ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #21256
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Morton's Spring Fling is May 17-19, 2013. I plan to tent camp in the Meadow at the Natural Bridge KOA. Cost is $10/person per night to tent camp in the Meadow. Call Carrie at the Natural Bridge KOA ( 800-562-8514 or 540-291-2770) to make reservations and let her know you want to tent camp in the Meadow and you're with the BMW Group for the group rate. All are welcome!!
I'm definitely going to this, sounds like a ton of fun!
+1
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #21257
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I was thinking of sending that to my nephew, but after watching it. No Fcking way. If his folks saw that, they'd never let him go.

All I can say is where was his buddy? Wow. Glad he was okay. It might only have been 10 mph, but it was also every it of a 10 foot drop, with a 400 lb bike and gear on it. Wow.

jeff
His buddy saw him turn left, but didn't realize he was turning left off a cliff.

Quote:
My buddy Darrell (Kawtipper) isn't any slower than me, but doesn't like any dust so usually hangs back quite a bit when I'm leading. He said he saw me make a left turn in the distance. When he got to the step he actually stopped to choose his line (further right than mine) before continuing, totally oblivious that I was semi-conscious, not 20 feet away. He rode a bit further, then became concerned that (a) there was no left turn in the road and (b) I usually wait after challenging sections. So Darrell returned a few minutes later and found me sitting on the side of the road.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #21258
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Scary stuff. I've always wanted to do the TAT alone, but things like this scare me.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #21259
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
How I spent my afternoon

Over the past couple of weeks I've been exploring some of the power line runs in my neighborhood. There was one entrance from Brook Rd. but the trail there was badly overgrown and extremely muddy.

I decided to check the same run but using access from a side road that runs parallel to Chamberlayne/RT. 2. There's no gate and once you get back into it a few hundred feet or so you're surrounded by woods. I stopped once I got to Wilkenson RD going east, but there was more to ride. There were 4 or so water crossings, with a path on either side of the run. When one gets muddy you have to cut across to the opposite side as it becomes dry again by then.

Not a super long or interesting area but there's still more to explore. It was good to get some practice crossing streams either way, and nice to find something rideable close to home. I'll post a video link here tomorrow once it's uploaded for anyone who's interested in scoping the area out.

MAP LINK

Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #21260
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
More right near there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Over the past couple of weeks I've been exploring some of the power line runs in my neighborhood. There was one entrance from Brook Rd. but the trail there was badly overgrown and extremely muddy.

I decided to check the same run but using access from a side road that runs parallel to Chamberlayne/RT. 2. There's no gate and once you get back into it a few hundred feet or so you're surrounded by woods. I stopped once I got to Wilkenson RD going east, but there was more to ride. There were 4 or so water crossings, with a path on either side of the run. When one gets muddy you have to cut across to the opposite side as it becomes dry again by then.

Not a super long or interesting area but there's still more to explore. It was good to get some practice crossing streams either way, and nice to find something rideable close to home. I'll post a video link here tomorrow once it's uploaded for anyone who's interested in scoping the area out.

MAP LINK
If you look on the left side of your map on the other side of the freeway, you'll see Hilliard and Semenary Ave's. You can get to the power line run from the end of Semenary. No fence or gate. It's not great or huge but it could be part of a fun day of DSing.
Once I get my suspension back for my YZ, we'll have to ride!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #21261
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Snowmageddon is coming

Teresa and I are packing the 4WD and heading to the mtns today. I do not want to miss this snowstorm. There is just something I love about being inside, with that wood stove going, while it blizzards outside. Think I may have to put the blade back on the tractor tonight before it gets really bad so we can plow our way out, if we have to.

See ya'll next week.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #21262
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Spring Fling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
I'm definitely going to this, sounds like a ton of fun!
+1
Just go to Morton's site and sign up for the event then call to sign up for the camping separately at the KOA. The huge buffet dinner Saturday night at the Natural Bridge Hotel is outstanding and included in the registration. One of the Dakar Rally riders; Bill Conger, was the keynote speaker last year. I also enjoyed the Beer and Brats Gathering, they're doing it again this year.

http://www.mortonsbmw.com/springfling_2013.html

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/r...ll-conger.html

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #21263
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Catching up

Wow
That TAT video was shocking. Like Jeff says ... It's probably NOT a good idea to show it to anyone who cares about you. He is a very lucky guy.

Jeff .... 12"-18" of snow sounds like a lot of fun. Be careful over there but take a lot of photos.

Greg ... Count me in this year. If the wife wants to go again this year I may have to hotel the event.

Bastard .... The DRZ400 is ready to go. New rubber and a new battery. The electrical system checked out fine. All the connectors were clean and in perfect shape. It was simply a bad battery. Let's ride!

All my flights to Chicago were cancelled today! Here comes the weather!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #21264
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Teresa and I are packing the 4WD and heading to the mtns today. I do not want to miss this snowstorm. There is just something I love about being inside, with that wood stove going, while it blizzards outside.
Jeff mi amigo, tu estas loco!? If I were retired, I'd be headed to Miami for a week! Not towards 18" of snow! I only want to see snow if I am on a ski lift! It's pretty but a PITA!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #21265
Jeff Munn

Loco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff mi amigo, tu estas loco!? If I were retired, I'd be headed to Miami for a week! Not towards 18" of snow! I only want to see snow if I am on a ski lift! It's pretty but a PITA!
Yes Eddy, I am crazy. But my wife loves my kind of crazy so I am a lucky man. All my life, I've been happiest in big snows. Don't you remember that excitement as a kid, when you knew a snow was coming and school might be canceled? Then it started snowing and you were praying for it to not stop? Then they announce on the radio that school is canceled and you go crazy with euphoria? That's how I feel at the cabin when a big snow hits. Trouble is, we only get 2-3 of them a year now, so I want to be there. I used to love snow so much I'd go backpacking in NH over Christmas vacations from college. I love the absolute quiet that comes with a snowfall in the forest. The rest of the world just goes away.

Besides, it will be in the 50's this weekend and it will all be gone within a week.

jeff

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #21266
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Teresa and I are packing the 4WD and heading to the mtns today. I do not want to miss this snowstorm. There is just something I love about being inside, with that wood stove going, while it blizzards outside. Think I may have to put the blade back on the tractor tonight before it gets really bad so we can plow our way out, if we have to.

See ya'll next week.

jeff
With the exception of putting a plow on a tractor, that sounds heavenly! When your surroundings are covered with snow there's an increased "silence" to the already serene atmosphere. Birds sound different and wildlife is easier to spot because of the contrast with the snow. It's like a new take on a familiar place.
As long as you have food and heated shelter of course.
Stay alive!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #21267
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
I love the absolute quiet that comes with a snowfall in the forest. The rest of the world just goes away.
jeff
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #21268
Jeff Munn

Snow and little critters

I know I posted this a couple years back, but will do it again.

After a nice snowfall you also get to see just how many little critters are out there, by their telltale tracks. This little guy apparently came out looking for some food after the snowfall and was hopping around one of our back fields.

But apparently someone else was hungry after the snow, too. The tracks ended with this.

You just don't get to see things like that too many times in your life.

That's why we warn visitors with little pets, to always keep them on a leash. We have a couple redtailed hawks nesting on the Farm, and this fall we actually saw a golden eagle flying over the place (and those are BIG birds). There are also Bald Eagles in the two valleys on either side of us.

jeff

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #21269
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Yes Eddy, I am crazy. But my wife loves my kind of crazy so I am a lucky man. All my life, I've been happiest in big snows. Don't you remember that excitement as a kid, when you knew a snow was coming and school might be canceled? Then it started snowing and you were praying for it to not stop? Then they announce on the radio that school is canceled and you go crazy with euphoria? That's how I feel at the cabin when a big snow hits. Trouble is, we only get 2-3 of them a year now, so I want to be there.

jeff
Me too!! My kids just laugh because I think I get more excited about the possibility of a snow day(s) than they do. Have fun up there!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #21270
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff mi amigo, tu estas loco!? If I were retired, I'd be headed to Miami for a week! Not towards 18" of snow!...
really.. what happened to Mr. Will BlowSnowForCookies?

That picture of the snow impression where the hawk took the rabbit is pretty dang cool!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote