ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #22441
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm having a plumber come out tomorrow to see if he can find the problem. My real estate agent is footing the bill as well. Hopefully it's nothing that can't be fixed quick. In the meantime I have 3 fans blowing and my carpet pulled back to try and prevent mold.
It is a covered Homeowners claim. Not the unclogging but the resulting damage.

I'd get estimates before you call the insurance company. The mold issue is a big one. At the very least I'd pull the pad, apply a bactericide, dry and install new pad. Servicemaster or Servpro can get you an estimate.

My background is insurance claims and I am currently an agent.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #22442
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
A trailer and a couple of EMTs.
I was thinking medivac heli... I am not in on this one for several reasons. When I compete I aim to win and I don't want to do any competition on a bike other than the low speed stuff that was brought up a few days ago. More importantly I don't get out to the hills to ride too often and I don't want to spend time not riding. I would offer to film, click the watch, etc. but I really just want to keep the wheels spinning. I have been up that road pushing my limits and the bike's limits many times. I don't want to do it any faster and I know I can't take it easy and do it for fun when there are cameras and watches.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #22443
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I was thinking medivac heli... I am not in on this one for several reasons. When I compete I aim to win and I don't want to do any competition on a bike other than the low speed stuff that was brought up a few days ago. More importantly I don't get out to the hills to ride too often and I don't want to spend time not riding. I would offer to film, click the watch, etc. but I really just want to keep the wheels spinning. I have been up that road pushing my limits and the bike's limits many times. I don't want to do it any faster and I know I can't take it easy and do it for fun when there are cameras and watches.
Odds are this doesn't end well.....

Plenty of hare scrambles and other events you can really race. Street racing just proves who has the least to lose and who is willing to take the greatest risk....out in the middle of no where, with no support...at least you will have good cell service to call the EMT's
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #22444
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
Tower Rd

Quote:
Dirtmonkey8
Dirtmonkey8 .... you are a smart man. As much as I'd like to participate that road has some serious injury potential. Rock's don't move when you hit them.

If you guys want to do something like that on a more TAME road, why don't you give CC14 (West Point Mudd Run) a try first. No rocks and boulders there. All you can hit is a mud puddle or a tree if you run off the path. Its a lot closer as well.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #22445
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
A trailer and a couple of EMTs.

Quote:
I was thinking medivac heli... I am not in on this one for several reasons. ... and I know I can't take it easy and do it for fun when there are cameras and watches.
Same here. Riding around like a yahoo for fun is one thing but when the R-word comes out, even against a stopwatch, it ups the ante.. And not like we're talking about racing around a cow pasture here, that's an extremely unforgiving road.

--edit..
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
why don't you give CC14 (West Point Mudd Run) a try first. No rocks and boulders there. All you can hit is a mud puddle or a tree..
..just a TREE!

ddlewis screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 07:49 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #22446
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Odds are this doesn't end well.....

Plenty of hare scrambles and other events you can really race. Street racing just proves who has the least to lose and who is willing to take the greatest risk....out in the middle of no where, with no support...at least you will have good cell service to call the EMT's
Actually there is NO cell service there. The towers atop the the mountain are FAA air traffic control towers. They are not cell towers.

I do know a location nearby that would make for an interesting race. No rocks, that I remember. All up hill with soft soil and maybe 3/4 of a mile long. No water bars. Just some ruts to dodge and lots of trees. Could be a good spot since most of you guys may have never been up the rd. A completely virgin time trial run. If anyone knows where the cemetery is off of Alhambra you may know what dead end road/trail I am talking about. If Jersey had not had his incident on the Tower Rd I probably would have been excited about the Race to the Towers idea. His account of falling off the side of the road and landing between huge boulders is going to slow me down some in general.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #22447
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,747
Try bracket racing. You set 2-3 timed runs, to get an average time. Then run again for time. Winner is the person who completes the final run closest to the average speed. Rewards consistency instead of speed.

Still racing, but more safe.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #22448
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
I think you guys may be right. There is so little room for error up there it's not even funny. I do like the idea though. Mud road could be worth trying. I still haven't been there. And mud will definitely slow you down a bit.

Off-topic, but is anyone riding dirt on Sunday? Also, are we doing a RTE on Friday?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #22449
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
You've lost me a time or two on that road!

Quote:
I have been up that road pushing my limits and the bike's limits many times. I don't want to do it any faster and I know I can't take it easy and do it for fun when there are cameras and watches.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #22450
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Well it looks like the race idea is quickly loosing steam. Not that I had a dog in that fight or really cared. I typically ride slow for this group and don't need a timer to tell me.

I was watching Duck Dynasty the other night and there was an episode where they were challenged to a lawn mower race. Part of the dialog went something like:

A redneck never refuses a challenge, they would rather die trying to win the challenge instead of being embarrassed. This is why so many rednecks die in interesting ways.

Not calling anyone here a redneck but I think it probably applies to a larger group than just rednecks. This race up tower road seems like it might fit this bill. If you guys do any sort of time trial and get hurt, just make sure the insurance company or police never find out there was any kind of competition or timing happening because it puts you in a sticky situation.
1) if on public roads, the police get bent out of shape and like to charge people for reckless driving or other similarly bad things
2)Most bike insurance will instantly deny your claim if the damage happened during a "Race" sanctioned or not.

Remember insurance companies don't like to pay and look for lots of ways to get out of it. This is why you don't want to ride your bike without a valid state inspection.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 03:14 PM Reason: There was a gratuitous "w"
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #22451
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I was wondering how long it would take for ya'll to come to your senses.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #22452
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #22453
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
If you guys do any sort of time trial and get hurt, just make sure the insurance company or police never find out there was any kind of competition or timing happening because it puts you in a sticky situation.
1) if on public roads, the police get bent out of shape and like to charge people for wreckless driving or other similarly bad things
2)Most bike insurance will instantly deny your claim if the damage happened during a "Race" sanctioned or not.

Remember insurance companies don't like to pay and look for lots of ways to get out of it. This is why you don't want to ride your bike without a valid state inspection.
And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone, but this forum is public, and a matter of record now for anyone to refer to. It has happened before that an ADV'r was posting about a very sporty multi-day ride down the BRP. Was then involved in an accident, and his forum/posts were used against him in court.

So challenges, timing, competition, etc might be best kept in PM's or face to face.

Me? I no longer feel the need for speed as I once did. IMHO, boys being boys, speed, adrenalin, and bad decisions get worse the larger the group involved. I will try to get thru just about anything on a bike, but not fast. Never have been fast, probably never will be.......

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #22454
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
I couldn't have put it so succinctly.

And jgiacobbe: I think wreckless would be desirable in this case. Reckless...not so much.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #22455
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
I couldn't have put it so succinctly.

And jgiacobbe: I think wreckless would be desirable in this case. Reckless...not so much.
Stupid Synonyms.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote