ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #211
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanskeeper
Hey guys, I'm heading to Morton's tomorrow morning. Leaving Mechanicsville @ 7:30. Yeah I know it's gonna be a bit chilly, but gotta get my bike serviced. Anybody want me to check on anything for them...you know gloves, boots, farkles???? This is not an offer to buy you nuts anything just inquire for you!!!!
Thanks for the heads-up, but if Santa didn't bring it, I ain't gettin' it!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #212
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Tech up 13-7...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #213
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Way to go TECH!!! 20-7 final score. ACC, ACC, ACC...
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #214
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
MOB, did you get that new little computer set up yet? I've been thinkin'.....................
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #215
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,176
yep, it's good to go...

whatcha got on yer mind there pal???
p/m me....I'm being a home body today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123
MOB, did you get that new little computer set up yet? I've been thinkin'.....................
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #216
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Hey Richmond - Riding to the Mountains Saturday 1/3/2009?

I'm taking Rte 60/56 out to Montebello and then figure out the weather looks like another stellar day route/loop back from there. Anybody interested?

Buena Vista Forecast :

Saturday

Mostly Sunny Hi 56F
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #217
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

You all have fun today! Family and I are headed out to Staunton to poke around and hike a bit. Back to riding tomorrow...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #218
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
You all have fun today! Family and I are headed out to Staunton to poke around and hike a bit. Back to riding tomorrow...
Have fun; be safe.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #219
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

B'day "gifts" (to myself) with a minus sign

Well, thought I'd picked up a nice laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1525 w/dual-core processor. Performance and feature-wise, it is a very nice machine, but it has a couple of things that did not meet my criteria. It had to have docking-station capability using a port replicator base. I was led to believe it did; it does not. It did come with XP installed, which was another requirement I had.

But the most disconcerting "feature" is the ExpressCard slot. Advertised as being 34mm, it is actually an ExpressCard/54 (full PCMCIA card width) .... meaning the opening is 54mm, but the actual pin engagement in the bowels of the maching are 34mm.

Being so, it will not lateraly support a 34mm wide card and it can easily become dislodged if bumped even slightly. A very bad design and I can't imagine why such a configuration exists. There are no broadband cards available in the "L-shaped" platform this machine requires. I just don't understand how it would be expected that a 34mm wide device would stay snug, and connected, in a slot that is 54mm wide at its opening. At the very least there should be a spacer available to fill in the gap so the 34mm wide device fits snug and secure and it won't "flop" around. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a spacer available to fill in the gap so the card is better supported.

Also, the docking station/monitor stand they sent is for one of their XPS models. Not even close, especially considering the 1525 isn't "dockable" to begin with.

Soooo, it's all going back.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #220
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

happy birthday Dad!!!!

I kinda told ya to blow off Dell, they package stuff A.F.U., and are a P.I.T.A. to get them on the ball...
so, with that being said.... use that gift certificate the company gave us at: TigerDirect.... I used mine last year for my machine...
or at least NewEgg...
both have XP equipped machines..... for a major savings over Dell, and they also have pretty explanatory photos of all sides of the machines, so you can see the go-zintas-an-go-zoutas....

I thought for sure there were wireless P cards/units that plug into a USB port also... no?
sorry they burned ya, shoulda learned form the p.o.s. Dell that work gave you....
My Big Dell has a stepped slot, and will take either card....
an my birthday is coming up in 3 months...
Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #221
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES
I kinda told ya to blow off Dell, they package stuff A.F.U., and are a P.I.T.A. to get them on the ball...
so, with that being said.... use that gift certificate the company gave us at: TigerDirect.... I used mine last year for my machine...
or at least NewEgg...
both have XP equipped machines..... for a major savings over Dell, and they also have pretty explanatory photos of all sides of the machines, so you can see the go-zintas-an-go-zoutas....

I thought for sure there were wireless P cards/units that plug into a USB port also... no?
sorry they burned ya, shoulda learned form the p.o.s. Dell that work gave you....
My Big Dell has a stepped slot, and will take either card....
an my birthday is coming up in 3 months...
Actually, I have no complaints with the D610 from work. Other than one small quirk, it's been a good machine.

Yes, there are USB Broadband cards, but the PCMCIA and ExpressCards (EC) are supposed to be faster.......... very important in this stoopid game we play. Plus, have to connect this "dongle" out the side everytime you wanna use it. The PCM BB card I had for the D610 was left in place all the time I had it (the card).

"My Big Dell has a stepped slot, and will take either card"

I would look at that closely. The 1525 appears to take either, but internally there is a ramp to direct the end of EC card to its mating connector.

Regardless, this one will get stripped of the files I've transferred and get returned. Damn shame, 'cause it's really nice machine; just doesn't meet with my requirements.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #222
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Here's what we did today: Hiking around Sherando Lake near Staunton. Not a sole around, gorgeous day though a bit chilly in the am (took some 'hot hands' with me just on case) but by the time we got to the top we were nice and warm, coats off, and basking in the glory of the peace and quite.What a great day!

From sherando

From sherando

From sherando

From sherando

From sherando
Old 01-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #223
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young

"My Big Dell has a stepped slot, and will take either card"

I would look at that closely. The 1525 appears to take either, but internally there is a ramp to direct the end of EC card to its mating connector.
I hear what you are saying, mine definatly has a notched cutout, with a narrower "thick" section that runs deeper into the unit, alnog with the full width "thinner" slot (which is half as deep), filled with a pop-out filler plug showing the different depths. it also has the third type of card slot, which is really thin, but about as wide as the wide slot.
still a bummer dude, sorry to hear that.
The card I tried out (that worked in town, but not from my house) was the fat/wide card. (pcm/cia?)... glad I didn't sign a contract and tried before buying... curious to see if your carrier "reaches out and touches" from out here, have to try it after you get squared away.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #224
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM
I'm taking Rte 60/56 out to Montebello and then figure out the weather looks like another stellar day route/loop back from there. Anybody interested?

Buena Vista Forecast :

Saturday

Mostly Sunny Hi 56F
Hope you had a good ride today, I did! Of course, my start was rather leisurely as I left Cycle Concepts(hoping to pick up Rider929)around noon...rode the dreaded 60 out to Buckingham where I grabbed 56(60 has the ability to suck the life out of a good ride I tell you, no less then 4 police cars in various spots)...56 as you know is a great road(that RR crossing between county's had me catch some decent air time!), looks like the hunters were having alot of luck as well. I saw no less then 4 hanging trophy's. Hit Monte @3pm for some Chili and a chat with the long haired beauty..she was bored I think not wasting much time I rode down to Visuvious(sp?)not a car in sight! Passed some bikes headed the other way, nobody I recognized...with the sun going down decided to hit 11 to 340 to 64 for the 100 mile slab home, rolled in @5:30...couldn't feel my fingers(gotta work on that)...total was 275 for me...good day I say
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #225
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

someone was spying on ya'

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=2

glad ya had a good ride... I was stuck here....