ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #21091
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Greg
I'm trying to get Eddy to go camping .... Weather permitting. If possible we should try some remote camping, not in a campground. I have a couple nice places I'm thinking about. Interested?
How remote and how close? Hog Camp Gap is a nice spot that's close. It's right on the AT with a fire ring or two and a spring a short hike away. You have to hike your gear in, but only a few hundred feet since the meadow is fenced off from the gravel road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...08808&t=h&z=17

It's that clearing just north of the road. There's a short hike to the top of the ridge north, with good views and a longer hike south of the road to very nice views.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #21092
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 845
I'd love to do the Celtic thing ... but ill be in Charlottesville tomorrow night. Bummer. But I will try it out next time.

Mobile Tagging HQ

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #21093
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Greg
I'm trying to get Eddy to go camping .... Weather permitting. If possible we should try some remote camping, not in a campground. I have a couple nice places I'm thinking about. Interested?
Chuck, Yes, that'd be great...I'd prefer camping. I'm up for remote camping.

Have fun in C-ville Rick. I'll let you know how the Celtic jam session goes. I've never attended but sounds cool.

DirtDoctor screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 03:19 PM
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #21094
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Yes, that'd be great...I'd prefer camping. I'm up for remote camping.
I'd like to join in on the fun. I personally love camping but seem to remember Eddy saying he got his fill of it in the military.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #21095
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Camping

Hey Boon .... We may be talking about the same area. We usually go in off of 60 at the rest area, just east of the BRP. The AT goes through the same area. I'm thinking of the area heading over to Tower Road before you get to Alhambra.

Lots of camping areas with fire rings. It would be nice to find an area with running water nearby.

I know Eddy has a tent. If he needs a heavier bag I can get that for him as well.
Eddy?

skychs screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 05:20 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #21096
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I'd like to join in on the fun. I personally love camping but seem to remember Eddy saying he got his fill of it in the military.
I'm up for anything...don't make me sound like too much of a wuss! It's just my personal belief that a queen size bed, heat, hot showers, electricity, tasty meals eaten on tablecloths near a well stocked bar is better than living like a 22 year old grunt all over again.
Let's camp! I just need to go buy some of Andrew's old gear and toss out most of the cheap Wal-Mart gear I've collected over the years.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #21097
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I'm up for anything...don't make me sound like too much of a wuss! It's just my personal belief that a queen size bed, heat, hot showers, electricity, tasty meals eaten on tablecloths near a well stocked bar is better than living like a 22 year old grunt all over again.
Let's camp! I just need to go buy some of Andrew's old gear and toss out most of the cheap Wal-Mart gear I've collected over the years.
Sorry. Anyone who has served isn't a wuss in my book. I have two different tents. A two man I use with a Thermarest for light weight travel and a four man tent I use with an inflatable queen size mattress with a 12v inflator for comfort. Both tents are from Target, but they have both done overnight rain with no leaks. I plan on using the two man w/Thermarest if anyone needs the other. I have no cooking stuff however. I was planning to pick up a Jet Boil for "Frolic In The Forest" after I get my REI dividend, but that might not be before the 16th.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #21098
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I am totally going to miss out on this one.... durnit..

I have figured out how to live like a king even in -10 degree F snow camping.. Get one of those 3 inch thick therma-rest type sleeping mats are REI... a zero degree down bag.. some nice silk weight thermal underwear (llbean).. and a nice flannel blankie of your choice :) Keep a empty Nalgene bottle in the sleeping bag to protect against those horrible middle of the night nature calls.. they make great foot warmers after the fact ;)

Yall have fun... wish I could make it.

I'll be happy to loan out the JetBoil with fuel and the french coffee press if yall wanna give it a try. The only problem I have found with the JetBoil is that if it is cold as hell.. the thing won't stay lit... but that is sub zero... PM me if yer interested.

Toys are for sharing is my motto..

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:24 PM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #21099
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Hey Boon .... We may be talking about the same area. We usually go in off of 60 at the rest area, just east of the BRP. The AT goes through the same area. I'm thinking of the area heading over to Tower Road before you get to Alhambra.

Lots of camping areas with fire rings. It would be nice to find an area with running water nearby.

I know Eddy has a tent. If he needs a heavier bag I can get that for him as well.
Eddy?

Why don't you look out on Woodson Road Rte 666 out of Lowesville. About 5 miles out it becomes Alhambra. That's the Piney River on your right all the way out. A group of us camped out there a bunch of years ago right on the Piney River. There should be plenty of free firewood plus the general store is right there on the way out plus there is the Mountain View Restaurant which is open on weekends only.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #21100
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post

I'll be happy to loan out the JetBoil with fuel and the french coffee press if yall wanna give it a try. The only problem I have found with the JetBoil is that if it is cold as hell.. the thing won't stay lit... but that is sub zero... PM me if yer interested.

Toys are for sharing is my motto..
If any of you hardcore campers needs to entice Eddy out of the hotel room, I have a nice Italian espresso maker that works wonders over a multi-fuel stove. That, and some biscotti in the morning and I'm always good to go.....

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #21101
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
cooks mill just up from the court house
Nice to see there's some other New Kenters here. I'm in Five Lakes near the golf course.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #21102
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 845
It's Begun!

The Arm & Hammer shoot. Check out the monitor and the action. Very little of our house is going to be in the shot. LOL! It's also funny to hear the "problems". Apparently her forehead is too long, bangs too short, and her boobs too big. :-)

More on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/higworld

And yikes! They started at 5am!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #21103
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
If any of you hardcore campers needs to entice Eddy out of the hotel room, I have a nice Italian espresso maker that works wonders over a multi-fuel stove. That, and some biscotti in the morning and I'm always good to go.....

Looks like my kind of camping. Sun coming up, already 65F and coffee perking under a palmetto. ahhh.

The reality of March camping in the Va mountains will likely involve frozen mud. I'd still like to go cuz I got cabin fever.. but I'll be on call for work that weekend.

Stove-wise, I have an old school pump up multi-fuel stove. It works good but kind of big/heavy for limited space on DR. Last spring looking for something smaller i found DIY alchohol stove instructions on a hiking web site. Tiny, works like a mother, weighs basically nothing and free. downside is you can't adjust the flame, which is great if you're boiling water, but if you're simmering you best keep stirring and lift the pot occasionally. Anybody wants to try it, come and get it.

like this.
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #21104
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Nice to see there's some other New Kenters here. I'm in Five Lakes near the golf course.
Off of Good Hope Rd here. Near the Diascund Reservoir. Ryan (SplitsLanes) is just around the corner, as well.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #21105
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 110
If you live in New Kent then you know where Eltham is....I'm right across from Whitmore Chevy...1/2 mile before bridge going into WP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Off of Good Hope Rd here. Near the Diascund Reservoir. Ryan (SplitsLanes) is just around the corner, as well.