ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #21661
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Sure had a great time tonight hanging out at that special place, I can't give details or I'd have to kill you or my self I'm not sure it was likely my swan song in Richmond as I'm headed for wide open spaces out west if all goes well 3/26.......
I've kept it a secret because its not 100% till I sign the documents....sell my house, pack my sh*t etc etc etc...but things are rapidly headed in that direction....
I hate to see you go, but good luck to you my friend. We did have some times that should have gone unphotographed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #21662
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Finally...

I finally got to give my YZ426F a proper thrashing. Got the suspension done at Factory Connection and I've never ridden anything like it. I wish I was 25 years younger so I could really test its limits.
Anyway, I hit the training grounds and it was wet (no surprise) and I had a ball. Saw a pick-up that appeared to have unloaded an ATV but I never did see anyone.

That puddle behind the bike was up to the top of the rear wheel and I stalled in the middle of it. It's a kick start so I dragged it out sideways, took a break and this pic. This area is in between Powhite east and west.
I then took Forest Hill to Huguenot to Old Gun then Robious to the area on this map.

View
Off Robious in a larger map">
View
Off Robious in a larger map
Does anyone know anything about this area? I was trying to get from the Huguenot Springs Cemetary area down to Manakintown Ferry Rd near Rte 60 but was confronted with an intimidating stream crossing and didn't want to attempt it solo. This area has a lot of promise and the point I entered had no gate or No Trespassing signs. I'm definitely going to check this out when things dry out a bit. If I can get from Robious down to 60, perhaps we could come up with a "Trans Metro Richmond Trail"!!!

Things are definitely looking crappy for this weekend but let's cross our fingers for 2 weeks from now.

Dr WhipIt screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 08:03 PM
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #21663
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 957
Weekend rides

DrWhipit .... Im glad you got the YZ back together and out on the trail. If you want to go back over there let me know. Id love to join you. Im hoping most of the weather will bypass us for the weekend.

If anyone else is interested in a longer ride I may be up for that as well. I have a feeling we will be able to ride around any significant weather.

Michhub .... we are going to miss you if and when you leave town. If there is anything we can do just let us know. Sorry we missed you last night. Didn't get back into town until after midnight.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #21664
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I finally got to give my YZ426F a proper thrashing. Got the suspension done at Factory Connection and I've never ridden anything like it. I wish I was 25 years younger so I could really test its limits.
Anyway, I hit the training grounds and it was wet (no surprise) and I had a ball. Saw a pick-up that appeared to have unloaded an ATV but I never did see anyone.

That puddle behind the bike was up to the top of the rear wheel and I stalled in the middle of it. It's a kick start so I dragged it out sideways, took a break and this pic. This area is in between Powhite east and west.
I then took Forest Hill to Huguenot to Old Gun then Robious to the area on this map.
G

View
Off Robious in a larger map">
View
Off Robious in a larger map
Does anyone know anything about this area? I was trying to get from the Huguenot Springs Cemetary area down to Manakintown Ferry Rd near Rte 60 but was confronted with an intimidating stream crossing and didn't want to attempt it solo. This area has a lot of promise and the point I entered had no gate or No Trespassing signs. I'm definitely going to check this out when things dry out a bit. If I can get from Robious down to 60, perhaps we could come up with a "Trans Metro Richmond Trail"!!!

Things are definitely looking crappy for this weekend but let's cross our fingers for 2 weeks from now.
I know exactly where that is. Let's ride it together!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #21665
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,706
[QUOTE=skychs;20956304][QUOTE]
Quote:
Well .... I may be wrong but Im guessing, if Guy put a new tire on for you it wasn't a car tire. I meant to send you a photo but I was out of town and couldn't get one uploaded.

photo DSCN9219_2_zps024edc8b.jpg

can't do that it'd screw up my fun in the twisties

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #21666
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,271
Pw50

FYI, if you know anyone who needs a PW50.

SOLD!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 11:40 AM Reason: Sold
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #21667
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Skychs, Burtonrider...I wouldn't try that today. Yesterday there was at least 50 yards of water to cross and I really couldn't see what lay on the other side. When you zoom in on that creek area on Google it looks like a nice gravel road. It's nothing like that. It does look well traveled though.
I'm probably going to stay away from dirt/mud today. If it doesn't dry up by noon, I may just give my back the break it's been begging for.
At least I have some Percocet left over from my last ER visit!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #21668
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Is anyone riding anywhere today, on road or otherwise? It looks like I'm going to be able to make today a half-day at work and get out of here at 1pm.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #21669
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,271
I need help landscaping today and tomorrow. Earn some extra beer money!

$12/hr fair?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #21670
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Thanks for all the Battery recommendations for the GS. Shorai is a bit expensive at 180 clams. Looks like a great battery though. I found an Odessey PC535 for 118 shipping included and will go with that for now.

cheers,

jh
There is a Battery outlet store down in Colonial hts, right off the expressway, can't recall the actual name, but google it. Might be called "batteries plus"?

They keep various Odessey batteries IN STOCK, surprisingly, I purchased one a few years back and it was fresh, and lower priced than any online dealer....
as for those Shorai LiPo batts, I suggest shunning the urge to be "techno-guinea-pig", they have been put through some abusive tests by my fellow COG members since they came out (and COG folks can't resist $$ farkles...) many have failed, and been replaced, and failed again...
they have'nt gotten the reliability factor on them up to par yet. Problems are cold start issues, and internal faults within the package. I'd give them another couple years to sort the problems out before popping out $200.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #21671
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Is anyone riding anywhere today, on road or otherwise? It looks like I'm going to be able to make today a half-day at work and get out of here at 1pm.
I'm looking to get out of the house, i'm open to going anywhere. If you have an idea, let it be known and ill join you. Only places i can think of are parks and whatnot.
Only thing i have to do today is stop by the brook road Walmart near parham for a few minutes.

SanK screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 09:47 AM
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #21672
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Another thumbs up for Odyssey

I installed an Odyssey PC545 in my KLR about 10 years ago shortly after I got it. I've never kept it on a “Tender” and the bike usually sits out for weeks in end in the elements – hot and cold. It has worked flawlessly up until our Ice Ride a few weeks ago. Even after sitting out in the wind and (really) cold weather over night, the bike fired up the next morning when others didn't. During the day, we were constantly starting and stopping for photo ops, lunch, etc., and after the last stop the bike wouldn't crank fast enough to fire. Thankfully, the bike's ignition uses a magneto and doesn't rely on battery power to run, so I bump-started it.

In the battery's defense, I was using heated gear (mostly cranked high – ~7.5 amps)) all day long and I also found after the bump start that I had managed to inadvertently flip the headlight on HIGH beam which is where it was probably running most of the day. I've got an 80/100 watt bulb in the bike, and that baby draws some current (~7 amps). Stock KLR charging system is good for approx. 17 amps when running at speed. Considering the total parasitic loading of the bike and the heated gear, I think the “old” battery did pretty good.

I probably jumped the gun, but as a precaution I went ahead and ordered a new one from Battery Mart up in Winchester, VA. Free shipping and I had it in a day.... $112 out the door. The local Batteries Plus (Midlo Turnpike) wanted $144, and that didn't include VA Sales Tax.

I've used both a lot, with the edge probably with Battery Mart. Never had an issue.

Since I have it, I'll probably stick it in the KLR and use the old one for my generator. Even tho' it always fires up on the first pull of the rope starter, it does have battery start capability which I've never used.

So yes, big thumbs-up for the Odyssey batteries.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #21673
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Video for Hard Core Off Road Riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=e4G7SZE5AOU

Watch, get your fix and marvel.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #21674
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I'm going to go head out and get that little bit of work done, i should be done in 40 mins or so, I'll send a PM with my #, call if you want to meet up somewhere. Ill be near parham and brook rd.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #21675
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Well fook! Make that double-fook!

Since I'll be tied up the rest of week working on other's bikes, figured I'd give my own a once-over prior to heading out next Saturday for the Crab Cakes Ride up in North East, MD.

Checking the rear tire, I found this:

It appears I've run over some glass at some point and it became deeply embedded in the tread. Judging from the surrounding area, it's been in there awhile. Have not lost any pressure, so it hasn't broken all the way through yet.

No way in Hades am I heading out on a road trip with a tire like that. I was really hoping these tires would also make it to and from our Spring Fling Rally up in PA in May. Not to be. Dammit Jim!

Sheet!

Fortunately, I've got tires in the wings so look like a portion of this day will have me changing out the rear tire. NOT, what I wanted to be doing.