ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #22201
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Jeff, are you saying I'm not pretty enough for you??

Well one of these days we ought to get together. I want to pick your brain about your ride in SA. It's something I hope to undertake myself in the next few years.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #22202
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Hmm. Decisions decisions. Teresa just said she wanted to go for a ride too. Looks like Martins isn't so hot of a two-up ride, so we may do the five and dime too. Would be later though. Maybe we'll pass you on the way Greg.

The Courthouse Grill is a great place. We usually stop there when biking on the Capitol to Capitol trail.

Bastard, looks like my XR will stay clean for another day. Dang. But what can I say? If my love wants to ride with me, that's what I'm gonna do!

jeff
We're meeting Freakin RT at the gas station at the intersection of the Benjamin Harrison Bridge Road and Rt 10 just east of Hopewell in a little while (say 10:45 am) .Will probably stop at the Courthouse Grill in Charles City.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #22203
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Well one of these days we ought to get together. I want to pick your brain about your ride in SA. It's something I hope to undertake myself in the next few years.
I anticipate a SA trip myself in the next few years.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #22204
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,028
I was about to fire up the lawnmower since i finished raking up sticks. I did not realize how long that took. I will suit up and head to the TG and be there about 11 too. I will hang at the RR Xing for a bit and try to meet up with you guys. Bringing the helmet cam...
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #22205
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
I need to find something to do today kind of low key;
I'm thinking of heading to short pump in about an hour.
If anyone wants to join me or has another idea text or call 804.nineEightSix.3forNine0
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #22206
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:

Bastard, I do love your hair, but only one of us can have a beard. I'm afraid it would never work......

I'd be happy to host an ADV get together and do a slideshow of the Central America trip, drink beer, and tell stories. I could answer any question you might have, or at least lie even if I didn't know.

Don't know if you've read this, but I wrote it when I got back from Panama. It is a sticky at the top of the Ride Planning Forum.

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #22207
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I'll be there on my YZ.

Little did we know how prophetic that smiley would be...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #22208
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
I need to find something to do today kind of low key;
I'm thinking of heading to short pump in about an hour.
If anyone wants to join me or has another idea text or call 804.nineEightSix.3forNine0
Low key for me today was finishing up an '81 Yamaha XS1100 special with major carb, and front brake issues. It's finally done after a lot of work. Hopefully, the owner will pick it up this coming week. Time to move on and make room for several more that are supposed to come in this up-coming week.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #22209
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Made it home...

...wife not happy. Now she's positive I've got some kind of brain damage! To quote her, "You're not twenty anymore!"
Anyway, things could be worse of course. The biggest damage is me questioning myself. The last thing I want is to get gun-shy. That will cause more accidents than recklessness. My shoulder hurts, but not as much as my ego. For those of you wondering what's going on...just wait for the video(s). Should be a DOOZEY!

Quote:
Little did we know how prophetic that smiley would be...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #22210
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...wife not happy. Now she's positive I've got some kind of brain damage! To quote her, "You're not twenty anymore!"
Anyway, things could be worse of course. The biggest damage is me questioning myself. The last thing I want is to get gun-shy. That will cause more accidents than recklessness. My shoulder hurts, but not as much as my ego. For those of you wondering what's going on...just wait for the video(s). Should be a DOOZEY!
Hmmm?

You're walking, talking (typing), so it couldn't have been THAT bad.

Them wimmens just don't understand.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #22211
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
My bike didn't fare as well as I. Another front rim. I gotta calm down. I endo'd and my poor bike went airborne. I got lucky...Damn lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Hmmm?

You're walking, talking (typing), so it couldn't have been THAT bad.

Them wimmens just don't understand.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #22212
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's neat to see pics of a disassembled bike that I will probably see fully re-assembled once it's back on the road. I'm reading a book by a local author called "Shop Class as Soulcraft". It's mostly about the connection you have when you get your hands dirty like Guy does.
I have a little tip to add regarding keeping track of fasteners when dis-assembling something: If reinserting them into their respective threaded hole is not practical, I will use masking tape to hold them in the non-threaded hole from whence they came. Also, if I used a manual during the job and the re-assembly torque is noted, I'll write on the masking tape what the torque is so I don't need to keep flipping back and forth in the manual with my greasy little cabbage grabbers. This is most useful when it may be two weeks before you re-assemble and may not be able to recall which fastener goes where.
Muffin tins with their 8-12 pockets are excellent for containing hardware and fairly easy to label with masking tape, or whatever. Use them all the time.

I've always been a fan of getting my hands dirty. Professionally, I worked for a lot of years as an Electrical Engineer, but always looked forward to getting out on the (production) floor to help the workers put together, and wire up the creations I conjured up back at my desk. The real reward was seeing my "stuff" come to fruition and to make sure the customer was getting the product that he really wanted. Followed many of those out to the field during start-up, and that was a bonus.

Yup, now retired, but I try to carry that mindset on to every job that comes into this garage. I hold myself to a high standard (drives my wife crazy with my quest to be a perfectionist), but that's just me.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #22213
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
5/10 ride

Had a great ride today with my brother and Freak. The camaraderie was outstanding. It was my little bros first "group" ride. Freak riding sweep set him straight on the finer points of lane discipline and leaning in the turns. Stuff he probably wouldn't have listened to me on. He now knows how the pet cock switches to reserve as well.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #22214
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
I will take that as permission to post the video. Thank God. I was going to have a hard time holding back if you asked not to share it. The first clip is only 37 seconds long. Meaning you lasted less than 35 seconds at the training grounds. Optimizing the video now to stabilize, zoom and slow it down. It looks like you were riding an egg beater. I will get the crash video up soon. Later tonight I hope to get a video of the trail riding up.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #22215
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I will take that as permission to post the video. Thank God. I was going to have a hard time holding back if you asked not to share it. The first clip is only 37 seconds long. Meaning you lasted less than 35 seconds at the training grounds. Optimizing the video now to stabilize, zoom and slow it down. It looks like you were riding an egg beater. I will get the crash video up soon. Later tonight I hope to get a video of the trail riding up.
We all like a crash and burn video (with no injuries, of course). Waiting with baited breath........................