ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #19951
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Have started using the GoPro Hero 3. The pic quality is amazing, even in low light and fog.

Do any of you GoPro owners have a recommendation for video editing software? I only have Moviemaker on the laptop. Easy to use, and free, or at least fairly inexpensive would be great. What do you use?

jeff
I've used iMovie on my macbook. It was cheap but not the greatest. It takes forever but that could just be my 4 year old macbook being the weakest link. Not sure what flavor of OS you use.

I would love it if any one has a good suggestion for a open source video editor that can actually handle HD video as I have a couple decent Linux desktops that would be much better for editing if I had decent software for them.

Edit: Never mind on my Linux video editing question. A quick Google search tells me that options have improved since I last looked. Looks like I will be installing kdenlive and Openshot to see how good/bad they are.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 09:18 AM
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #19952
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So I just signed a contract on a house. I can still lose it if I can't sell mine in time, but if I luck out and pick it up I will finally have a nice garage to work on the car and bike in. So excited.

Fill that fridge with beer, add a stereo and TV and ya got yasef a whirl class man cave!
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #19953
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Fill that fridge with beer, add a stereo and TV and ya got yasef a whirl class man cave!
Oh, it's going to be an awesome man cave! That door you see through the garage door leads to this.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #19954
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So I just signed a contract on a house. I can still lose it if I can't sell mine in time, but if I luck out and pick it up I will finally have a nice garage to work on the car and bike in. So excited.
I wonder if you can somehow bankroll some tools into your mortgage as improvements to the garage?

Did you ever get additional bolts to go in the end of your exhaust?

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 12:59 PM Reason: removed quoted image
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #19955
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Tool needed

The above post reminds me that I need to replace the steering head bearings on my XT600.
The repair manual lists the part numbers for a ring nut wrench as YU-33975 or 90890-01403.
If anyone has one of these or something similar, or even a home made substitution please let me know. I don't want to start this job without having this tool in hand. The repair manual spells out the process for re-assembly using a torque wrench which will take out all the guess work.

Dr WhipIt screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 01:36 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #19956
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
The above post reminds me that I need to replace the steering head bearings on my XT600.
The repair manual lists the part numbers for a ring nut wrench as YU-33975 or 90890-01403.
If anyone has one of these or something similar, or even a home made substitution please let me know. I don't want to start this job without having this tool in hand. The repair manual spells out the process for re-assembly using a torque wrench which will take out all the guess work.
Looks to be a somewhat standard lock ring wrench...I use a Park lockring tool for bicycles...about $15...

no provision for a torque wrench though...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #19957
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
I have a spanner wrench (purchased from McMaster-Carr) I use on the Concours and the KLR. Neither have provisions for a torque wrench, so it is used strictly by feel.

Lemme know if interested.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #19958
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I wonder if you can somehow bankroll some tools into your mortgage as improvements to the garage?

Did you ever get additional bolts to go in the end of your exhaust?
Not yet. I haven't had any spare time really with trying to get my house on the market. Things have been crazy.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #19959
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I have a spanner wrench (purchased from McMaster-Carr) I use on the Concours and the KLR. Neither have provisions for a torque wrench, so it is used strictly by feel.

Lemme know if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Looks to be a somewhat standard lock ring wrench...I use a Park lockring tool for bicycles...about $15...

no provision for a torque wrench though...
Thank you both for the replies, but the torque wrench part is what I'm really after. Otherwise I'd probably just use some channel lock pliers since the ring nut ain't nun too purdy already. Since that post I've found an aftermarket wrench for $32 compared to Yamaha's $65. I'm not in a hurry so I may keep hunting/searching forums for the right thing.
Which gives me an idea:
Perhaps a local thread could be started on which we could post any special tools we have or make requests for special tools. I'll probably wind-up buying the tool, looking at it as cheaper than having someone do the work, and I would fell even better about its purchase knowing that at some point someone else could use it or purchase it from me. Only twice in my life have I felt that a tool purchase was not to my advantage; an airless paint sprayer, and a set of special wrenches for the removal of the fan clutch on a 96 e150. Other than that, I usually buy the tool and it makes my life easier so its worth the cost.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #19960
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
I'm not in a hurry so I may keep hunting/searching forums for the right thing...
don't know if this is the tool you're looking for or not, but i've found it very handy in the shop. it has a 3/8 drive and i've used it with a 3/8 torque wrench. a simple calculation to correct the drive centerline to the work centerline.

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #19961
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Well guys, for any of you who might like to know I did manage to snag that DRZ today, and it was certainly an adventure! It started off with a 30 minute walk/jog in the rain carrying my helmet and backpack full of shit. Ended up carrying my jacket too about half way through because I was sweating my ass off after speeding up the pace a few blocks.

Got to the bus station with 10 minutes to spare though and then started the ride south 3 hours to Raleigh, NC. It was actually pretty damn good for a greyhound bus ride. Met dude at the station, took it for a spin around the block with cash in the guy's hand and really liked what I saw. We did the paperwork and I drove off. It was pretty much riding perfect, idling great, all that good stuff. By the 3rd hour my ass was starting to get pretty sore, but surprisingly not really any more sore than the same amount of time on my beloved Ninja with no stops. The seat feels really narrow in comparison for sure though, and firmer. Despite being 6'1" I can still barely flatfoot the bike, but I don't consider it a drawback. It's nice being up so high. The suspension kicks my old bikes' ass for sure. I'm sure the bigger wheels help too.

I was really enjoying the ride... getting to know the bike. The knobbies feel really weird, but I was totally confident for normal driving. I really felt like my speedometer was reading low though. In fact I was sure of it, almost right away! I tried to drive the indicated speed limit according to my speedo, but I was getting passed so aggressively on I-95 that, combined with my perception of slower speed than my speedo was reading, I ended up speeding pretty badly after overtaking a work truck with a bunch of stuff in the back. I think my fatigue and anxiousness to get home probably contributed something to that, and I wasn't paying attention to the speedo like I should have been. Long story short, I got clocked going way the hell over the 70 limit and got pulled. Apparently my speedo was reading correctly. I think that the increased height of the bike made it really made it feel much slower to me, and the insane speeding traffic, I thought, confirmed this suspicion.

Now I was under the impression that a freshly signed and dated title was free passage to get the vehicle home under it's own power, a "grace period" as it was described to me. Well, that's apparently bullshit and you need to get a "travel permit" for a nominal fee that allows you to transport the vehicle legally. So I was screwed on those two fronts, and coincidentally a couple of others. I definitely could have gotten a handful of tickets. Or even been taken to jail, had my license suspended, my vehicle impounded, the works. Holy FUCK that would have been a terrible end to the day

By the eternal grace of the Tao, the trooper (pretty sure he was a state trooper) recognized the bike and in fact is an ADVrider member himself. He let me know how I was in the wrong, I realized what a complete moron I am, but all the while we were talking bikes and stuff. He let me go with some friendly advice, and if you're reading this my friend, I can't thank you enough for using your discretion the way you did. Cheers to you and I hope you pick up a bike soon. Maybe sell one of your other vehicles that isn't being driven like it should or something. I'd love to hit the dirt with ya sometime!

So I went home being sure to mind the speed limit much more carefully. Got the bike back into town and now it's unwilling to hold a proper idle. It's becoming more and more apparent that dual sports and dirt bikes are designed to be a lot easier to work on which makes me extremely happy. Getting the carb off on the DRZ looks about 30x easier than it was on my Ninja.

So I'm confident I can get her running back to normal. I can't say I'm surprised that there are some fueling issues either. After all, this bike's been driven an average of 150 miles every year. Hell, I put more miles than that on it just today! It's still sound enough to get me to work and back so all is well regardless.

And here's a picture to go with the relatively happy ending to the day.

It's good to be in your ranks, all. Again, thanks for the warm welcome at the training grounds and hopefully we can keep up a steadier pace next time now that I have some better hardware to work with.
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #19962
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
don't know if this is the tool you're looking for or not, but i've found it very handy in the shop. it has a 3/8 drive and i've used it with a 3/8 torque wrench. a simple calculation to correct the drive centerline to the work centerline.

That looks like a fancy adjustable version of what I need. Perhaps I could drive the XT to your place and see if it would work?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #19963
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Saturday Ride

I'm riding Saturday @ Forest Hill Ave. in Richmond if anyone's interested in going. Might have two friends of mine riding four wheelers (or quads as we called them up north) coming with me. If you want to ride hit me up with a private message.

- Kurt
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #19964
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Well guys, for any of you who might like to know I did manage to snag that DRZ today, and it was certainly an adventure!
Wow! I did a similar ride on a DRZ in nice weather. you are an ANIMAL!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #19965
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I hope you get it, we'll be neighbors. Then I can bring my bike over and work on it with you haha.
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote