ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #21961
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Welcome to Carnage. Bring the GoPro!
Turnabout is fair play. I have a GoPro too. I call dibs on riding immediately behind Chuck.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #21962
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Saturday Ride

Nicole and I are going out for a nice leisure ride today if anyone ones to go or meet for a RTE. She wants to do some easy dirt roads, but no Mud Road or anything like that. We were thinking King and Queen/West point area, but if anyone has a better idea or suggestions hit me up.

We are looking at leaving around 12-1 out of Williamsburg. Let us know your thoughts.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #21963
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Monday Ride

I think this is going to be a good one. I bet we might be able to get Moses out for this one if he doesn't brake his leg skiing this weekend.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #21964
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
wow, looks like a nice turnout. You'd think we had been cooped up all winter waiting for a decent day or something..

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #21965
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
2012 R1200gsa surging

I have noticed the last two weeks that my 2012 GSA is surging on idle. 2 seconds it runs fine... 1/2 second it bogs down.... repeat.

I am also noticing the same sorta feeling while riding and it manifest itself as a seemingly cutout every couple seconds at at rpm upto 5k. It seems like the bike is not igniting about 1/2 second every 3ish seconds at highway speed.....

?
any ideas what it may be...

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #21966
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
I have noticed the last two weeks that my 2012 GSA is surging on idle. 2 seconds it runs fine... 1/2 second it bogs down.... repeat.

I am also noticing the same sorta feeling while riding and it manifest itself as a seemingly cutout every couple seconds at at rpm upto 5k. It seems like the bike is not igniting about 1/2 second every 3ish seconds at highway speed.....

?
Pull the plugs and tell us what they look like.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #21967
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:

?
Pour a full bottle of IsoHeet (yellow bottle) in the fuel tank and fill it. Then go ride till the tank is empty.....
It binds moisture up on the molecular level, and allows it to be burned.

And also what Guy said.... check the plugs...fouling and whitish deposits on them will tell there was moisture.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #21968
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Pour a full bottle of IsoHeet (yellow bottle) in the fuel tank and fill it. Then go ride till the tank is empty.....

And also what Guy said.... check the plugs...fouling and whitish deposits on them will tell there was moisture.
I'll go pull the plugs ... the two I know how to anyway ;) .. those secondary plugs I still have to figure out but I suspect the two main plugs should mirror the two secondary plugs....

I'll take a pic and post.. back in an hour or two.

Smiles,
Karl
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #21969
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:

?
I had something similar happen when after filling up with gas the first mile or so the bike would lose power and then surge a bit. I tried not filling the tank up all the way and that fixed it. Something about the charcoal filter getting saturated...or something.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #21970
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I had something similar happen when after filling up with gas the first mile or so the bike would lose power and then surge a bit. I tried not filling the tank up all the way and that fixed it. Something about the charcoal filter getting saturated...or something.
Some of the CA Connies had a similar issue. Had to pull the canister, allow it to drain and dry, then reinstall. Might be as "simple" as that.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #21971
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Spark plugs pic...

are these consistent with a spot of water in the gas?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...CPHB75qA8eC3FA

Smiles,
Karl
Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #21972
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Anyone we know?

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #21973
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Laugh Not ADV, But Still For Sale

Just listed my Enfield on CL. Pass it along to anyone you may know who is looking for a non-dirt bike. Say a wife, friend, son, daughter, minister, co-worker, gardener, etc.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3713219881.html

OK boys and girls --- here it is. Your next/first bike. A 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic! And no, this isn't what you think you know. What you have here is classic styling with modern technology. Gone are the carbs. This one is fuel injected. And all of the old comments of "fun, but needs lots of maintenance" are also long gone. This is the redesigned UCE engine. Practically bulletproof. Still fun though.

It's a 500cc thumper. Rides great. Handles great. Looks even greater. LOL!

OK, let's go to the question and answer period:

Q: How many miles does it have?
A: A skoosh over 2000. Still brand new.

Q: Why are you selling it?
A: Because I don't need it anymore. I took this in on a trade (from a dirt bike), and while I like it, I just don't use it. My riding style is primarily touring, and of all the things this does well, touring isn't one of them.

Q: I'm short, will this fit me?
A: Yes, and this is your lucky day. The previous owner was also vertically challenged. So I have lowering shocks, a shaved/lowered seat, and lowered seat springs in the garage --- which will put this thing down low enough for five footers.

Q: I'm not short.
A: That's a question? Well, in any case, neither am I. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs --- and I fit just fine. My wife even thinks I look better sitting on it than my Concours. Then again, she doesn't ride. ;-)

Q: Will you take trades?
A: Perhaps. But only if you have something equally as fun, interesting, or unusual.

Q: How flexible are you on price?
A: Somewhat. That price is based on KBB. It's what the bike is worth. But if I like you, a deal can always be made.

Q: What's with the seat?
A; Ah, the seat. What you see in the photos isn't the seat that's on the bike. I tried (unsuccessfully) to recover it with brown leather. I failed. So I bought a dark brown springer seat, which is currently on the bike. But that seat (in it's original black vinyl) will come with the bike as well.

Q: What do they call that license plate thingy?
A: A pedestrian slicer. Not that it makes any difference in the sale, but I wanted to get that phrase in here.

Q: What's the best thing about this bike?
A: Wow, thanks for asking. I didn't expect such a softball question. The best thing, beside being a hoot to ride, are the comments. And you will get them. No one will believe the bike is a 2011. I've had people roll down their windows and shout out compliments at 50mph. This bike WILL get noticed.

All joking aside, this is essentially a brand new bike. It's just broken in. Garage kept and babied. Rides and looks great. New, they list for $6,495. So if you want a "new" bike for sixteen hundred less ... well, this is it. I won't go into the used car speech about how it's both a great starter bike and also a great bike for experienced riders (oops, guess I just did), but it is all that. If most of my riding was local, this would be the bike I keep. It's great in the city. But my riding isn't local, so off she needs to go.

OK, last thoughts. I hate CL scammers. I don't want to deal with your "agent". I won't entertain emails that obviously came from a robot. If you see the ad, the bike is still waiting for you. It's in the Northside, in Ginter Park. And no, test rides aren't allowed. Unless I either know and trust you (two separate things, BTW), or you plunk down a deposit before you skedaddle off. Say, $4900. So hurry on by, supplies are limited. And since today is currently 62 degrees, I assume this will be gone soon. It's RIDING TIME!

- Rick Higgins
4200 seminary avenue (google map) (yahoo map)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #21974
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post

Filled it up and put the heat stuff in it... running fine now. Must have been a bad tank of gas.

Thanks for the input!

Smiles,
Karl
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #21975
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Okay, here's a new one

So I roll out the XRL today to go for a ride with my nephew. Checked tire pressures, oil, gas, etc. It is out in the sun for the first time since I brought it back from NJ. Looking forward to the ride!

Then we notice the rear tire. An IRC full knobby. But with MAJOR issues. Every other knob around each side of the rear tire is about to tear off. Never have I seen anything like it.

Crap. No riding on that. Called Burcham's and they don't have any DS tires in stock. Damn.

Fortunately I had a left over Death Wing that I had taken off someone else's bike and kept. So we had fun taking the IRC off and putting the Trail Wing on.

Did manage to get a nice 100 mile loop in with Joe. It was his virgin road ride. Just completed the MSF course last week. Did River Road out to Amelia Courthouse. Then came back thru Mannboro and back to Ettrick. What a beautiful day to ride.

Guy, we stopped by and said Hi to Connor. They seem to be doing a lot of work to that place now.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote