ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #21946
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Eddy
Now this is the bike I would like to have. Problem is, I dont think they make them anymore. If you find one of these let me know.

You don't want this bike...Too much maintenance (COMPLETE ENGINE REBUILD EVERY 70 HOURS!), VERY limited aftermarket unless you're okay paying stupid Touratech prices, limited market, hard to get parts if you break down in (insert place), and limited resale market. It's NOT a semi-collectable like a HP2. The "R" bike guys could care less about it and the KTM/Japanese crowd don't give a crap about it either. If the DRZ400 is too small for you, buy a XR650L Honda and splurge on suspension. If you don't mind more maintenance, higer costs and limited dealer network, buy KTM 500 EXC.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:13 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #21947
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
...Dan, Id like to join you on Monday. Local or are you RTR? (riding to ride) GS or DRZ?...
Just looking to get out and I'm open to suggestions, but I had some ideas.

I was thinking of heading west ( right? ) along the south side of the river and check our those dirt roads again, cartersville - Scottsville.. maybe out to Howardsville, cross the river to Schuyler and follow the river west on the north side and just explore the turnoffs.

or take a simialr route out with less exploring towards big island and try to find the way to Lynchburg resevoir from the south which I've never done.. North on Panther Falls. Gates start opening Monday so might find some other FS roads to try.

or whatever you got..
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #21948
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
the DRZ400 is too SLOW for you, buy a fuel injected WR450f and get it plated.
more fun.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #21949
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Yum!

RTI (Ride To Indian)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #21950
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
RTR Mnday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I was thinking of heading west ( right? ) along the south side of the river and check our those dirt roads again, cartersville - Scottsville.. maybe out to Howardsville, cross the river to Schuyler and follow the river west on the north side and just explore the turnoffs.

or take a simialr route out with less exploring towards big island and try to find the way to Lynchburg resevoir from the south which I've never done.. North on Panther Falls. Gates start opening Monday so might find some other FS roads to try.

or whatever you got..
I might just join you and take my XR650L out for its maiden ride. Can't believe I've had it almost 2 months and haven't ridden it yet. Boy I sure would hate to get it dirty.....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #21951
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I might just join you and take my XR650L out for its maiden ride. Can't believe I've had it almost 2 months and haven't ridden it yet. Boy I sure would hate to get it dirty.....

jeff
MAIDEN VOYAGE!? Maybe I should play hookey then. Stinks because I know I can't go.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #21952
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:

or whatever you got..
When is this?

Aaah. Monday.

pplassm screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 03:25 PM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #21953
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Rtr

Quote:

or whatever you got.
Sounds good Dan. Mark said he would like to go as well. Looks like I will be taking the 12GS. Time and location for departure?

Quote:
jeff
Jeff .... it would be a pleasure to help break in the XR650L. Lets get it dirty.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #21954
skychs
chuck smith

Drz

Well ...... today I installed the 14 tooth front sprocket on the DRZ400. I expected the job to be a PITA but the 30mm nut came right off and the job was done in 15 min.

When I took it out for a test ride the first thing I noticed was how easy the front wheel popped off the ground just by twisting the throttle. It seemed to have just a little more pep in all the gears but overall that was the only thing I noticed. Even at 60 mph it really didn't seem any different.

So .... so far so good. I think Im going to enjoy the extra torque.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #21955
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Sounds good Dan. Mark said he would like to go as well. Looks like I will be taking the 12GS. Time and location for departure?

Jeff .... it would be a pleasure to help break in the XR650L. Lets get it dirty.
Pete, we're talking about this Monday, you in?

Chuck, how bout the BP at Genito and Old Hundred say 8:30? We can Genito out to that dirt road, folkes bridge?, to 13 to Cumberland and 60 on out to reservoir from there? I'm sick of rt 60 but it goes straight there.

If that's not cool with you, then your pick.

If there's enough daylight after Panther Falls we can TAT-test Jeff's new XR-L on shoe creek!

ddlewis screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 04:48 PM
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #21956
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:

Chuck, how bout the BP at Genito and Old Hundred say 8:30? We can Genito out to that dirt road, folkes bridge?, to 13 to Cumberland and 60 on out to reservoir from there? I'm sick of rt 60 but it goes straight there.

If there's enough daylight after Panther Falls we can TAT-test Jeff's new XR-L on shoe creek!
Dan: I'd have to call in sick. I can't read this site at work anymore, and it's hard to keep up!

You guys have fun. I may explore this weekend, if the weather holds.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #21957
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:

I'm in. Got to learn how to ride it sometime. But I'll be on a thumper with knobbies, so y'all will have to slow it down a bit for me.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #21958
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Yo! I'm in for this one! Got a new tube in the front to replace the one I punctured and it's holding solid. Got a few hundred more miles to chew off this other tire before my cheap ass can justify swapping it out for the other 244 I have waiting in the wings. I have the day off and you can't argue with those temps.

See you guys there, I hope we can get a good group going. I'll bring my camera to capture any potential carnage

Hey Pete... call in sick!

Quote:

Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #21959
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:

IN!!!
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #21960
skychs
chuck smith

Quote:
toddzacker
IN!!!
Oh Boy ..... Now its going to get interesting. Should I bring the GoPro?

Quote:
bastardbiker
See you guys there, I hope we can get a good group going. I'll bring my camera to capture any potential carnage
Welcome to Carnage. Bring the GoPro!