ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #20101
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRichmond View Post
Just an idea but if you were open to delivering the bike to falls church, as he requested, then I would suggest you take a small good faith deposit by Paypal before you travel to NOVA and then have him Paypal the balance to his family member in falls church so they could give you cash on delivery... This would reduce your risk of a charge back or dispute...BD
Hmmm, you and others make a good point. Why hit my Paypal? His family can take the transfer, get the cash, and hand it to me. I'd deliver it up there for that. Good ideas!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #20102
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,092
Rick,
Sounds bogus...Have patience my friend. Your bike will sell locally or to a fly-n-ride ADV'er. Just remember that it's mid winter and 90% of the motorcycling population doesn't have bike buying on the brain right now...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #20103
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Rick,
Sounds bogus...Have patience my friend. Your bike will sell locally or to a fly-n-ride ADV'er. Just remember that it's mid winter and 90% of the motorcycling population doesn't have bike buying on the brain right now...
Yep, why chance it.. It's a great bike at a good price, somebody will come along with cash and happily take it away. The deposit plus delivery to NoVa for balance in cash would probably be ok though.

Not sure about the 90% of us not having bike buying on the brain.. This is the worst time for me. Can't ride much and just sit around looking at CL and flea market. Also I am crushing google maps and google earth daily.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #20104
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Actually, just talked (OK, emailed) with the guy some more. The deal will probably exclude Paypal. He sends check. Check clears while I hold bike and title. He flys out in a month or so and gets bike. No "Paypal disputes". No worries. I just get to keep the bike in the back of the garage for a month or two. We'll see. Not desperate .. it's been only two days since it was put up for sale. Just don't want to get screwed. Don't want to pass up on a sale either. Thanks all for the sounding board.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #20105
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
He sends check. Check clears while I hold bike and title.
If the check was from a locally available bank, then when you get the check you should take it to that bank and get the cash directly. Then you will not have any liability if it 'clears' your bank only to later get flagged as bogus.

Just an idea.

This seems sketchy somehow... not sure how though.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #20106
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Yep, why chance it.. It's a great bike at a good price, somebody will come along with cash and happily take it away. The deposit plus delivery to NoVa for balance in cash would probably be ok though.

Not sure about the 90% of us not having bike buying on the brain.. This is the worst time for me. Can't ride much and just sit around looking at CL and flea market. Also I am crushing google maps and google earth daily.
I agree about the paypal stuff. The email didn't quite set off my bullshit detector but there's really no good reason to do it that way. Hey Higworld, are you in a hurry to sell? You could probably get more money for it if you wait a little bit until spring rather than trying to get rid of it in the coldest month of the year.

Finding anything interesting on the map lately DD? I'd really like to find some long meandering dirt paths or gravel roads for this Monday or Tuesday. I'm waiting on hitting the training ground until my case savers arrive in the mail but it might be early next week.

Is anyone else free meet up behind the Martin's on Monday or Tuesday? It'd be nice to go out there with someone who knows their way around a bit better if I could.
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #20107
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Wow, someone with worse vision than me. I'm only at -8.5 in both eyes.
Not anymore. You can wish for cataracts. not really but one eye was getting bad. A new prescription every few months. 20 years ago I asked my eye doctor about that laser stuff. We would joke about cataracts. Watch what you wish for you just may get it.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #20108
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Good morning all! I'm posting from my phone using Tapatalk because the normal site seems broken. Maybe it's my work net-nannies causing the trouble.

Anyway, for the first time in ages my bike wouldn't start this morning. It was about 14-15f, so it's not a total surprise. I ride it daily so I've never worried about trickle charging. Maybe I should start. The battery is buried under the (full) tank. Think I could plug a charger into the coax connector for my heated gear? It's wired to the battery directly and there's a fuse in-line (not sure the amperage off hand.)

It sucks driving on a beautiful day like this. Grrrr

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #20109
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Good morning all! I'm posting from my phone using Tapatalk because the normal site seems broken. Maybe it's my work net-nannies causing the trouble.

Anyway, for the first time in ages my bike wouldn't start this morning. It was about 14-15f, so it's not a total surprise. I ride it daily so I've never worried about trickle charging. Maybe I should start. The battery is buried under the (full) tank. Think I could plug a charger into the coax connector for my heated gear? It's wired to the battery directly and there's a fuse in-line (not sure the amperage off hand.)

Yup, plug in a trickle charger in to the Gerbings connection, it will work, the fuse should be a 15 amp.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #20110
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
My DR had a heck of a time starting this am also, finally it did after several tries. 19F.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #20111
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
My DR had a heck of a time starting this am also, finally it did after several tries. 19F.
You rode in today?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #20112
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
...Finding anything interesting on the map lately DD?...
Yeah, lots.. too bad the days are so short and cold. I got the BRT gps tracks from Error Cooled and have been going over those.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #20113
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Yep.

Quote:
You rode in today?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #20114
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Lets do it when it warms up!

Quote:
Yeah, lots.. too bad the days are so short and cold. I got the BRT gps tracks from Error Cooled and have been going over those.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #20115
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post

What Kurt said, but just make sure the polarity is correct.