ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #20161
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
So I need to do something like that on the clutch switch of my KLR? I have two colored wires w/ stripes and a black wire if my memory is correct.
Hell, on my KLR i just eliminated the POS saftey circuit starter relay and let the starter button energize the starter solenoid directly. Ran it like that for thousands of miles and many years.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #20162
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Even though we had a WTF moment before it ever hit the garage, the old girl is now chilling out in a 25 degree garage. (Side stand switch --- amazing what a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing will do).

I know it's not the "Kawasaki Way", but I do need to polish her up. She's been away from a bath and a detail for awhile. And of course, the farkling needs to begin in earnest.

I took a short spin just now. It's quite a different ride from the GS. Or any other bike I've had, for that matter. Really dives left/right on slow speed turns. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not an easy bike to handle when creeping. :-/

Now ... to keep from going back out to the garage and tinkering ... :-)
I'd be remiss in my duties as the former COG Executive Director if I didn't encourage you to join the Concours Owners Group (COG).

Lotsa good stuff coming up in the immediate, and near future (local and national):

02/17/2013 - VA Breakfast Ride, meeting at the Inwood Restaurant in Gordonsville, VA
03/23/2013 thru 03/24/2013 - Annual Crab Cakes ride, North East, MD.

We will meet at Holly's Restaurant. Holly's is located east of the Bay Bridge on the service road on the north side of Rt. 50 at exit 43B, heading east (exit 43A if you’re heading west). Directions and a map are available at www.hollysrest.com we plan to meet for breakfast at 9:00 am and will depart the restaurant around 10 am and ride the eastern shore of Maryland and Delaware.

The ride will end at Elk Neck State Park in North East Maryland where we will camp for the night. Campsites allow 2 tents per site. Hookup with a COG friend and make reservations by calling 1-888-432-2267 or reservations.dnr.state.md.us and ask for camp site # 230 to # 240 area which is close to the bath house.

Reservation at WOODY’S CRAB HOUSE in North East MD for dinner at 6:30 pm for CRAB CAKES. Woody’s is located at 29 South Main Street if you cannot make the ride and want to join us for the evening please let me know so I can put your name on the list for dinner.

Sunday morning we have reservations at PIER 1 RESTAURANT for breakfast at 8.30 am. Which is located at 1 North Main Street, North East MD

FWIW - I started this ride about 16 years ago, and it's still going strong.

05/16-19/2013 - Northeast Area Spring Fling Rally, Bedford, PA. Further info upso request; lemme know.

There are lots of local COG rides going on throughout the year (ask and I shall tell), but the "Mother" of our events is the COG National:

08/26-30/2013 COG National Rally, Idaho Falls, ID (I'm going).

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #20163
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Hell, on my KLR i just eliminated the POS saftey circuit starter relay and let the starter button energize the starter solenoid directly. Ran it like that for thousands of miles and many years.
Yup, that's the shot gun approach..... but I didn't have the time or energy to get into that.

Personally, I just got rid of the side stand switch and let it go at that. The rest of the safety-crat stuff has never given me any problems, so left them alone.

FWIW - I haven't seen him since I left the Company, but I think Scott is still riding your ex....... bike that is.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #20164
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Flanders, Mini Apes, had them powder coated black and filled them with liquid bar snake, I think they were 9" tall.
Oh, so you had the conversion kit to use standard type bars? Was looking at those last night.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #20165
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Oh, so you had the conversion kit to use standard type bars? Was looking at those last night.
Yup, I took the ZG bars off, bolted on the conversion and bolted on the bars, then you need to get longer brake and clutch hydro lines and longer choke and throttle cables and lengthen the electric lines from the switches. Guy or MOB's mentioned Murph's Kits, he is on the COG forum, he can supply the longer hydro lines as he makes them for you, FWIW run the new clutch line from the handle bars right to where it goes into the motor, don't try to run it to the steel line under the tank because it has a reverse flair fitting and good luck finding one of those. The throttle and choke cables were easy to source out through Motion Pro, I just told them how long they needed to be. If your good with a soldering iron and heat shrink the electrics are easy, otherwise GBY Garage can hook you up I'm sure. Shameless plug for the old retired fellow
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #20166
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

From where I was raised (Western PA), historically, fine flakes were NOT a good sign. Think we're gonna get hammered before all this "stuff" moves on.

Wife is out at a school workshop, and that makes me a little nervous. While she was raised in the north (MD) and has an AWD vehicle, she really doesn't have all that much experience driving in this crap. Will be happy when she gets home.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #20167
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Any of you friendly Richmond types got a room for an inmate?
He was supposed to be heading south, and making it to Raleigh today.
But looks like he is held up right at the 95/85 split. As icy as it is outside, I'm thinking he should look to holing up there, and not trying it. (I went playing on the dirt bike, but I'm an idiot, and not on highways)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #20168
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
But looks like he is held up right at the 95/85 split. As icy as it is outside, I'm thinking he should look to holing up there, and not trying it. (I went playing on the dirt bike, but I'm an idiot, and not on highways)
PM sent
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #20169
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
PM sent
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #20170
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Closer than anyone else

We are about 2 mile from his location. Sent a PM to you. Have him call me. If necessary I ahve a trailer and can come get him. It is very nasty outside with about an inch of snow already. The roads are glaze ice here.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #20171
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Hopefully he got in touch with you.
Thanks
It's getting gross here to.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #20172
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hopefully he got in touch with you.
Thanks
It's getting gross here to.
I haven't heard anything. Perhaps Jeff has.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #20173
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
I'm crazy behind on this thread or anything ADV really thanks to juggling a couple house projects into my days (note: DO wear safety goggles when stripping wood with chemical strippers. Ask me how I learned this.). But I think I can safely jump in and ask: who was trailering a red F650GS south on 95 around 9am? That's just wrong.

On the subject of currency, Pete, I might be willing to help you dump your euros if you still have them next time I'm able to goof off long enough to join a ride. And if any of you FFs happen to have Mexican pesos or Polish zloty you'd like to exchange for local fiat, feel free to send me a note.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #20174
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Inmate is safe and sound at the Classic Bike Pool Hall

Just got in from picking up Tom. He is a young KLR rider from NYC, on his way south. Trailered him here because his street tires did NOT go well with the snow. Hopefully by morning the roads will be clear and he will be on his way south.

Note the minimalist packing. He is a true poverty rider on an $800 KLR he bought from a fellow inmate.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #20175
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Just got in from picking up Tom. He is a young KLR rider from NYC, on his way south. Trailered him here because his street tires did NOT go well with the snow. Hopefully by morning the roads will be clear and he will be on his way south.

Note the minimalist packing. He is a true poverty rider on an $800 KLR he bought from a fellow inmate.

jeff

NICELY DONE ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!!

BTW nice 800 KLR!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote