ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #20236
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
Good deal, I may just go from a 14 to 13 in the front. Still not sure.
That's what I'd try first. Cheaper sprocket, easy swap no chain worries and it may give you all the extra pull you need.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #20237
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
No, I know that. I just get a lot of inquiries on comparison stock for stock. I already know we compared them. I just want to film it so I can upload it for other people before you mod your sprockets. We could do an after video too.
I'm running 14/50 on the WR. I think it is 3.5 vs the 3.23 that came stock. I'm sure the CRF will benefit from a little gearing change too. It seems like the little 250s get geared for higher speed for emissions.

Edit: I had a typo, I'm running 14/50 not 14/40.
__________________
2009 Wee-Strom, 2008 WR250R

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 07:19 PM Reason: typo
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #20238
Downer
Downer
 
Downer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 180
You would be surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I would expect so if he was anywhere near K-town.
Some had no interest in dealing with the Americans.
__________________
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." Dave Barry
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #20239
pplassm
Brace for collision!
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
Some had no interest in dealing with the Americans.
Yeah, i can vouch for that.
__________________
Pete
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #20240
Downer
Downer
 
Downer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 180
Guy

PM sent
__________________
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." Dave Barry
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #20241
Jinksy
- Jinksy
 
Jinksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 55
Filtered Air Box Vents

Has anyone used Filtered Air Box Vents after drilling holes in there air box? If so, how did it effect the performance?
__________________
Honda CRF 250l
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Honda XR 80
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #20242
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 279
So I spent my lunch break at work today yanking the carb off the DRZ I just got. A couple of days ago I got a new air filter in the mail and when I went to install it I realized the filter that was on the bike was in much worse shape than I had realized. It had holes in it and was disintegrating. When I took the intake side boot off the carb, it was full of fine foam particles. Foam bits were also stuck in the screen behind the filter as well. That's definitely not helping anything. Gonna change that oil soon

When I changed the filter I guess I missed some of the particles and my idle and off-idle fueling problems got noticeably worse. So I drained the carb, opened her up, cleaned everything out with can of spray cleaner pretty thoroughly. Put everything back together and it fired up but wouldn't rev very high. The battery died so i recharged it and now it won't start at all. It sounds like it's not firing one bit which makes me think I might have flooded it and fouled the plug. So I got a ride home from work. Tomorrow I'm going to start by checking my sparkplug's condition and then testing for a good spark... Open the bowl drain screw and make sure the carb is getting gas, and try again. If that doesn't work I guess I'm taking the carb right back off and rechecking the jets and passages. Who knows.

Embarrassing and frustrating. I just want to be back on two wheels again!
__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #20243
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
So I spent my lunch break at work today yanking the carb off the DRZ I just got. A couple of days ago I got a new air filter in the mail and when I went to install it I realized the filter that was on the bike was in much worse shape than I had realized. It had holes in it and was disintegrating. When I took the intake side boot off the carb, it was full of fine foam particles. Foam bits were also stuck in the screen behind the filter as well. That's definitely not helping anything. Gonna change that oil soon

When I changed the filter I guess I missed some of the particles and my idle and off-idle fueling problems got noticeably worse. So I drained the carb, opened her up, cleaned everything out with can of spray cleaner pretty thoroughly. Put everything back together and it fired up but wouldn't rev very high. The battery died so i recharged it and now it won't start at all. It sounds like it's not firing one bit which makes me think I might have flooded it and fouled the plug. So I got a ride home from work. Tomorrow I'm going to start by checking my sparkplug's condition and then testing for a good spark... Open the bowl drain screw and make sure the carb is getting gas, and try again. If that doesn't work I guess I'm taking the carb right back off and rechecking the jets and passages. Who knows.

Embarrassing and frustrating. I just want to be back on two wheels again!
To effectively clean the carbs, you should really pull the bowl, the jets, and the pilot mixture needle (watch for a small o-ring and washer in the pocket under the spring). Clean each of the jets orfices, and flush each circuit out thoroughly with spray carb cleaner and blast out each circuit with compressed air.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #20244
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksy View Post
Has anyone used Filtered Air Box Vents after drilling holes in there air box? If so, how did it effect the performance?
I doubt the difference in performance will be noticeable unless you also add a programmer and a free flowing exhaust. You can probably spend $750 and get 1-2 hp max. Motocyclist had a CBR250r that they decided to take racing in the 250cc street class. After a complete engine and suspension overhaul it was able to keep up with the slightly modified ninja 250s that most everyone else in the class was running. Considering your CRF has the same engine with different tuning you can do a lot to the engine but I doubt you'll get much out in return. I'd check the CRF250 thread see what mods others are doing for power. I'm pretty sure the gearing change will have the most bang for the buck.

Also as you add holes to the airbox, you increase the chances of it ingesting water.
__________________
2009 Wee-Strom, 2008 WR250R
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #20245
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
...So I drained the carb, opened her up, cleaned everything out with can of spray cleaner pretty thoroughly. Put everything back together and it fired up but wouldn't rev very high...
+1 on Guys advice, you're going to need to go deeper and really get it clean. not surprised with the years vs miles on that thing.

on the disintegrated filter, it could just be original and past it's date or sometimes people use cleaners that don't play well with their filter. If you use no-toil cleaner for instance, stick with their brand of filter too or some will get crumbly like that.

oh it can be frustrating all right.. last week I drained my stock tank and put on a bigger aftermarket one and new petcock. Simple right? After some minor clearance issues with the non-stock pumper carb finally got it all worked out, bolted on and plumbed to carb. Used a different gas can - apparently old lawn mower gas from last summer. Hard to start and I could barely keep it running. Spent a couple hours checking and blaming everything under the sun before finally guessing right.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #20246
Jinksy
- Jinksy
 
Jinksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I doubt the difference in performance will be noticeable unless you also add a programmer and a free flowing exhaust. You can probably spend $750 and get 1-2 hp max. Motocyclist had a CBR250r that they decided to take racing in the 250cc street class. After a complete engine and suspension overhaul it was able to keep up with the slightly modified ninja 250s that most everyone else in the class was running. Considering your CRF has the same engine with different tuning you can do a lot to the engine but I doubt you'll get much out in return. I'd check the CRF250 thread see what mods others are doing for power. I'm pretty sure the gearing change will have the most bang for the buck.

Also as you add holes to the airbox, you increase the chances of it ingesting water.
Yeah, I heard of people doing this and wasn't sure about it. Was curious if anyone had done it before. Seems like it's to be worse in the long run. Thanks for the reply
__________________
Honda CRF 250l
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Honda XR 80
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #20247
Defaultgateway
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Shortpump, Va.
Oddometer: 83
Seriously nice riding weather today, 'ride-um like you stole-em day...."
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #20248
Jinksy
- Jinksy
 
Jinksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 55
Anyone know about this...

http://www.forpwc.com/

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ort-trails.kmz
__________________
Honda CRF 250l
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Honda XR 80
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #20249
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwn306's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 424
Not sure but the owners of Motorcycle Factory in Woodbridge, VA were talking about something like this a year or two ago, they sell a ton of motocross and dirt bikes so it could be them. To me it seems a little pricey when we have all the fire service roads 2 hours away. For you fellows in Richmond you would be looking at a minimum of 2 hours to get to Nokesville, easy.

For someone like Eddie that has a small one riding it would probably be good, if they have a safe area for the little ones to learn & ride.

I have 5 acres, when my grandson or grand daughter gets old enough to get the itch I will take the John Deere, bush hog, chain saw, etc. and blaze a trail for the little buggers.
__________________
Kurt Nordstrom
Spotsylvania, VA
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #20250
Jinksy
- Jinksy
 
Jinksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Not sure but the owners of Motorcycle Factory in Woodbridge, VA were talking about something like this a year or two ago, they sell a ton of motocross and dirt bikes so it could be them. To me it seems a little pricey when we have all the fire service roads 2 hours away. For you fellows in Richmond you would be looking at a minimum of 2 hours to get to Nokesville, easy.

For someone like Eddie that has a small one riding it would probably be good, if they have a safe area for the little ones to learn & ride.

I have 5 acres, when my grandson or grand daughter gets old enough to get the itch I will take the John Deere, bush hog, chain saw, etc. and blaze a trail for the little buggers.
Nice to know, It is a bit pricey. Don't know if it includes all of these trails.
__________________
Honda CRF 250l
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Honda XR 80
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014