ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #20986
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
How to treat a bike you don't own

Eddy, take notes
Geez Mike I thought only KTM's could do cool stuff like that.... That's insane.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #20987
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Liver and onions? Bleeh. Next you will be telling you actually LIKE Scrapple. :-)
How did you know?
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #20988
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,204
I like everything about scrapple except stirring the kettles. Can't hold a stirrer and a beer at the same time.

I do like the sausage better though.

2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #20989
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Liver and onions? Bleeh. Next you will be telling you actually LIKE Scrapple. :-)
Actually, I do. I have a package of RAPA Scrapple in the fridge now. Fried up with some hash browns and eggs, that makes for a delicious breakfast.

You forget, I was born and raised in Western PA, so my mom fixed all that good stuff for us on a regular basis. A lot of the local ethnic foods were common too.

I will admit that one thing she fixed, candied yams, which I absolutely hated. One other time she fixed a "pumpkin" pie, or so I thought. She asked how I liked the pie, to which I replied,"I love pumpkin pie.... and that's when she revealed it was made from sweet potatoes. Dhoo!

I really learned to like sweet potatoes when I was in basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC. They served them a lot, and if you didn't eat what was on your tray, you went hungry. I've never been one to go hungry, so down the hatch they went.

Today, I love them..... along with liver and onions - AND - scrapple.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #20990
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
I like everything about scrapple except stirring the kettles. Can't hold a stirrer and a beer at the same time.

I do like the sausage better though.

Somehow, I just figured ya'll made it up there. I'm a sausage fan as well.

We had a large Amish community just north of where I was raised. Once a week they would come up our street in a buggy selling eggs and their sausage. Most of the time that's where my mom got those items for the week. I loved it.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #20991
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
You forget, I was born and raised in Western PA, so my mom fixed all that good stuff for us on a regular basis. A lot of the local ethnic foods were common too.
We all have our childhood unique family foods. I recall my father loving red kidney beans, ladled over white bread, and covered with ketchup. Not my favorite, but when you grow up in the depression you eat what you got.

My favorite family unique food? Fried cornmeal mush. My dad loved it, but my mom didn't love making it, so it was special treat when we got it. Thinly sliced and fried hard, then drizzled with maple syrup. Hmmm. Hmmm.

I do love fresh beef liver, pan-fried in butter(without batter). Sautéed onions on the side. Yes, it is a cholesterol bomb, but man does it taste good.

We need to have a Richmond ADV pot-luck, with each bringing something really unique that they love. I'd ride to that.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #20992
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,987
Quote:
Actually, I do. I have a package of RAPA Scrapple in the fridge now. Fried up with some hash browns and eggs, that makes for a delicious breakfast.

I will admit that one thing she fixed, candied yams, which I absolutely hated. One other time she fixed a "pumpkin" pie, or so I thought. She asked how I liked the pie, to which I replied,"I love pumpkin pie.... and that's when she revealed it was made from sweet potatoes. Dhoo!

I really learned to like sweet potatoes when I was in basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC. They served them a lot, and if you didn't eat what was on your tray, you went hungry. I've never been one to go hungry, so down the hatch they went.

Today, I love them..... along with liver and onions - AND - scrapple.

I've never tried liver in my life. A few weeks ago I thought I'd try some so I bought some liver wurst at the deli. I kept it in the fridge for 2 weeks before I finally decided that if it really was the worst, I wouldn't even try it.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #20993
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I've never tried liver in my life. A few weeks ago I thought I'd try some so I bought some liver wurst at the deli. I kept it in the fridge for 2 weeks before I finally decided that if it really was the worst, I wouldn't even try it.
Braunschweiger, which is probably what you got, is a form of Liverwurst. Oscar Mayer sells small tubes of it, but I usually get a much larger package of it made by Kahns. Very good.

I usually whack off 1/4" thick slices, place on bread, add on some thin slices of onion, and and mayonnaise. Makes an excellent sandwich. I was raised on that stuff too.

YMMV, of course.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #20994
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
We all have our childhood unique family foods. I recall my father loving red kidney beans, ladled over white bread, and covered with ketchup. Not my favorite, but when you grow up in the depression you eat what you got.

My favorite family unique food? Fried cornmeal mush. My dad loved it, but my mom didn't love making it, so it was special treat when we got it. Thinly sliced and fried hard, then drizzled with maple syrup. Hmmm. Hmmm.

I do love fresh beef liver, pan-fried in butter(without batter). Sautéed onions on the side. Yes, it is a cholesterol bomb, but man does it taste good.

We need to have a Richmond ADV pot-luck, with each bringing something really unique that they love. I'd ride to that.

jeff
THAT, is an excellent idea. Hell, I'd even walk for that.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #20995
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Let me just start by saying thanks to everyone who took time to respond/help regarding my hunt for a DRZ/WR.

My problem is transporting a bike if it's not street ready or the weather is bad. I don't have a trailer or pick-up truck, I have a full size cargo van but I'm sure it wouldn't be tall enough inside unless I took the wheels off. To rent a pick-up from u-haul would be about $250 which I could deal with, but that's about what a shipper would charge.
Any ideas???
Where's the bike at? I have a truck. Pm me since I don't stay current on all the gossip.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #20996
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

jeff
My memories weren't so much unique dishes, but that my grandparents on both sides had massive gardens and grew damn near everything. My maternal grandparents hand milked their cows and and gathered eggs from the chickens everyday. The corn, tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, green beans, and more were SO much tastier fresh out of the garden. But one thing I've not had in 30 years is fresh from the cow milk. It was so sweet, I never put sugar on my cornflakes when I was up there.
One weird thing was that my paternal grandparents regularly had bear and HORSE meat in the freezer! Yes...HORSE!
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #20997
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 77
Hello everyone. Been lurking for awhile. I traded bikes with Higworld (nice job on the seat and the number plate!).

Hopefully I will have more time in the next year to come play in the next year. I have zero experience on dirt (except that time in Colorado and Yosemite where they were redoing the roads, but that’s a story for another time), so I join the crowd wanting to learn and practice.

Eddy: I got the Hightechcoonass power controller for my F800gs. Works well, but still under 5 mph a little twitchy. Thanks for mentioning the sprocket change out.

BTW- I am selling some camping gear and motorcycle stuff on craigs list, a full list is here: http://goo.gl/aI3J0 . PM or e-mail if you’re interested in any of the stuff there. Hope it is ok that I posted this here. Once I sell my enclosed trailer, I’ll be looking for a lighter open trailer so I can drop my bikes at the shop. Please let me know if you know of a good place to get one.

Also, I am looking for someone locally to do some work on my F800gs. I have a few things I need to get done, but keep not finding the time. One thing in particular is to install a Mirage 2 and some electrical connections, and mods here and there. Maybe a new sprocket. ;-) Please PM me if you are interested or have a suggestion of someone. I’d like to get the work done in the next month.

I look forward to meeting ya’ll.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #20998
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
My memories weren't so much unique dishes, but that my grandparents on both sides had massive gardens and grew damn near everything. My maternal grandparents hand milked their cows and and gathered eggs from the chickens everyday. The corn, tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, green beans, and more were SO much tastier fresh out of the garden. But one thing I've not had in 30 years is fresh from the cow milk. It was so sweet, I never put sugar on my cornflakes when I was up there.
One weird thing was that my paternal grandparents regularly had bear and HORSE meat in the freezer! Yes...HORSE!
LOL!

I was raised on goat's milk.

I was allergic to cow's milk (amongst other things), and my mom was diabetic so I couldn't nurse. The docs recommended goat's milks and that seemed to work. My dad made some deals with some farmers out the road and that's where they got it.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #20999
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,992
@DrWhipit, my WR is 52 inches tall at the handlebars. A little taller than I thought. That also assumes you remove or fold the mirrors.

@The rest of yff, stop talking about scrapple, and the other mystery meats. You are reminding me of the summer I worked in the walmart deli in Christiansburg Va. I don't eat roast beef because of working there. We had all the odd meats there. I've even blocked out some of the names from my memory. The roast beef is because over half the roast beef packages I opened were rancid. The date said they were fine but you would open it and the smell would just linger.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #21000
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
LOL!

I was raised on goat's milk.

I was allergic to cow's milk (amongst other things), and my mom was diabetic so I couldn't nurse. The docs recommended goat's milks and that seemed to work. My dad made some deals with some farmers out the road and that's where they got it.

My Uncle (Daddy's brother) had Nubien goats when I was a kid . I loved the goats, still do but, the milk was just toooooo strong for me. Good thing I wasn't allergic to cow’s milk. I still drink lots of it. The organic super homogenized whole milk none of that wussy 2% or less stuff.
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote