ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #19936
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Jeff,
Don't think they will total it. They are only up to $7100 in damage. This the adjusters estimate. I'm taking it to Morton's in the morning, I bet they will run that number up.

As for the gear, pants will be ordered tomorrow. As for the helmet, she was going to do a new for me, but it is untouched. I replace my helmets if they drop, so an accident would be a definite, but it did not hit anything.
Wow! Over 7 grand. Did you ever see what caught it and made it flip? You essentially scraped my Dr650 and my DR350 off of the bike. My only bike accident on pavement event involved a deer and 56 a couple of years ago. Very different though. I was on the other side of the mountain on the DR650 heading down hill in the rain on full DOT knobbies. I got behind a very slow car (20-25 mph tops!) and was toying with the idea of slipping around it though there are no open straight spots. So I was following too close when they slammed on the brakes as they approached a dead deer on the shoulder which was maybe six inches onto the narrow road as another car was coming from the opposite direction. Wet pavement downhill knobbies skid and then I dropped the bike as it got perpendicular to the road since I could not steer out of it and a car was coming. I probably should have tried to keep it. It was so slow I only had to take a step or two to stay on my feet. I heard the awful sound and the bike maybe slid a foot. The brake pedal was curled up in a curlycue in a way the dirt had never managed to do. I rode to the next drive and while trying to straighten it out with the contents of the factory tool kit I stabbed myself pretty bad in a finger with a slotted screwdriver. My only injury. I taped it tightly with electrical tape and continued on to Big Levels and rode up it and back home. I did get stuck under the exhaust side of the bike that day for a couple of minutes after a sand wash out. Glad I had invested in MX boots. It was a good day. First time to big levels. Deer and 56... And sorry for the long posts guys. Sometimes I don't know where to stop. See.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 05:41 AM Reason: insert dead in front of deer
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #19937
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
And sorry for the long posts guys. Sometimes I don't know where to stop. See.
I like reading your pros... :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #19938
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Question for the masses. It turns out that my yearly two wheeled excursion this year can be extended. Up until a few minutes ago, I only had a few days. Now I've got nine. (Five off and two bracketing weekends!). So now I'm re-thinking the whole destination. (I was going to run to Nashville for music/booze and ride some twisty goodness in-between). Staring at the map, I'm not coming up with anything quite yet. So, anyone got any suggestions?

The guidelines:
  1. This isn't a dual-sport adventure. Nor is it a superslab-fest. Think back roads.
  2. I can leave from Richmond, or perhaps take the auto-train down to Florida and start from that corner of the map.
  3. One option is to head up to the Black Hills and tool around there for a while. Not sure what's in-between worth seeing.
  4. Another option is Monument Valley and the like. Again, I'd have to run through the middle of nowhere to get there.
  5. I'm not thinking rallies or anything like that. Scenic. Places that don't remind me of home. Twisties. You get the picture.
So .. anyone got a great nine day ride they want to share? :-)
on back roads, you can have fun going west through WV, KY and N AR (or S MO) and run up the AR river to CO and Pikes Peak . I did slab it back home due to time constraints.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #19939
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Todd, glad to hear you're OK. Man that was a bummer, but glad to hear your ATGATT worked as it should. Good lesson for those heading out with flip flops, tank tops and cut off shorts. Hope to see you this Friday at the Implant Continuum.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #19940
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
... I may just stick with the DRZ400 for a while...
Good one!

Still can't believe you're selling the BMW, what will become of Eddy's GS Challenge now?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #19941
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I put 100 miles on it htis weekend. In the rain. It's a very capable bike!..
It really is, surprisingly so and still a half decent dirt bike.

I broke down and bought a 4.9gal IMS for mine the other day. That should let me crack 200mi/tank. No more weakest link.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #19942
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Eddy,

I'd offer to sell you my GSA but I don't think you couldn't touch the ground. I'm thinking of going in a different direction (back to a Sport Tourer) since purchasing a used KLR for the woods.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #19943
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
It really is, surprisingly so and still a half decent dirt bike.

I broke down and bought a 4.9gal IMS for mine the other day. That should let me crack 200mi/tank. No more weakest link.
That tank is a very good investment. Lighter tank weight and much more comfortable between the knees too.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #19944
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Eddy,

I'd offer to sell you my GSA but I don't think you couldn't touch the ground. I'm thinking of going in a different direction (back to a Sport Tourer) since purchasing a used KLR for the woods.
Don't do it!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #19945
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
So I just signed a contract on a house. I can still lose it if I can't sell mine in time, but if I luck out and pick it up I will finally have a nice garage to work on the car and bike in. So excited.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #19946
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
That tank is a very good investment. Lighter tank weight and much more comfortable between the knees too.
Don't care for the big tank look but the stocker is cramping my style.. at only 80-90 miles you start thinking about it, about 120 hit reserve and start REALLY thinking about it. An extra 75 miles of breathing room will be nice.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #19947
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
More GoPro advice?

Have started using the GoPro Hero 3. The pic quality is amazing, even in low light and fog.

Do any of you GoPro owners have a recommendation for video editing software? I only have Moviemaker on the laptop. Easy to use, and free, or at least fairly inexpensive would be great. What do you use?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 08:32 AM
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #19948
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Video Editing: Easy to use, and free, or at least fairly inexpensive would be great. What do you use?
jeff
Adobe Premier Elements is nice... there are other options.
I use Premier Pro, but it is sorta expensive. At times I find limitations in the Elements version, but not tooo often.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #19949
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
What do you use?
I've got Cyberlink PowerDirector. Works in a similar fashion to the free one you mentioned, but has more features and way more tracks. Still, it's a bit ... non-commercial. Meaning, it does have a bunch of things that are kinda kitschy. Like being able to have pink snowflakes swirl around the screen and all sorts of spinning transitions. But it also allows you to make some fairly impressive movies. Just ignore the kitsch. LOL! Not too hard to work with. Not overly expensive either.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...ion_en_US.html

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #19950
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Video editing software

Thanks guys. My problems go way beyond software too. I've discovered my 9 year old Dell laptop, that made it completely around the world in my saddlebags without a scratch, is totally unable to even recognize the 64 bit files generated by the new GoPro. Go figure. Now I have to buy a new dang computer too. ( My wife will not let me use her work laptop for video editing......)

Boy, you stand still for a couple of years and the computer/video/digital/internet/entire world just leaves you in the digital dust. I'm still wearing some MC boots I bought 20+ years ago, but my 5 year old $2000 computer is now a door stop. Sheeesh.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote