ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #22636
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
My Adventure is back home. Well done Guy...it rides great. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

+1 on congrats for Gretchen's accomplishments. She's one sharp "Young" lady. I know you have good reason to be proud.

+1 on that

Guy, as usual, you do great work. Both mechanically and genetically. Gretchen may have gotten her brains and drive from you, but thank goodness she got her looks and compassion from her mom.

You have every reason to be a proud papa.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #22637
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,046
Motorcycle Marshal

I was a motorcycle marshal in the Richmond Triathlon this morning, what fun! I rode along the bike route looking for anyone who needed medical or any other assistance. For a few miles, I followed a guy who was a paraplegic in a trike that he pedaled with his arms. At one point, I paced him at 22 mph! I saw another guy wipe out about 100 feet in front of me, he went off the road into the shrubbery covered in weeds and thorns. He was more embarrassed than anything as he pulled the greenery off of his bike and helmet.

Guy, Greg's bike looks great but about the right spotlight...unless he's looking for bugs on the road, I think it needs an adjustment.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #22638
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,945
I got up this morning and went to the dealership where I am a "preferred customer" which meant in the past things like a free inspection and getting whisked right in when it is time for inspection. This time was different. I was told I needed an appointment and that there was no way it was getting done today because they were booked up. The preferred customer thing was about the only thing that had them keeping my business so I guess that is over. I can understand them being booked up and I am happy for them that they are that busy. I just didn't feel like a preferred customer anymore and didn't feel like waiting another week to get the inspection.

So instead of making an appointment, I rode my little bike on over to Ken's Cycle Center and had my bike promptly inspected with no waiting.

+1 for Ken's Cycle. During the 20 minutes or so I was there, I saw several customers come and go. Everyone seemed happy. I enjoyed that experience and will probably go to them as my local dealer now.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #22639
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I got up this morning and went to the dealership where I am a "preferred customer" which meant in the past things like a free inspection and getting whisked right in when it is time for inspection. This time was different. I was told I needed an appointment and that there was no way it was getting done today because they were booked up. The preferred customer thing was about the only thing that had them keeping my business so I guess that is over. I can understand them being booked up and I am happy for them that they are that busy. I just didn't feel like a preferred customer anymore and didn't feel like waiting another week to get the inspection.

So instead of making an appointment, I rode my little bike on over to Ken's Cycle Center and had my bike promptly inspected with no waiting.

+1 for Ken's Cycle. During the 20 minutes or so I was there, I saw several customers come and go. Everyone seemed happy. I enjoyed that experience and will probably go to them as my local dealer now.
Even tho' it's a trek across the river, I always go to Ken's for my inspection needs. More convenient when I worked over that way, but a nice break for a ride even tho' there are tolls involved. Yes, I could go a longer route, but don't.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #22640
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

NO MORE TICKETS!

I've had a change of plans for this evening so now I have a handful of NASCAR tickets for tonight that I am willing to give away among ADV members if you:

1. Are NOT going to sell them and
2. Are 100% sure that you can make it.

If you've never been, it's an experience...a THICK slice of society shows up at the race. Take earplugs!!! PM me, let me know how many u need, I have a bunch!

2 gone, 4 more gone, 2 more gone, two more gone, LAST SIX JUST LEFT...

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 02:19 PM Reason: NO MORE TICKETS
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #22641
Jeff Munn

Mmmmmmm. Shrooms......

Found our first morels today. Have been searching for a week. Very cold spring so far, but it is coming to the mtns!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #22642
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 857
GS frame inspection

Guy .... Great job! At home and the garage. Im at 62K so I may be next.

Greg .... you know what time it is? Time to ride!

Eddy .... Id love to go but once in 5 years is good for me. It was a lot of fun however.

Jeremy ... +1 for Kens. He has been around a long time and has always been very helpful.

In regards to the frame on my 1200GS ..... I just got back from Morton's. Several of the staff came out to look at it. Everyone agreed .... get on it and ride. They found nothing wrong with the structure of the frame. They even completed a State inspection on the bike, then sent me home. For now Im just going to keep an eye on it. If anything changes or if I run across someone who has the equipment to literally inspect the metal I will let everyone know the results.

Thanks for all the advise and input.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #22643
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Found our first morels today. Have been searching for a week. Very cold spring so far, but it is coming to the mtns!
Excellent on finding the morels.

By now, you should be on your way to Helvetia for the ramp dinner. Sure wish I was going, but just wasn't to be this year.

Enjoy..... and BTW - after eating ramps, Listerine and deodorant soap, is your and everyone else around you, best friend.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #22644
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Excellent on finding the morels.

By now, you should be on your way to Helvetia for the ramp dinner. Sure wish I was going, but just wasn't to be this year.

Enjoy..... and BTW - after eating ramps, Listerine and deodorant soap, is your and everyone else around you, best friend.

We had a change of plans. There is a Ramp Dinner tonight in Monterey. Since I've never had them, and don't know what to expect, we opted for the 1 hr roundtrip to Monterey instead of the 5 hour roundtrip to Helvetia. We are departing within the hour.

As for the aroma? It is just T and I up here, so it doesn't matter as long as we both eat them!

BTW there is a forest fire somewhere east of us in the GW forest. We're getting strong smoke and acrid smells from over the mtn that way.

jeff

Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #22645
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
We had a change of plans. There is a Ramp Dinner tonight in Monterey. Since I've never had them, and don't know what to expect, we opted for the 1 hr roundtrip to Monterey instead of the 5 hour roundtrip to Helvetia. We are departing within the hour.

As for the aroma? It is just T and I up here, so it doesn't matter as long as we both eat them!

BTW there is a forest fire somewhere east of us in the GW forest. We're getting strong smoke and acrid smells from over the mtn that way.

jeff
Ramps are nothing more than a wild onion, or wild leek......... similar to scallions but considerably stronger. Think of a strong onion and garlic combination, with the emphasis on strong.

I love'em. When I was visiting my parents when they lived in Glenville, the thing to do this time of year was to go to a ramp dinner. They're all over the place, from church socials, fire/rescue center fund raisers, town halls, etc. I think you and T will like them..... especially if they are cooked up in bacon grease, a healthy serving of corn bread, and potatoes...... it just don't get any better.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #22646
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,346
Got me a new bike. A Harley Getting paid to ride is great
Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #22647
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Chris! I'd complaint! Didn't they tell you that they have BMW R1200RT's! I've seen them! Ask for an upgrade! J/K! Have fun...pictures or it didn't happen! Did you get the sexy, knee high black boots too!?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #22648
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Congratulations!!!

Tough course to get through, but sounds like you dun good!!!

Excellent. You make us proud!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #22649
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

I hate working on my own sheet!

Even tho' I religiously drain a tank and run the carbs dry at the end of each session for the chain saw, leaf blower, weed whacker, etc., the crap gas we have today still did its thing on the chain saw.

After doing a bunch of other yard work, needed it to whack some small trees that were becoming a PITA. Muther wouldn't run worth a poo. After fooling with it for a bit and getting frustrated, I went ahead and did the other stuff that needed to be done, then came back to it.

Thinking I was probably gonna have to pull and disassemble the (pumper) carb, I managed to gain access to the lo and high mixtures needles. Pulled them out, spritz the bejezus though the circuits with carb cleaner, blew them out with air, then repeated several times.

Back together, it runs like new.... actually better than it has for a long time. Whacked the trees and it dun good.

Nervous about the weed whacker, pulled it down and filled it with gas. Same type of carb, but it lit off and runs great. Will do the final trimming on the yard tomorrow. Time to just sit and chill....... wishing I was over at one of the ramp dinners to enjoy the “King of Stink.”

Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #22650
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
wishing I was over at one of the ramp dinners to enjoy the “King of Stink.”
Having never had ramps, you've still somehow managed to make me want some, even with the inglorious name "King of Stink". LOL! Maybe I'll have to ride west next weekend and find a place that offers them. I'll just have to make sure I've got the large box of breath mints in the tank bag, I suppose. :-)

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote