ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #21736
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice?
Jeff, I have a SPOT 2, new in the box. It's the nice one where you can send text messages from your smart phone via satellite from anywhere on the globe to anywhere on the globe. I bought it when I was planning a solo trip last year but then decided on the going to Sedalia with Greg and Chuck. Lynn asked that I buy one so she could sleep at night. I kept it as I was planning on doing the Trans-Lab or some other shorter ride this year. You are welcome to use it. Unfortunately the shortest time you can activate it for a year ($99, still not a bad price for a 6 week trip considering the peace of mind you would have.)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #21737
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I use a SPOT for that reason. Sometimes by the time I get to a campsite I don't have service. Liza can see where I am and I tell her about where I'll be camping so she can keep tabs on me. It's nice to not have to worry about calling.
Right now I have my cellphone set up that when it receives a text message with a secret word , it will automatically send a text back with my location. Either GPS or closest cell tower.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #21738
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff, I have a SPOT 2, new in the box. It's the nice one where you can send text messages from your smart phone via satellite from anywhere on the globe to anywhere on the globe. I bought it when I was planning a solo trip last year but then decided on the going to Sedalia with Greg and Chuck. Lynn asked that I buy one so she could sleep at night. I kept it as I was planning on doing the Trans-Lab or some other shorter ride this year. You are welcome to use it. Unfortunately the shortest time you can activate it for a year ($99, still not a bad price for a 6 week trip considering the peace of mind you would have.)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Thanks Eddy. We need to get together. I'd be happy to pay for a year of SPOT registration in return for the loan of it for 2 months. That is very kind of you. I've never felt the need for one, but since this is an epic event for Joe (and his parents), it might be a prudent way of keeping them calm, without the bother of cell phones. I think I just may take you up on the offer. Thanks man.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #21739
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
So I think me and my cousin are going to go out riding Friday. I believe we may check out the dirt roads out near Cartersville. If anyone is interested let me know, and I will keep you updated on the details.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #21740
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Right now I have my cellphone set up that when it receives a text message with a secret word , it will automatically send a text back with my location. Either GPS or closest cell tower.
I was not aware of that feature. What phone / which carrier? I'd love to set that sort of thing up for trips not off-grid.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #21741
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I was not aware of that feature. What phone / which carrier? I'd love to set that sort of thing up for trips not off-grid.
It's an android app called "automate it." Let's you set up lots of automatic functions like turning on the phones wifi when you get home or setting the volume to 80% when you connect to bluetooth and other stuff like that. You can set up an automatic response to text messages. Pretty handy app.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #21742
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I've never considered using one, but that video of "where the F#ck is the bike" got me rattled. For the TAT this summer, I might consider it for Joe and I. That way his family could track our progress too.

Anyone here use one, and could offer me some advice? You can email me or PM me to keep it out of the way of the food discussions......

jeff
You can have mine too. My buddy at llbean gave it to me when they had a boat promo. " Buy a boat and get a spot". Lots of customers left the spot behind.. You want it you can have it.

I see Eddy offered too. Good if someone else in your party needs one..

bloochdog screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:37 PM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #21743
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 957
Friday

Quote:
burtonrider3889 So I think me and my cousin are going to go out riding Friday. I believe we may check out the dirt roads out near Cartersville. If anyone is interested let me know, and I will keep you updated on the details.
What time are you planning on departing? If its not too early I may be able to join you.
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #21744
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
This feature is surprisingly..... awesome.
Turns out my phone has that app too, ill have to play around with it some.
I just wish it had been possible on my old phone, 6 days of continuous battery use without a charge was convenient.
I generally keep triangulation and GPS features off but this could definitely be interesting.....
Just to point out, you could plan a legitimate game of tag on motorcycles with this app: only downside is android only, severely limiting number of players.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #21745
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Pinlock and RTE

I'm another pinlock user. UpSt8 recommended it while on the Brrr ride a few years ago. It's pretty amazing. Now I just need pinlock for my glasses/sunglasses... That would be cool and awesomely dorky looking. I guess I could try the potato idea. I've heard that it can cause blindness and hairy palms though..

RTE Friday? If suggestions are needed, I like Thai Flavour in the Innsbrook area. Best (and hottest) basil rice I've ever had.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #21746
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
What time are you planning on departing? If its not too early I may be able to join you.
I was originally planning for the morning, but after talking to the wife it will probably be around 12:30.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #21747
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Hey ... who's doing the Spring Fling? Looks like the wife is out of town that weekend, so I get a kitchen pass without asking for one. :-)

And realizing the firestorm I'm about to spark ... hotel or kamping? (If you can consider a KOA to be camping).

Just wanna make plans.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #21748
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Hey ... who's doing the Spring Fling? Looks like the wife is out of town that weekend, so I get a kitchen pass without asking for one. :-)

And realizing the firestorm I'm about to spark ... hotel or kamping? (If you can consider a KOA to be camping).

Just wanna make plans.

Do you mean Laurel Forks, or the Richmond Local spring fling?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #21749
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Do you mean Laurel Forks, or the Richmond Local spring fling?
Morton's Spring Fling at Natural Bridge. May 17-19. I just registered. (And for the record, am staying at the hotel proper. Just can't do KOAs. It's like sleeping in the median of an interstate.)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #21750
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Morton's Spring Fling at Natural Bridge. May 17-19. I just registered. (And for the record, am staying at the hotel proper. Just can't do KOAs. It's like sleeping in the median of an interstate.)
Actually, FWIW the meadow at NB KOA is pretty peaceful. (I'm generally very much anti-KOA, Yogi Bear, Good Sam, etc...)

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote