ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #20626
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
If I remember right, Dan said that the riser brand on his DR650 was "Powermadd"
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #20627
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
LOL!

The KLR has a 238 watt system. Altho' my bike started Saturday morning just fine (I removed the GPS from its cradle overnight), later in the day it didn't do so well.

Running with the headlight on, GPS on, Gerbings Jacket on (cranked fairly high) and repeated stops for photo ops, it refused to crank after taking the chickens stop photos. Fortunately, its ignition is a magneto so we could bump start it. Did find after that I musta flipped the headlight on high beam. I have an 80/100 bulb in it, so I am sure that didn't help.

Cranked and ran fine Sunday morning for departure, but I ran without the headlight for the better part of the trip home. Only stopped once for gas in Churchville, and finally turned on the headlight after we passed Charlottesville. Started fine this a.m., even after leaving the GPS in its cradle overnight.

My Odyssey battery is approaching 10 years old, so it may be time to invest in a new one.

10 YEARS!? Really? That is amazing. I need to keep the Odyssey in mind. Did you add a switch to be able to kill the headlight on the KLR?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #20628
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
10 YEARS!? Really? That is amazing. I need to keep the Odyssey in mind. Did you add a switch to be able to kill the headlight on the KLR?
I did.

Early on I replaced the LH switch cluster with a plug and play version that allows you to turn off the headlight, just turn on the rear tail light, or turn on the headlight. It also contains the horn PB, turn signal w/push cancellation, and the euro-style headlamp flasher trigger to alert folks in front you're about to pass. Got it from a fella in Ohio who was just beginning to market them. He did all the plug and switch wiring modifications to make it a simple plug and play replacement. $38 IIRC.

Only downside was that the LH mirror mount went away because it was a part of the OEM switch housing. Fix that with an aftermarket mirror bracket, but I modified that to accept the "choke" lever since it was a part of the housing too.

Some of the later mirror mounts came tapped and modified to accept the "choke" lever. Being the frugal type, I fashioned my own.

There seem to be a ton of those switch housing arrangements on eBay now.

Since I ride in all sorts of weather, I made up my own 4-way flasher arrangement to keep from getting run over in poor visibility. My Connie has that, and I wanted it for my KLR too.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #20629
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Guy, that is a nice set up on your KLR.
Does running an 80/100 watt bulb have any drawback besides using up more wattage? ie, like the headlight harness getting too hot?
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #20630
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
If I remember right, Dan said that the riser brand on his DR650 was "Powermadd"
yup, powermadd 475 to be exact. 475 being the width of the lower yoke which is right for most bikes. They sell a 325 (3.25) - that's the wrong one. Ask me how I know. both come in various rises, 1" - 3" at least.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=powermadd+475

Wattage.. Think we're only working with about 200w on a DR650. It's enough to run a widder vest on high, but that's probably about it. maybe do a gps too.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #20631
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Guy, that is a nice set up on your KLR.
Does running an 80/100 watt bulb have any drawback besides using up more wattage? ie, like the headlight harness getting too hot?
Thus far, haven't seen any issues.

Usually, the harness is fine. It's the lamp socket that takes the hit. Many a Connie owner, including myself, have had that problem with 80/100 (or higher) bulbs. Resistance in the housing's contact-to-bulb prongs, resistance + current produce heat, and the resultant heat causes the problem..... like melting the socket contact housing.

For awhile there Connie folks were using the bulb sockets from an early model Honda Civic. They were made of some ceramic material that laughed at the heat. You'd play hell trying to find one of those now.

I had to replace mine a number of years ago using a NAPA part, but still had to modify it by adding shims to put more pressure on the socket-to-lamp contacts. So far so good. Have burned out a couple of bulbs since, and they've always been nice and tight when I pulled back the socket. Needless to say, being a I-carry-spares kinda fella, I do have a spare - JIC.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #20632
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
More Images of Blue Grass Valley in Winter

I didn't have time this past weekend to take enough pictures to do justice to Blue Grass Valley in Winter .
I thought I would share a few images I took in January 2012 when I rode it by myself. I had the time to take lots more and better quality pictures.
There's just something very special about this place to me and few people actually get to see it in Winter.

Traveling from North to South:

Enjoy

Mickey

I absolutely loved these husky little ponies. They seemed starved for attention.

Snowy Mountain at the North end

Telephoto

Hightown cross roads

MADSTROM screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:55 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #20633
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Good things happening

Just heard from the owner of the 1968 Yamaha YG5T down in Va Beach. Am going down this week to see it. If it is all there, it is coming home with me. Andrew, I may be taking you up on your kind offer. I should know by the weekend.

I love it when a plan comes together.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #20634
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Just heard from the owner of the 1968 Yamaha YG5T down in Va Beach. Am going down this week to see it. If it is all there, it is coming home with me. Andrew, I may be taking you up on your kind offer. I should know by the weekend.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Is that your next Moto Giro project?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #20635
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Quality landscape shots. Be sure to share with LadyDraco, I think you photographed her last house!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #20636
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Quality landscape shots. Be sure to share with LadyDraco, I think you photographed her last house!
I sent her a PM. Which house is it?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #20637
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,458
In this photo of 640 if ya had hooked a left on to 639 then another right onto 637 you would have gotten my old farm....

I see it was a warm dry winter ... The lower road 640 is always know as more picturesque.. My road 637 not so much...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #20638
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Guy, the four way flasher idea/mod is an excellent one. Can you explain how it was done or is there a thread that details it? My FJR had that feature and it seems more bikes would have it or even be required to have it. Parking lights on a bike are just a good way to accidentally kill the battery.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #20639
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
yup, powermadd 475 to be exact. 475 being the width of the lower yoke which is right for most bikes. They sell a 325 (3.25) - that's the wrong one. Ask me how I know. both come in various rises, 1" - 3" at least.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=powermadd+475

Wattage.. Think we're only working with about 200w on a DR650. It's enough to run a widder vest on high, but that's probably about it. maybe do a gps too.
Which rise did you go with and is it the one you would recommend? I am sorry I didn't get to see your combat roll from the down hill u-turn Sunday AM. I've done it a couple of times, but I have never seen what I look like doing it. The moment when I realize that my short leg is not going to reach the ground in time to stop the gaining momentum of the leaning bike is one of total despair.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #20640
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Yet more Black Ice Ride Pics

Mickey did a great job of posting most of what we all saw. Since we all stopped at the same time, the pics all are very similar, but I still would like to throw these out there. I had my GoPro but was afraid to use it for fear of jinx'ing everyone in the conditions, but I did use it on the ride up Reddish Knob on Monday. Got some great video, but I am again in that netherworld between my new iMac and finally driving a stake thru the heart of my old Windows computer. Will be looking for decent video conversion software today so I can post something that is not .m4v or .mov Arrrgh.

Anyhow. This is the Germany Valley overlook at a bright crisp 25F.

It has snowed on us the night before and the roads were fairly clear, but it was still all around.

Here is why we didn't make it up Spruce Knob. Next time we'll all mount TKCs and bring some studs.

After failing on Spruce Knob, we turned south and decided to come back over Snowy Mountain Road from Cherry Grove.

It was a beautiful day, even if it was very nippy.

Mickey then suggested we head to Bluegrass for lunch at the General Store. This road was off Snowy Mtn Rd and comes into Bluegrass from the north. Chuck took the picture for me.

It was really cold. Never saw an icicle stalagmite before.

Finally, what was just not spoken about was our secret desire to become doomsday preppers. This ride was just a smokescreen to hide the real reason we rode to WV in February and froze our asses off. The real reason was our fear of the coming zombie chicken apocalypse. That pic that Mickey posted showed a gang of them waiting to ambush us in Doe Hill. We just barely got away with our lives.

So in between rides, we practiced. And practiced. And practiced. I can confidently say now that any zombie chicken setting foot on our farm is dead meat. We hammered this one over and over again from 20 yards. Guys, thanks for letting me have that trip down memory lane with the M1911's. That was a lot of fun.

Boys will be boys.

I ended up with just over 500 miles by the time I got home on Monday. And because of a wardrobe malfunction I did it without electric gear from Saturday on. All I can say is that if you are going to be stupid in the winter, you'd better be tough.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote