ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #21466
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,093
Slept very late yesterday and did some yard work since BITB was over before I got up. Went out on the wee for a an hour and half or so later in the day. As i was coming back through Ashland, I was thinking with all the crud on the road, there are going to be a lot of oopses this weekend.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #21467
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Slept very late yesterday and did some yard work since BITB was over before I got up. Went out on the wee for a an hour and half or so later in the day. As i was coming back through Ashland, I was thinking with all the crud on the road, there are going to be a lot of oopses this weekend.
That's one reason I headed east yesterday. I figured (correctly, it turns out) that the roads that way wouldn't be salted/sanded. Had a real nice "learning ride" on the Connie. The only downside is that riding the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck is boring. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #21468
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Sunday must have been the day to drop bikes. Led the Williamsburg Riders Ride to Tappahannock and while on some back roads in King and Queen someone on a new Harley XL hit his front brake while making a left turn and unfortunately for him the road was crowned and had sand on the road. From the accounts of my sweep rider the guy may have entered the turn a bit hot and then panicked when the tires started slipping. Grabbed some front brake, etc. Broke off his shifter and scratched the bottom of the engine cover hardly noticeable plus he was not injured more importantly.

To all the RTE folks Lowry's in Tappahannock may be a good place for an ADV RTE since it has seating for 300, lots of parking, great food and reasonable prices. right in downtown Tappahannock.

jh
+1 on Lowery's. Have eaten there many times on COG rides. Tends to get a little crowded on the w/e.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #21469
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Well .... I dropped the CB900 today pulling into Poe's. As I was setting the kickstand the bike started rolling forward. I held her up as long as I could but over she went, tossing me to the ground. Thanks to everyone who helped me and the bike get back on our feet. Can you say embarrassing? Luckily for me the only damage was a scratch or two on the engine stator cover, left side.

Lesson learned .... if you park on a hill leave it in gear so it will not roll. I usually do, I thought. Dummy, Dummy, Dummy!

Well, Chuck, at least it didn't happen in front of a bunch of bikers. Oh wait...

BTW - Thanks for guide on Friday. As soon as we got onto Main I realized what route we were taking. I haven't taken that way in a year or so.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #21470
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Looking at my work schedule for this upcoming weekend there is a 50/50 chance ill be free.
Anyone care to fill me in on what the plan is as far as camping in the hope that i can make it?
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #21471
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Well, Chuck, at least it didn't happen in front of a bunch of bikers. Oh wait...

BTW - Thanks for guide on Friday. As soon as we got onto Main I realized what route we were taking. I haven't taken that way in a year or so.
Yeah, and even tho' I had my camera in my pocket, I was "nice" and more concerned for his (and the bike's) well-being and didn't pull it out.

He did, however, do a nice 5-point PLF on the asphalt.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #21472
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Yeah, and even tho' I had my camera in my pocket, I was "nice" and more concerned for his (and the bike's) well-being and didn't pull it out.

Gawd that's rough. I get embarrassed dropping my bike when I am alone. Motorcycling needs a new mnemonic device:
IAGATT for: In A Gear All The Time. I wonder what the statistics are for that type of tip over as well as the one where the side stand sinks into the ground? Probably even more than we can imagine.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #21473
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:

Some people will do anything for attention

Happy somebody else stole the thunder this time - having biffed it myself right there in the same parking lot at last month BITB..

We were looking at the CB afterwards. The kickstand, fully deployed, is straight down. not slightly forward like you'd normally expect. Easy to roll off the stand if your facing the least bit of downhill. If you happen to be halfway into your dismount when it happens.... photo op!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #21474
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Some people will do anything for attention

Happy somebody else stole the thunder this time - having biffed it myself right there in the same parking lot at last month BITB..

We were looking at the CB afterwards. The kickstand, fully deployed, is straight down. not slightly forward like you'd normally expect. Easy to roll off the stand if your facing the least bit of downhill. If you happen to be halfway into your dismount when it happens.... photo op!
We, COG (Concours Owners Group) actually has a CDA (Connie Droppers Anonymous) listing.... complete with assigned numbers. A good portion of "ours" occur when folks are trying to get the bike up on the center stand; a real PITA on a bad day.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #21475
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,751
If anyone is planning on the Shen valley RTE weekend after next and want to make it an over nighter, I have rack space in the cabin and there will be fire since the wind and snow gifted me with downed limbs.

Ride well all.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #21476
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
If anyone is planning on the Shen valley RTE weekend after next and want to make it an over nighter, I have rack space in the cabin and there will be fire since the wind and snow gifted me with downed limbs.

Ride well all.
Thanks Blooch. Sounds inviting (and thank you), but I will be up in North East, MD for COG's 17th. annual Crab Cakes Ride that w/e. We'll be camping at Elk Neck State Park.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #21477
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Thanks Blooch. Sounds inviting (and thank you), but I will be up in North East, MD for COG's 17th. annual Crab Cakes Ride that w/e. We'll be camping at Elk Neck State Park.

Good crab cakes always trump a RTE! Have a great time. Attended a sea kayak symposium years ago there. Way up there and nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #21478
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Good crab cakes always trump a RTE! Have a great time. Attended a sea kayak symposium years ago there. Way up there and nice.
In effect, it IS a RTE..... 'cept we'll be really riding to get there. Well, some of us will. We've had folks come down from Canada on occasion, and from all over. Will be having dinner Sat. evening at Woody's Crab Shack there in NE, MD. It's a good time, and damned good food..

Hooking up at Holly's on Rte. 50 just east of the Bridge for breakfast, then we're off follow a route laid out by another fella from MD. Looking forward to it.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #21479
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
So I managed to get back out to those local power lines and have some "fun" today! I'll post a video later.

http://imgur.com/a/NsUNS

bastardbiker screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 04:22 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #21480
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,987
The joys of buying or working on a used bike

Okay, let me vent. I'm sure you all have been there too.

I love Hugh Laurie on House. He's a brilliant curmudgeon doctor who HATES patients. Won't talk to them during diagnosis. Why? Because they all lie.

Same when buying a bike, or sometimes when working on one for someone else. NEVER trust the DPO. (dreaded previous owner) Here are some of the ones I hear all the time when I go to buy a bike:

1) It was running when I parked it last fall.
2) It's only been in storage for 1 or 2 years (and the last inspection on it is 1986)
3) There's nothing wrong with it that I know of
4) I always drain the carbs when I park it for the winter.
5) Just clean the carbs and get a battery and it should start right up
6) I'm just selling it for a friend so I don't know anything about it
7) It's never been down that I know of
8) I've never worked on it so it must be all stock
9) It's had all its services by factor mechanics (but no proof thereof)

Feel free to jump in here and offer the best lines you've had told to you.

So I don't really listen to sellers anymore. I look at their garage (tells you a lot about how they treat things). I check the title to make sure the VIN is correct. I do a visual on all external parts to see how many times it has hit the ground. I sometime take my own battery and jumper cables to test electrics (especially if it isn't a running bike).

But most importantly,I ALWAYS take a compression tester and have researched what the compression should be for that bike. That will tell you more about the health of an engine than anything else. And it provides hard proof that you can argue with the owner about on his price. You can't hide valve issues, or burnt rings, or a sadly worn engine from the compression tester. And if the bike doesn't have a kickstarter, bringing that battery and cables lets you at least spin it over to do the compression test.

Okay, Vent off. Carry on. Feel free to add your own words of wisdom.

Guy?

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote