ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #22546
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Well I had a good day today! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...
good for her! and good deal on the dirt bagz.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #22547
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Chuck,
Ground your GS immediately, DO NOT ride it until you gusset that frame! Too much $hit on your bike, too much rough gravel and speed! A failure would be disastrous!

Go see Jeff stat! The Spring Fling is three weeks away!
Chuck, if you strip the rear subframe off (which is fairly simple to do), I think my welding guy can do it for under $100, gusseting above and below that spot on both sides. Of course, we all know a GUY who probably could weld it too.

Mine cost $100 to repair because I had snapped it all the way thru, and he had to put a solid insert into the frame. Just gusseting it might be a little cheaper.

You've got to take the entire subframe off though, because welding a GS frame does bad things to the electronic stuff ........ if they are not completely separated. Believe me, you do not want to have to replace the flux capacitor.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #22548
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
what happened to the DMV renewal notifications?

got pulled over and ticketed for expired plates in the cage. damn tags expired at the end of February

off to the courthouse to prove I renewed the plates
well the clerk said "NOPE" talk to the judge. the cop said they'd drop it, so the print out from DMV wasn't good enough, I'll try again when the registration shows up

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #22549
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
well the clerk said "NOPE" talk to the judge. the cop said they'd drop it, so the print out from DMV wasn't good enough, I'll try again when the registration shows up

The last few times I renewed online I printed out a tmperary registration. But never got pulled over.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #22550
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
I went through this a couple months ago, via my daughter driving my car w/ expired tag. Cop told her to renew it and it would be dropped. So I did and it was - BUT she had to show up in court in front of the judge to get it dismissed. Clerk wouldn't or couldn't do anything.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #22551
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Chuck, if you strip the rear subframe off (which is fairly simple to do), I think my welding guy can do it for under $100, gusseting above and below that spot on both sides. Of course, we all know a GUY who probably could weld it too.

Mine cost $100 to repair because I had snapped it all the way thru, and he had to put a solid insert into the frame. Just gusseting it might be a little cheaper.

You've got to take the entire subframe off though, because welding a GS frame does bad things to the electronic stuff ........ if they are not completely separated. Believe me, you do not want to have to replace the flux capacitor.

jeff
Oh boy! Oh boy! Another GS frame to split in two.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #22552
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
The last few times I renewed online I printed out a tmperary registration. But never got pulled over.

I got pulled over with the temporary. Cop seemed kinda bummed to walk away without ticketing me.
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #22553
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Oh boy! Oh boy! Another GS frame to split in two.

Not wanting to harsh your mellow Guy, but this one is really simple since you don't do anything to the rear drive train. Just a lot of brackets, bolts, and zipties to cut. If I can do it, anyone can.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #22554
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I went through this a couple months ago, via my daughter driving my car w/ expired tag. Cop told her to renew it and it would be dropped. So I did and it was - BUT she had to show up in court in front of the judge to get it dismissed. Clerk wouldn't or couldn't do anything.
Chesterfield cop said if I have a problem call the number on the ticket. He was cool. He mentioned they get it all the time since DMV has stopped sending out notices

I'll try again and then call if they don't or can't do anything. wtf guilty as charged.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #22555
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
I got pulled over with the temporary. Cop seemed kinda bummed to walk away without ticketing me.
I keep looking in the mirror now just waiting on it to happen

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #22556
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not wanting to harsh your mellow Guy, but this one is really simple since you don't do anything to the rear drive train. Just a lot of brackets, bolts, and zipties to cut. If I can do it, anyone can.

jeff
Me thinks you might want to revisit that:

EDIT: I say that because, due to everything that is connected to the rear sub-frame..... including the swing arm, there's a hellava lot of stuff that needs to be disconnected, and removed.

Guy Young screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 12:50 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #22557
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
Quote:

jeff

No big deal on the FC.... They are not unobtainium anymore:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121G.oap

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #22558
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
No big deal on the FC.... They are not unobtainium anymore:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121G.oap

TG
And the (new) DeLorean motor company will gladly install it for you.

http://delorean.com/

Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #22559
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Gerbings Recall

Jacket liners are overheating and cooking occupants.

Check web site www.gerbing.com, click on Recalls & warning button on the left side of page.

In a nutshell............It appears there is a loose connection that is overheating, look at your tags on the inside of jacket liner, if it is a PO# 3796 you are a lucky winner, send your jacket liner to Gerbings and they will either fix it or send you a new one.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #22560
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Ditto from me Mike. Looks like an ADV wonderland. We miss you.

In regards to the new Shorai battery I put in my GS .... I take back all the good things I said about it. POS. It left me stranded two mornings in a row up in Laurel Fork. It was just above freezing the first morning and all it did was click click click. The second morning it was 24 degrees ... not a chance. Piece of $hit. I hate to give bad reviews for anything but this one deserves it. There was another inmate there with the same battery and the same problem.
I have them in both my KTMs. I only made it to Monterey with my kid on Friday (flat tire on his bike) but got to LF on Saturday. I had to grind my starter both mornings. Saturday in town was warmer, but it was 22 on Sunday morning at camp.

On Sunday I had to grind my starter 7 or 8 times to start. A lithium battery gets stronger as the chemicals heat up as I understand it. My bike started fine, but it took longer than normal. It's a pain, I will agree but the bike will start if you keep at it. Just don't put it on a standard charger for a long time.

Last winter I put it on the charger when it didn't start on a cold day and killed it. They sent me a new one. If you read the threads on it and the starting proceedure for a cold day it may help get you started, but it may not make you feel any better. I guess you could argue that they will harm the starter. I did short bursts of grinding. They will get stronger as you go until it starts. Good luck.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote