comes to. He sort of got lucky in that it seems neither were injured severely and he probably learned a couple of things. Hopefully she learned where it is unsafe to sit. Sort of off the subject, but how in the heck is it not illegal to have higher vehicle insurance rates on all young males, regardless of record, experience, training, etc? I see where this moment is a bad time to bring it up, but all young men do not all belong to the group. If there were a similar statistic for race, and maybe there is, it would never fly. You should have thanked him for costing you thousands of extra dollars in premiums. That would have put him into shock. Say what???
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #19836
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Dirtmonkey and Btblueskies, sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #19837
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Glad they are oKay.... some accidents I have seen I wish I could wipe from my memory... and the one's where everyone is oKay I simply leave also.....

Good on you to stop and make sure they were oKay... many people would just drive on by.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #19838
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,898
This is correct, it runs from Long Mountain Wayside to Wiggins SPring Road, right before the end of state maintenance and start of the Forest Road to Mt Pleasant trailhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I think it connected or crossed Wiggins springs.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #19839
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,898
The forest service road is washed out in two locations, I've hiked the length up to the other end while trout fishing. it makes it way to the Mount Pleasant Trailhead parking area off Wiggins Spring (even though it's labeled Wiggins, I think it's a fire road at that point). The road is actually in pretty good shape overall.

Nice river crossing video! They just closed the pedestrian bridges earlier this year, I need to call VDOT to see what the deal is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Maybe yall are talking about N Fork .. State Route 635?
The section from 60 North peters out after two water crossings and the FS closed it at that location. My Delorme Map has it connecting all the way up to Wiggings.. but it was close a while ago. I was talking to a hunter there on thanksgiving day and he said it was washed out quite bad in places.

Or maybe it comes out at Long Mountain Wayside?

Link to video of water crossing at that location.
http://youtu.be/zGd4JemCKH4

MGB screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:47 AM
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #19840
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Saurday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Excited by the advertised 70+ degree temps in January, Btblueskies and I........................... is perhaps the best one I have and summarizes, if not exaggerates, the ride.

You guys "missed out" though you are welcome to come push us up the hills next time.
I know that I have hit that area before and if it had been as wet as that, it would be hell no matter what tires you had, especially the greasy leaves! I had Scorpions on my F800GS once in that area and then again with TKC80s and there is no comparison.
Burtonrider, his cousin and I had a similar Saturday ride without the foggy ride to the mountains, remoteness or the brewery (love the Devils Backbone Vienna Lager). We tried that trail off the end of Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, and it was a muddy, rutted, slippery, briar snarled challenge complete with log and small creek crossings. Wound up reentering 288 sans official entrance and tried to find some trails near Woolridge. The only trails we saw were littered with downed trees so we went to some known trails down by Chesterfield airport that were muddy, rutted, slippery, (but not briar snarled) challenges complete with log and small creek crossings. After the ankle sprain, a bent shifter lever, and bent rear brake lever, we called it a day.

With the exception of the briars it was a blast. My 800 now is familiar with "second position" (aka on its side) and I can definitely say the AltRider crash bars, rear footpegs and Barkbusters do their job, not a single mark on the bike! I can also add that Sidi Discovery boots are waterproof!

Looking forward to more of the same!
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #19841
Rhodesia Rebel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Yeah, one must be careful when twisting the throttle in anger, even if it is to save your hide from inattentive cagers.
I didn't have time to be angry really...I only had one window of opportunity and it was closing fast....I am use to preoccupied cagers, my incident was more of an outright disregard for who was already occupying my space. I'll give McGrath a call and see where it goes.

JC
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #19842
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Dirtmonkey and Btblueskies, sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing!
Quite welcome. I was trying to explain how that trip took 15 hours while keeping it as short and entertaining as possible. Did you get some miles in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I know that I have hit that area before and if it had been as wet as that, it would be hell no matter what tires you had, especially the greasy leaves! I had Scorpions on my F800GS once in that area and then again with TKC80s and there is no comparison.
Burtonrider, his cousin and I had a similar Saturday ride without the foggy ride to the mountains, remoteness or the brewery (love the Devils Backbone Vienna Lager). .....We tried that trail off the end of Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, and it was a muddy, rutted, slippery, briar snarled challenge complete with log and small creek crossings.

With the exception of the briars it was a blast. My 800 now is familiar with "second position" (aka on its side) .....
That's quite a trail bike you've got. I can't imagine taking an 800 into something like that. I don't even aim for that stuff with my DR650 anymore. I never dropped the bike yesterday, but I had some close calls and made up some yoga moves. Something like where my left foot was on the ground in a low side rut and my right foot was up on the seat actually helping to balance the bike and it seemed like it was over my head, some how, and I don't remember if the bike was stalled or if I still had the front brake. This exact thing actually happened twice within a few minutes. I was thinking of going with the K60 scouts as I don't plan on beating up this bike too bad. Now I have my eyes on the TKC80's because some spots are hard to get out of and I like finding those spots. Once we started down that one road there was no turning back until you reached an "out". The road had sunk into the forest floor and the banks were steep, slick and trapping us in. I thought for sure we would be together pushing each of our bikes out. Those freaking tires spinning at 15-25 mph somehow actually clawed their way up the hill, along with my feet ferociously paddling, on top of snow which was on top of wet leaves which was on top of wet clay. Well, there was not snow on every bit of it, but there was a surprising amount hiding in the shadows of the ruts. At one point we were side by side, each in our own snowy rut, rocking back and forth with our wheels spinning. Each of us trying to gain the momentum to hop one end or the other over a large rock or root. Must have looked like a drag race to no where.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #19843
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
Thumb

Quote:

saw your post, sent you a p/m, please call me.......

shut yer mouth Dad....you should have jumped on this.

love y'all

p.s.
if anyone can find my old Conni......I want that one also...
(damn kid sold it....argggggggggghhhhh0
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #19844
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Hey! I PMed him first! Lol

Mobile Tagging HQ

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #19845
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Okay Mother Nature is playing a dirty joke on us, so I'm fighting back. I will not get the chance to ride for the next 2 weeks so I'm going today.

I'm leaving Williamsburg at 9am then thru Richmond at 10 to head to the mountains. Anyone else that can make this trip call PM me. I will stop west of town at the sheetz in Powhatan to fuel before hitting it. If you want to get dirty & have some good ideas for rides hit me up ASAP.

I will check my PMs at 9, 9:30 & 10. Make sure you have your cell included in the PM. Those who have my number call. I can talk while I ride but can't text. Duh!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote