ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #22651
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Hey 1200 guys. Found a cool way to paint your GS. Don't think it would work on my 1100, or I'd be all over this. Pretty neat, IMHO.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #22652
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Having never had ramps, you've still somehow managed to make me want some, even with the inglorious name "King of Stink". LOL! Maybe I'll have to ride west next weekend and find a place that offers them. I'll just have to make sure I've got the large box of breath mints in the tank bag, I suppose. :-)
Rick:

and:

http://www.kingofstink.com/WV.html

Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #22653
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Rick, working on something. You up for a road trip next w/e??

Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #22654
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I just got back from my 1500+ mile 3day ride. First day I slabed it to bristal then did the snake for the first time and continued to the brp to mt mitchel. On way back to little Switzerland I did rt80 off to brp what a great road. I camped north of ashville next to a river and morn headed staight to deals gap and got the tee shirt. First time on the dragon it was fun wx was good. I could see how that place can get crazy i ran it in the morn before the crowd. I then did the cherohala which is 40 miles of bliss. On way back north did 441 through the smokies and the views were the best iv seen but its a slow go with caged traffic. I then slabed it to wytheveille to stay in a motel to beat the rain. Last day took back roads boyer station and 250 to head home icing on the cake. The days aren't long enough and the trip wouldn't have been done if not for the airhawk coushin i bought before the trip best money i spent. Sorry for the long post i could go on on just so many good roads.G]
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #22655
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Good job Jersey
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #22656
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Thinking I was probably gonna have to pull and disassemble the (pumper) carb, I managed to gain access to the lo and high mixtures needles. Pulled them out, spritz the bejezus though the circuits with carb cleaner, blew them out with air, then repeated several times.

Those carbs are really easy to clean.

Important point note the order of the stack of gasket/plate/ gasket/ plate/ etc as you take it apart.

If the gaskets won't come aprt cleanly DO NOT proceed until you have gaskets in hand. They are also the valves that make it work!!!

On a more fun note I got a pass to go to the training grounds and hit it with John Ryland and Matt Crawford and another gentleman with the last name linkous couple of KLRs and me and a XR650. Fun. SLow. Got the LKR stuck fast in the mud that looked dry and passable....NOT!!! Stuck vertical. Took all of us to lift it out. What the hell is in that mud????
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #22657
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Gotta luv nature's critters

Large 'possum that's lived in a neighbor's brush pile for a lotta years:

'Course, Chopper goes nuts every time he sees it.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #22658
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
In regards to the frame on my 1200GS ..... I just got back from Morton's. Several of the staff came out to look at it. Everyone agreed .... get on it and ride. They found nothing wrong with the structure of the frame. They even completed a State inspection on the bike, then sent me home. For now Im just going to keep an eye on it. If anything changes or if I run across someone who has the equipment to literally inspect the metal I will let everyone know the results.

Thanks for all the advise and input.
I'd do a check with Magna-Flux. It's like an x-ray for metal.

Quote:
Even tho' I religiously drain a tank and run the carbs dry at the end of each session for the chain saw, leaf blower, weed whacker, etc., the crap gas we have today still did its thing on the chain saw.

After doing a bunch of other yard work, needed it to whack some small trees that were becoming a PITA. Muther wouldn't run worth a poo. After fooling with it for a bit and getting frustrated, I went ahead and did the other stuff that needed to be done, then came back to it.

Thinking I was probably gonna have to pull and disassemble the (pumper) carb, I managed to gain access to the lo and high mixtures needles. Pulled them out, spritz the bejezus though the circuits with carb cleaner, blew them out with air, then repeated several times.

Back together, it runs like new.... actually better than it has for a long time. Whacked the trees and it dun good.

Nervous about the weed whacker, pulled it down and filled it with gas. Same type of carb, but it lit off and runs great. Will do the final trimming on the yard tomorrow. Time to just sit and chill....... wishing I was over at one of the ramp dinners to enjoy the King of Stink.

My Stihl leaf blower has a spark arrestor that I have to remove and clean every couple of years. When it's gummed up, she barely starts and runs like dookey. When it's clean, it sounds like a pro MX bike on methanol.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #22659
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Damn Jersey! That's some good riding!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #22660
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Rick, working on something. You up for a road trip next w/e??

Might have spoken too soon. Think my wife has something planned for our daughter's birthday next w/e. The ramps may have to wait for another year.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #22661
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Might have spoken too soon. Think my wife has something planned for our daughter's birthday next w/e. The ramps may have to wait for another year.

Picking up boys from college anyway. Could have only made a day trip. If that. Thanks for the thought though.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #22662
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Anyone riding today?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #22663
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Anyone riding today?
I was planning on heading out to the TG in an hour or so, maybe 2. No concrete time. Wanna come with? There is some very light showering today but overall it should be relatively dry as it hasn't rained proper since 2 days before i went last sunday.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #22664
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Picking up boys from college anyway. Could have only made a day trip. If that. Thanks for the thought though.
Guess it wouldn't have worked then.

My original thought was to head over Saturday to Rella's for her ramp dinner, meander around a bit, and grab a bunk for the night at the Hutte in Helvetia. Eat breakfast there Sunday morning, head back through the forest roads of Kumbrabow State Forest, then set a course for home.

Perhaps another day sans the ramps.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #22665
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Just got to the training grounds. Look out for me if you're coming.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote