ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #21211
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Speaking of tires, what's this weestrom running?

Heidenau K60s
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #21212
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Heidenau K60s
They look nice an aggressive without being TKC 80's.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #21213
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Ahh New rubber on the DRZ400. MT-21's. Bastard we need to ride soon. A new battery should go in today.

I'm gettin knob-envy..

BastardB keep me posted on that 244.. I've always been interested, but never tried one.

My 705 rear at about 5k miles now and still life left. I'm half thinking about going knobbier next tire.. Looking for a moderately aggressive offroadish tire thats stable and quiet on the road, sticks like glue when leaned over on the pavement, lasts at least 5k miles and costs in the $50-75 range. The 705 ticks all those boxes but one..

but I want it all!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #21214
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,343
Quote:
Ahh New rubber on the DRZ400. MT-21's. Bastard we need to ride soon. A new battery should go in today.

Looks familiar.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #21215
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I have the same tire on the front of my WR. Even though I think the speed rating is good for 94mph, it says on the sidewall "Do not exceed 75mph". They work pretty good but I find the edge of the tread pretty quick.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #21216
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I have the same tire on the front of my WR. Even though I think the speed rating is good for 94mph, it says on the sidewall "Do not exceed 75mph". They work pretty good but I find the edge of the tread pretty quick.
You're negative nelly 244 comments are the reason I haven't already bought one..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #21217
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Sank: My girlfriend is a member at Fallout and we go pretty regularly, but not lately. You might have even seen me on the dance floor ..Maybe I'll pm you the next time we go out.

Ric, Dan--I went ahead and mounted my front tire tonight after noticing some really uneven wear pattern on the one I had on there. The tire irons were gouging little chunks of it out. Seems like the tire might be pretty old. I managed to puncture a couple little tiny holes in my innertube, but I just decided to use what I had laying around and see if I could make it work.

Found some more RTV in the toolbox and blobbed it on there, then smoothed it out. Let it dry for just a little while and put a little X of vinyl tape over each patch and stuffed her into the new Shinko. So far it's holding air. Hopefully I haven't lost any pressure by morning when it's time to ride into work.

I watched a video or two and decided to balance my wheel myself using the axle and some jackstands. Seems to have worked great! I had 3 1/4oz weights that I'd saved from my old bike. I think that I might need one more but it's pretty damn close at 3/4oz. Thanks for the offer to use your equipment though guys, I sure do appreciate it.

The coolest thing about the tires so far is the actual _name_ of the tire. I've only seen them called by their number, the Shinko 244. But on the sidewall it says in big letters, "GOLDEN BOY" and calls itself a trail riding tire. I'll post a picture when I get the rear mounted as well.

For anyone interested, the sizes that I chose that fit the DRZ400 in this tire model were 21" @ 3" wide, and 18" @ 5.10" wide. Still pretty chunky but obviously much better than the straight knobbies on the road. Here's a picture of the tread pattern. It was only $100 for both tires, very fair deal. I've read of some people running a fatter tire in the front but the 3" is very comparable to the width of the tire that was on there. Maybe 1/4" narrower.

Is that a Kenda 270????

If so, be very, very careful. They are horrible tires on the street.... as in scary horrible. Had a set on my KLR when I couldn't get any TKCs a few years ago. Cheap as shite, but had no choice at the time. Actually sent them up to MT for my second CDR attempt, but sent them back home when the TKCs on the bike were still good.

Once mounted back here, I pulled the front early on once I had some new TKCs in house, but the rear refused to wear out. I finally decided I had enough pucker time from that tire and decided to pull it. I probably pitched some decent tires, for someone, but it wasn't. They got shite-canned; good riddance.

My .02 and YMMV

Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #21218
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I had to order 2 of this item in order to get a great price on one. They're normally $25 each but I got these for $10 each. I'll sell one to the first interested party for $10. It includes the pouch.

Here's a link: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-44-ez-air-gauge.aspx
Dibs if Eddy doesn't take it.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #21219
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Gauge is spoken for

Sorry, but I probably should have posted that Skychs snagged it 4 mins after I posted that.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #21220
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,162
Does anyone locally want my Scala G4 Bluetooth?

SOLD

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 12:04 PM Reason: SOLD
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #21221
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Does anyone locally want my Scala G4 Bluetooth? It has the $35 upgrade that allows you to plug in earbud type speakers instead of (or in addition to) the helmet speakers. It can be used to stream music, make calls, receive calls and then after the call is over, it automatically goes back to the music. It's pretty cool, I just don't use it...

$150 local

Distracted rider. Not for me; I sing to myself.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #21222
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Sold.... Ill take it
Now we can sync up...

Took Nicole and Nick up to Pad Thai for lunch today...Nicole loves the fact that she can use the heated gear on the 650GS...does anyone have a size small Gerbing jacket or liner for sale? She keeps taking my gear.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #21223
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Scala

I already have a Scala G4. I got that one for Jersey Mark. He needs one. The last time he used mine all I heard was "Oh CRAP, Im going down". Sure enough when I looked back he was taking a dirt nap. We still laugh about it.

No more women size Gerbing's here. All I have left to sell is a size 46 mans vest.

The silicone worked on my Sidi boots. The squeaking was driving me crazy.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #21224
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Is that a Kenda 270????

If so, be very, very careful. They are horrible tires on the street.... as in scary horrible. Had a set on my KLR when I couldn't get any TKCs a few years ago. Cheap as shite, but had no choice at the time. Actually sent them up to MT for my second CDR attempt, but sent them back home when the TKCs on the bike were still good.

Once mounted back here, I pulled the front early on once I had some new TKCs in house, but the rear refused to wear out. I finally decided I had enough pucker time from that tire and decided to pull it. I probably pitched some decent tires, for someone, but it wasn't. They got shite-canned; good riddance.

My .02 and YMMV

Shinko 244s. A bit better because the side lugs are bigger and squirm less. My only complaint is that I have no front chicken strip on the 244 and my back tire looks like it has never been leaned over. That and the do not exceed 75 written on the side are my reasons for not buying another. I have a Tw303 waiting to replace it.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #21225
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Shinko 244s. A bit better because the side lugs are bigger and squirm less. My only complaint is that I have no front chicken strip on the 244 and my back tire looks like it has never been leaned over. That and the do not exceed 75 written on the side are my reasons for not buying another. I have a Tw303 waiting to replace it.
Interesting. Tread pattern is almost identical.

Carry on..............