ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #21856
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Time for a new battery for the FJR, anyone have a good source?
I often use Battery Mart up in Winchester. Might also use your local Batteries Plus.

I've used both.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #21857
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 202
Thumbs Up on Battery Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I often use Battery Mart up in Winchester. Might also use your local Batteries Plus.

I've used both.

I have used them a couple of times for batteries and I have received them the next day with free shipping.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #21858
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 202
Custom Ear Plugs

I have set up an appointment on Thursday at lunch to get a set of custom ear plugs made. It looks like we will be meeting near Chippenham and Midlothian Turnpike. I got a price of $60. I might be able to get that down if others are interested.

I had a pair that met an unfortunate demise. They seem to block noise about as good as the foam ones when they are put in right but I find them much more comfortable especially if I wear them for the whole day.

Easier then hitting the motorcycle show and you don't have to pay admission.

If anybody is interested let me know.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #21859
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Car body/paint shop recommendation?

On Saturday I returned home to Virginia after being away for a week for business. Around 9:30pm my car was greeted by a hefty rock that was thrown by some teenagers who quickly scattered and disappeared.

I called the cops and they talked to some kids nearby who "didn't see anything."

The good news is that the rock didn't hit the passenger window where my 10 year old son was sitting. The bad news is that it left a nasty dent and tore through the paint and primer.

I'm on the fence on whether or not to report it to my insurance company. I haven't even called them yet.

Is there a paint/body shop that somebody might recommend? I live in Chester, so I'd prefer somewhere south of Richmond.

Thanks in advance!
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #21860
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Had a great time riding up to North East, MD for the COG Crab Cakes Ride with Guy. The Elk Neck State Park up there is really nice. It was cold Saturday night. The campfire helped though. The only glitch was my CLUTCH decided to Burn UP 5 minutes after we departed for home on Sunday. It was blue smoke and toast time for the clutch. Many thanks to Guy who waited with me to load up the bike on the trailer provided by Al and Jackie General . Those fantastic COG folks got me two hours closer to home on US Rt. 301 just east of the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge at the Potomac River in Newburg, MD where my wife and two boys met us with our trailer to haul the bike the rest of the way back to Richmond and Guy's Garage for service. They don't call 'em adventures for nothing.
Greg, that sucks sorry to hear that.........
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #21861
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
Is there a paint/body shop that somebody might recommend? I live in Chester, so I'd prefer somewhere south of Richmond.

Thanks in advance!

A friend of a friend recommended these folks in Petersburg to me recently..
http://raz16.com/smartfix/smartfixhome.html

I haven't used them yet, but am planning to have them fix a rust spot.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #21862
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506

We've had good results from Whitten Brothers body shop. They fixed a similar dent on our car for $300. Make sure you tell them it's coming out of your pocket.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #21863
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
These two videos were taken at Mike Barr's farm just west of town. We had a great time sloshing through the mud and leaves, chasing him and his son around. In the second video Mike misses the groove going up the shorter hill and takes a tumble. You can tell how steep the hill is by how fast he rolled down the hill. I love my new Hero 3. The video was shot at 720 HD at 60fpm.

Nice videos Skychs!

Quote:
On Saturday I returned home to Virginia after being away for a week for business. Around 9:30pm my car was greeted by a hefty rock that was thrown by some teenagers who quickly scattered and disappeared.

I called the cops and they talked to some kids nearby who "didn't see anything."

The good news is that the rock didn't hit the passenger window where my 10 year old son was sitting. The bad news is that it left a nasty dent and tore through the paint and primer.

I'm on the fence on whether or not to report it to my insurance company. I haven't even called them yet.

Thanks in advance!
I HIGHLY recommend To a T Bodyworks in Powhatan. Talk to Thomas. Super nice guy. VERY nice shop.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #21864
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
The only glitch was my CLUTCH decided to Burn UP 5 minutes after we departed for home on Sunday.
Greg, man that sucks...The fear of a dead clutch resulting in needing to split a GS literally in half and a dead FD are two reasons I ditched my 1200. The risk of the servo brakes on the '05 failing also kept me paranoid about a $2500+ repair. Not like the 800 is bulletproof! The F800GS thread can make one want to give up on bikes! At least I have two and a half years left on the warranty, she'll belong to someone else by then!

Quote:
We had a great time sloshing through the mud and leaves, chasing him and his son around.
Warning to everyone...If you ride with Chuck and crash, EVERYONE will know about it! His GoPro is like kryptonite for riding skills! LOL! I can't wait to get out and ride with you all, I have been spending my weekends either doing yardwork or riding the MX track.

Quote:
my car was greeted by a hefty rock that was thrown by some teenagers who quickly scattered and disappeared.
YIKES Mitch, that's scary! A couple of years ago, I had some minor crash damage repaired on my truck at the Chester Body Shop at the corner of Chester Rd/Centraila. Others may have had good experiences there but I won't go back. My truck had to stay for more work as I refused to take it home due to very sloppy over spray, drips, and runs. Your results may vary...

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 11:37 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #21865
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Hello all. Looks like it will still be a few weeks before I ride. Drove for the first time post eyeball roasting today. I can see, just not as good as I want yet. I was told that I am seeing about 20/40 which is legal for driving. Let me tell you if this is above the legal limit, there are some bind MFers driving around. No night driving for a couple weeks either. Each day is better though. Saturday, I couldn't open my eyes. Yesterday I could for about 10 minutes at a time. Today I am able to function at work. I cranked up the font sizes for all my computer monitors though. At least the weather is still crappy out so I won't miss but so much of the good riding weather while my eyeballs de-roast.

To sum it up,
  • if you see a silver 2010 jetta TDI, stay away.
  • PRK has longer recovery time than Lasik.
  • You can smell burnt eyeball during the procedure.
  • You don't feel it though.
  • So far an interesting and good overall experience.
  • Valium must be good stuff because normally I would of freaked out.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #21866
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Not Bluegrass but a great band nonetheless and responsible for a surge in interest in the Banjo as an isntrument instead of a torture device.

Anyone on the Richmond chatter play bluegrass?? Or attempt to play as I do? If so we should Ride to Jam.....
The Avetts and Trampled by Turtles generated enough interest in my daughter to buy a mandolin.

I don't play anything but I'm good at holding a beer and listening. It would be cool if you talented people planned some kind of jam at a camp out.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #21867
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Today I am able to function at work. I cranked up the font sizes for all my computer monitors though.
My doctor told me that PRK recovery took longer and it was an option if they had a hard time getting to my deep-set eyes, but the results were often better.

Be *patient* with your recovery time. My vision improved for weeks after my surgery. My eyes were also dry while the nerves repaired. I have no problems now (dry eyes or halos).

I think I have some unopened Restasis vials - you're welcome to have them if that's what you were prescribed. Those eyedrops were expensive stuff!

I never think about my vision or fogged glasses when I ride now. It's nice!

Good luck!
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #21868
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
Had a great time riding up to North East, MD for the COG Crab Cakes Ride with Guy. The Elk Neck State Park up there is really nice. It was cold Saturday night. The campfire helped though. The only glitch was my CLUTCH decided to Burn UP 5 minutes after we departed for home on Sunday. It was blue smoke and toast time for the clutch. Many thanks to Guy who waited with me to load up the bike on the trailer provided by Al and Jackie General . Those fantastic COG folks got me two hours closer to home on US Rt. 301 just east of the Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge at the Potomac River in Newburg, MD where my wife and two boys met us with our trailer to haul the bike the rest of the way back to Richmond and Guy's Garage for service. They don't call 'em adventures for nothing.

sorry to hear about the clutch, you only need one when you stop
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #21869
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
These two videos were taken at Mike Barr's farm just west of town. We had a great time sloshing through the mud and leaves, chasing him and his son around. In the second video Mike misses the groove going up the shorter hill and takes a tumble. You can tell how steep the hill is by how fast he rolled down the hill. I love my new Hero 3. The video was shot at 720 HD at 60fpm.

neat shot, get that kid up on the pegs and using his legs. more control
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #21870
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Hello all. Looks like it will still be a few weeks before I ride. Drove for the first time post eyeball roasting today. I can see, just not as good as I want yet. I was told that I am seeing about 20/40 which is legal for driving. Let me tell you if this is above the legal limit, there are some bind MFers driving around. No night driving for a couple weeks either. Each day is better though. Saturday, I couldn't open my eyes. Yesterday I could for about 10 minutes at a time. Today I am able to function at work. I cranked up the font sizes for all my computer monitors though. At least the weather is still crappy out so I won't miss but so much of the good riding weather while my eyeballs de-roast.

To sum it up,
  • if you see a silver 2010 jetta TDI, stay away.
  • PRK has longer recovery time than Lasik.
  • You can smell burnt eyeball during the procedure.
  • You don't feel it though.
  • So far an interesting and good overall experience.
  • Valium must be good stuff because normally I would of freaked out.
Best of luck on the recovery, I had PRK done in '06. Took about 90 days to get back to 100%. Follow the drop regimen to the LETTER!! I actually saw smoke coming off of my eyes, scary to say the least.

I was 20/650 in both eyes with astigmatisms as well, came out 20/15 when it was all said and done. Wore glasses for 28 years, was nice to get rid of them.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote