ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #21976
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
So I roll out the XRL today to go for a ride with my nephew. Checked tire pressures, oil, gas, etc. It is out in the sun for the first time since I brought it back from NJ. Looking forward to the ride!

Then we notice the rear tire. An IRC full knobby. But with MAJOR issues. Every other knob around each side of the rear tire is about to tear off. Never have I seen anything like it.

Crap. No riding on that. Called Burcham's and they don't have any DS tires in stock. Damn.

Fortunately I had a left over Death Wing that I had taken off someone else's bike and kept. So we had fun taking the IRC off and putting the Trail Wing on.

Did manage to get a nice 100 mile loop in with Joe. It was his virgin road ride. Just completed the MSF course last week. Did River Road out to Amelia Courthouse. Then came back thru Mannboro and back to Ettrick. What a beautiful day to ride.

Guy, we stopped by and said Hi to Connor. They seem to be doing a lot of work to that place now.

jeff
Heh. That's an OLD tire.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #21977
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
So I roll out the XRL today to go for a ride with my nephew. Checked tire pressures, oil, gas, etc. It is out in the sun for the first time since I brought it back from NJ. Looking forward to the ride!

Then we notice the rear tire. An IRC full knobby. But with MAJOR issues. Every other knob around each side of the rear tire is about to tear off. Never have I seen anything like it.

Crap. No riding on that. Called Burcham's and they don't have any DS tires in stock. Damn.

Fortunately I had a left over Death Wing that I had taken off someone else's bike and kept. So we had fun taking the IRC off and putting the Trail Wing on.

Did manage to get a nice 100 mile loop in with Joe. It was his virgin road ride. Just completed the MSF course last week. Did River Road out to Amelia Courthouse. Then came back thru Mannboro and back to Ettrick. What a beautiful day to ride.

Guy, we stopped by and said Hi to Connor. They seem to be doing a lot of work to that place now.

jeff
Screw Burchams. Give Street Rockets of VA a call in Chester. Great pricing and he will have you something next day for no extra charge. Owners name is Matt I believe.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #21978
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Old tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Heh. That's an OLD tire.
The bike is a 2008, and this replaced the stock tire. The bike only has 3600 miles on it, and has been garaged it entire life. Less...... he had this "old" tire in his garage, ad put it on to replace the stock Trail Wing?

Could it have been from running it underinflated? Overinflated? I'm just gob-smacked at how bad it is, and how uniform it is all the way around.

Anyway, I'm going to have to survive the Monday ride on an old hard Trail Wing. Hope they don't go too fast, and that there isn't any mud/dirt/water/sand.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #21979
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
The bike is a 2008, and this replaced the stock tire. The bike only has 3600 miles on it, and has been garaged it entire life. Less...... he had this "old" tire in his garage, ad put it on to replace the stock Trail Wing?

Could it have been from running it underinflated? Overinflated? I'm just gob-smacked at how bad it is, and how uniform it is all the way around.

Anyway, I'm going to have to survive the Monday ride on an old hard Trail Wing. Hope they don't go too fast, and that there isn't any mud/dirt/water/sand.

jeff
I am pretty sure the tire should have a string of four numbers stamped into it someplace (not raised) and the last two digits should be the year and the two preceding would be the week it was made. Ex: 1909 would have been made in the 19th week of 2009. If we did not have a new hire starting Monday I would be going with you guys Monday, You boys will have some fun!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #21980
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Screw Burchams. Give Street Rockets of VA a call in Chester. Great pricing and he will have you something next day for no extra charge. Owners name is Matt I believe.
Jeff- I second this...Matt at Street Rockets of VA is great. I will PM you his info.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #21981
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:

jeff
If you need an 18" knobby (or trials, or flat track) immediately, I may be able to help.

PP
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #21982
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 857
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn

jeff
I have a "used" 120/90/18 MT-21 if that helps. It's a spare I was keeping. You can have it.
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #21983
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
I have a spare set of death wings that are OLD but were take offs of a DR400.

Anyone needs something to get going let me know.

They are vintage!!!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #21984
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,946
I think all of us with an off road bike seem to have some other tires sitting around to be used.

On old tires on newer bikes it does happen. Had a 2002 tire on a 2007 bike that I bought in 2008. Made me really confused but it wasn't stock.

@Higworld, do you really want to advertise you address on CL? I mean that is just advertising for some crooks to cruise by looking for your motorcycles.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #21985
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I am pretty sure the tire should have a string of four numbers stamped into it someplace (not raised) and the last two digits should be the year and the two preceding would be the week it was made. Ex: 1909 would have been made in the 19th week of 2009. If we did not have a new hire starting Monday I would be going with you guys Monday, You boys will have some fun!
Found it. The stamp is 2808. I don't think that is so old the tire should be ripping apart. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for the offers. The Trail Wing on the rear will do fine for tomorrow. I'll pick up a new tire this week.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #21986
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Just listed my Enfield on CL. Pass it along to anyone you may know who is looking for a non-dirt bike. Say a wife, friend, son, daughter, minister, co-worker, gardener, etc.

Hey Higworld, This is a little out there but if you love music i may have a trade for you.
I have a pair of Sansui XL500 speakers at my house, i love them to death but a second set of wheels would be more useful in the long run.
4-WAY, 12" PASSIVE RAD, 12" WOOFER, 4.75" MIDRANGE, 2" TWEETER
Amplifier would be included, and of course; you're more than welcome to give them a listen.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #21987
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84

Bear Creek State Park this weekend, the Forest roads were a little crazy at times but a lot of fun and the hiking beautiful.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #21988
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post

Bear Creek State Park this weekend, the Forest roads were a little crazy at times but a lot of fun and the hiking beautiful.

The last time I was there was in 2005 with the Scout Troop. There was a Trap ans Skeet Range and the State Forest has the Willis River Trail for hiking and mountain biking.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #21989
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,859
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Spark plugs pic...

are these consistent with a spot of water in the gas?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...CPHB75qA8eC3FA

YEP..that fuzzy white powdery stuff tells the tale, there definatly is some moisture in the fuel.
Not sure just how difficult it is to compleltly drain your tank, but doing the IsoHeet will help immensly, just make sure to ride as much as possible while the stuff is in suspension, like I mentioned it binds water up to allow it to burn, but after a couple weeks it will release it again, and then its drain the tank time.

It's common this time of year, and always "pops up" quickly, so when engine cutout occurs with little notice it's my number one diagnosis.

glad it worked out for you, might want to visit different gas stations now also...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #21990
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Another proud poppa post

Found out Friday that our daughter, Gretchen, received another scholarship award for her OT studies at VCU. This one was from the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society for the Robert G. Davis Service Scholarship Award. She was the sole recipient of this one.

Shes been invited to the awards ceremony to be held later this month.

Yup!! Were proud.