ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #20806
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Try the Grill at Waterford. They do brunch Saturday and Sunday. The service can be hit or miss, but the food is great. They are right at Genito and Old Hundred.

went yesterday, been there twice- first and last.

food was ok, service was not. damn shame you have to get up and chase down the waitress to pay the tab.

wifey and I talked about the poor service on the way home. they must assign staff as people come in, not by sections of the place. our waitress had two tables in the far back (one being us), the first table by the door and one in the middle. wtf?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #20807
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,768
@ Eddy, after we split yesterday my heated grips started working again. When we stopped and I turned off the bike it reset the controller. My hands were nice and warm riding home.

I also found my heated glove liners in the garage after I got home. I have a set of these http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-glove-liners/. I'm not sure how compatable they are with your current controller/jacket liner but they are not much thicker than the standard silk liners. I have not used them a lot but I do recommend setting them up on their own controller. I noticed that a comfortable setting for my jacket liner is much lower than what I want for my gloves.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 06:27 AM Reason: typo
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #20808
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
went yesterday, been there twice- first and last.

food was ok, service was not. damn shame you have to get up and chase down the waitress to pay the tab.

wifey and I talked about the poor service on the way home. they must assign staff as people come in, not by sections of the place. our waitress had two tables in the far back (one being us), the first table by the door and one in the middle. wtf?
Sorry to hear. The service is definitely hit or miss, and they are always understaffed so it's most of the time a miss. But I do really enjoy the food.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #20809
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
@ Eddy, after we split yesterday my heated grips started working again. When we stopped and I turned off the bike it reset the controller. My hands were nice and warm riding home...
Sorry I missed you guys. sorta. never did warm up much. When I got home at 1:30 it was still only 34° by my outside thermometer.

Started perusing HID headlight options.. Figure that should free up enough juice for heated gloves or grips (concurrently with my widder vest). DR headlight is not great anyway so two birds with one stone. Anybody have words of wisdom on the HID front?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #20810
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Sorry I missed you guys. sorta. never did warm up much. When I got home at 1:30 it was still only 34° by my outside thermometer.

Started perusing HID headlight options.. Figure that should free up enough juice for heated gloves or grips (concurrently with my widder vest). DR headlight is not great anyway so two birds with one stone. Anybody have words of wisdom on the HID front?
Why HID? Check the state laws but couldn't you could replace your headlight with someting like a Clearwater Krista LED that is VERY powerful, dimmable and is only 36 watts? From their website: "As with all Clearwater lights, Krista is fully dimmable and can switch from a LOW beam to a HIGH beam with a flick of the factory high beam switch.
http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty damn cold yesterday! My jacket liner worked great but my gloves were too small to use over the liners so I just used the thin liners...brrr! Fortunately, I have Barkbusters to block some of the wind. I need to buy some pant liners as well.
I headed home after I caught myself shivering in the saddle a couple of times. Not good as getting too cold can affect judgment and reasoning! I parked the bike, hooked it up to the battery tender then slid into the 106 degree hot tub for 20 minutes and all was well and back to normal!

I have this Touratech sidestand switch guard for a R1200GS, new in the bag...anybody want this for $19? I am going to ship it back at the end of the week if I don't hear from anyone. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...00GS-2004-2005

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 08:52 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #20811
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Why HID? Check the state laws but couldn't you could replace your headlight with someting like a Clearwater Krista LED that is VERY powerful, dimmable and is only 36 watts? I'm not sure how a dimmable light would work for state inspections.

From their website: "As with all Clearwater lights, Krista is fully dimmable "
http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html ...
"Priced at $649 a set, they come with easy to follow installation instructions..."
Son of a mother! I don't like to ride after dark that much.

HID are 35 watts and kits start < $50. Some reported excellent results with these..
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting

I did some two up sport touring with Deb later.. in the Miata. there was snow on the ground in Surrey/Sussex counties. My hands did not get cold at all.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #20812
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:

You didn't miss much. Both of us were having issues with frozen hands. Me because my heat-troller for my grips ended up needing to be reset, and Eddy because he had glove/liner issues. I'm not sure how well his mesh Kevlar suit did even with the liners installed. He'll have to speak to that one.

I think it was all of 33 degrees when we met out by the airport. I thought it was supposed to be warmer so I didn't have my coldest weather gear on. I was wearing:

Jeans
Wool Socks
Long sleeve shirt
Fleece overpants from REI rated as windproof up to 50mph
Tourmaster Solution WP boots
Aerostich Roadcrafter
Firstgear Fargo gloves with silk liners
WarmNSafe 90 Watt jacket liner 3rd gen
Arai Vector 2 which lets in too much air in the winter in stock trim
Proline Helmet skirt http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windj...nd-blocker.htm
Pinlock insert

The helmet works great with the pinlock and the helmet skirt. The pinlock keeps my breath from fogging the shield and the proline blocks enough air that the inside gets warm enough that my face isn't cold and my glasses don't fog. I didn't have to crack my shield open at all yesterday. I did open a brow vent or two to unfog my glasses when I had just put on the helmet before it had warmed up inside it.

My hands were cold when the grips were not working and my toes were getting cold before I made it home. My legs and upper body were fine but I could tell the lack of insulation between the stich and the heated liner was making it work. Next time I'll have to remember the rest of my cold riding gear. That includes underarmor cold gear, heated glove liners, heated socks, thin fleece to wear over the heated jacket liner and provide insulation and a balaclava just in case my head gets cold. I don't think I've used it all at once. I've used most of the stuff excluding the heated gear all at once. It was workable for a bit but it inspired me to invest in the heated gear.

I also have not tried using all the heated gear at once. It wasn't until Christmas I had more than once controller. The gloves and socks I think are rated at 11 watts each for a total of 44 watts.. The jacket at 90. I've yet to use the jacket at full. If the gloves work well enough, I could cut off the grip heaters that are rated at 40 watts. I hope they do because using them is the plan instead of using grip heaters on the WR.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #20813
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
I retro fitted in some HIDs into my PIAAs about two years ago. I purchased off eBay for about $35 for the kit, if memory serves me. Slimline ballasts, 5 or 6k lamps, I can't remember which. Too white IMO. I wish I would have gone with 3-4k instead. One of the ballasts crapped out in about a week. The seller replaced immediately after a quick email. They worked fantastic. I never had a problem with them after that and I shook them pretty good. Biggest problem was figuring where to tuck the ballast on the gs. Prior to i was burning lamps regularly.
VAC
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #20814
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
You didn't miss much. Both of us were having issues with frozen hands. Me because my heat-troller for my grips ended up needing to be reset, and Eddy because he had glove/liner issues. I'm not sure how well his mesh Kevlar suit did even with the liners installed. He'll have to speak to that one.

I think it was all of 33 degrees when we met out by the airport. I thought it was supposed to be warmer so I didn't have my coldest weather gear on. I was wearing:

Jeans
Wool Socks
Long sleeve shirt
Fleece overpants from REI rated as windproof up to 50mph
Tourmaster Solution WP boots
Aerostich Roadcrafter
Firstgear Fargo gloves with silk liners
WarmNSafe 90 Watt jacket liner 3rd gen
Arai Vector 2 which lets in too much air in the winter in stock trim
Proline Helmet skirt http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windj...nd-blocker.htm
Pinlock insert

The helmet works great with the pinlock and the helmet skirt. The pinlock keeps my breath from fogging the shield and the proline blocks enough air that the inside gets warm enough that my face isn't cold and my glasses don't fog. I didn't have to crack my shield open at all yesterday. I did open a brow vent or two to unfog my glasses when I had just put on the helmet before it had warmed up inside it.

My hands were cold when the grips were not working and my toes were getting cold before I made it home. My legs and upper body were fine but I could tell the lack of insulation between the stich and the heated liner was making it work. Next time I'll have to remember the rest of my cold riding gear. That includes underarmor cold gear, heated glove liners, heated socks, thin fleece to wear over the heated jacket liner and provide insulation and a balaclava just in case my head gets cold. I don't think I've used it all at once. I've used most of the stuff excluding the heated gear all at once. It was workable for a bit but it inspired me to invest in the heated gear.

I also have not tried using all the heated gear at once. It wasn't until Christmas I had more than once controller. The gloves and socks I think are rated at 11 watts each for a total of 44 watts.. The jacket at 90. I've yet to use the jacket at full. If the gloves work well enough, I could cut off the grip heaters that are rated at 40 watts. I hope they do because using them is the plan instead of using grip heaters on the WR.
HEHEHEHEEHHEH
It's been hovering around 20 up here for a while....

MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #20815
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
"Priced at $649 a set, they come with easy to follow installation instructions..."
Son of a mother! I don't like to ride after dark that much.
HID are 35 watts and kits start < $50. Some reported excellent results with these..
Yeah, they are very expensive! But they were selling them as fast as $1 beers at the BMW rally in MO last summer, there was a LINE of bikes waiting to have them installed along with tires, pipes, etc...

I know the DR is different from the GS but this may help you if you do the switch. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288538
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #20816
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
HEHEHEHEEHHEH
It's been hovering around 20 up here for a while....
Not sure what possessed you to move back up there but I hope it wasn't the weather.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #20817
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:

Just do a lot of research to make sure you buy a setup that will work well. People have had problems focusing the beams for hi and low. Procycle sells one but it seems to be pointing down the road instead of onto the road. They said they tried multiple kits to find one that worked well with the stock lens. It does not look good enough to me. It will be worth it if you can get it to come out right.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #20818
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
DS Rear Turn Signals

I need new turn signals on the rear of my DR650. The stock ones did not flex much and broke easily. I tried a small LED set. They did not break but are so small they are not very visible. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #20819
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Quote:
Not sure what possessed you to move back up there but I hope it wasn't the weather.
Pissed off the wrong Pope too many times and got his a$$ run out of town.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #20820
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Just an FYI regarding HID conversion units

Not sure how accurate this is, but I was considering a conventional bulb change to one of the HID (conversion) versions that had the mechanical mechanism to change between "high" and "low" beam..... basically a device that shifted the bulb back and forth in the housing to change the focal point on the OEM reflector.... effectively shifting the beam up and down. I was considering such a conversion for my KLR several years ago.

Mentioned this to couple of folks of my intentions and they advised against it for potential legal reasons. Their claim was that if you ever blinded the driver of an oncoming vehicle due to the bulb's intensity... enough for them to have an accident.... if an investigation ensued and it was found that the HID "lamp" was being used with a reflector that wasn't designed specifically for it, you could be liable for any damages that were a result of that person's accident.

Again, not sure just how credible this claim is, but it was enough for me to back off and just install an 80/100 incandescent.