ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #22711
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Anyone out there got a solder sucker? I've got to replace a fuse holder on a circuit board.
I've got one you can borrow.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #22712
Roald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Hey guys... I heard something through the grapevine that I wanted to pass on as a precaution. A guy came through the car wash today that I hadn't met before and we got to talking about bikes. Apparently he has a couple KTMs that he rides around at the TG. Well this past week he heard about a guy getting his truck stuck near the railroad tracks, driving along side them. Apparently that brought a bunch of recent attention to the area. This guy lives right near there and was an older guy so I don't think he was jerking my chain.

Apparently his wife works right over near the Martin's and she saw a whole grip of authorities over there, from Land Management to local cops, with a big black SUV and a damn paddy wagon right over in the corner of the lot where people usually enter.

There are only a couple of ways out of there and I just wanted you all to know the risks. I'm damn sure not risking my new bike and daily driver for a few hours of fun. Guess I'll be heading to the mountains a bit more often than I figured this summer.

Just wanted to throw it out there. Be careful boys.
From what I've heard that area heats up every now and again, usually in the spring. A few yahoos go back there and get stuck or get hurt and the cops get called. Last year some clowns on quads tore up the gravel railroad bed and Norfolk Southern got upset. So the cops got called, a few people got tickets and the word spread that it's not cool to ride back there. And it got quiet. For a while.
My guess is that warm weather has brought out a few too many local brain surgeons riding quads or 4 wheeling in trucks. Someone has noticed and isn't happy about it. (Most likely the shopping center management.) So it's time to write some tickets to calm things down and make everyone happy. The paddy wagon will disappear soon enough. And there are other ways to access those trails anyways. (I've never seen any cops riding DS bikes back there and the Richmond cops I've talked to say their jurisdiction ends at the tracks. And they don't really care) When summer rolls around and the temps hit 90, "attendance" will drop off considerably.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #22713
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I've got one you can borrow.

Thanks. I'll PM you when my parts come in.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #22714
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
back when I used to ride there it was known the area is patrolled. rpd has dual sports and will write you for trespassing.....FYI I'm not saying go or don't ....
"Sponsored Rider"... That's awesome! I did "hear" that Richmond lost their DS bikes. Not in the budget, but still just hearsay. I still find it odd that RPD can send officers on bikes onto private property without being called in. Would that not be trespassing also? A former Richmond Detective (now K-9), who is a customer of mine, was the one who told me about the riding area and that I check it out. He said to drop his name if the officers on DS bikes got me. One of my other customers built those trails in the 1980's. It got too busy so he stopped going in there. My wife used to go into that area in high school to party 20 years ago. One of the kids actually had a key to the gate near Crestwood Elem. At this point the owner may as well donate it to the City, county or state as a dedicated and maintained riding area. If that area was not developed during the past economic booms I doubt it will be any time soon. I don't want to live or work between a highway and a RR track. Thanks for the Heads up Bastard.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #22715
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Bernie Dietz

You have a PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #22716
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 75
kwn306- knowing that a new rt is not just around the corner helps. Looks like I need to research the final dive problem abit. I don't want to have to put a new one in every 50-100k.

The connie is out- I had a kaw and wasn't impressed. Ultimately I had bad service experiences, not impressed with the dealer network on the east coast, and I had various gremlens with the bike. I wish I knew about ken's back then and maybe my experience would be different. For me, time to try something different.

Guzzie Norge. Now that's different! Where would I get it serviced repaired and the like? I travel all over. How hard is it to find help around the US?

B.E. Coyote- tapatalk turned your text into yellow on white so I can hardly read it. Anyone know why this happens? Some setting I can change?

Roger123- lets get together so I can check it out. I'll have more time after this weekend. PM me with your info and best days/times.

Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #22717
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Redline in Yorktown is a Guzzie dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
Guzzie Norge. Now that's different! Where would I get it serviced repaired and the like? I travel all over. How hard is it to find help around the US?
. PM me with your info and best days/times.

Thanks!!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #22718
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
kwn306- knowing that a new rt is not just around the corner helps. Looks like I need to research the final dive problem abit. I don't want to have to put a new one in every 50-100k.

The connie is out- I had a kaw and wasn't impressed. Ultimately I had bad service experiences, not impressed with the dealer network on the east coast, and I had various gremlens with the bike. I wish I knew about ken's back then and maybe my experience would be different. For me, time to try something different.

B.E. Coyote- tapatalk turned your text into yellow on white so I can hardly read it. Anyone know why this happens? Some setting I can change?

Roger123- lets get together so I can check it out. I'll have more time after this weekend. PM me with your info and best days/times.

Thanks!!
I love Ken's Cycle. I was in there yesterday. They have only been a Kawasaki dealer, etc. for a year or two. They were Suzuki only up until then so you would not have been able to get their superior service back then anyway. I don't think you should rule out the Connie yet based on what you just stated. I had an FJR for a little while and loved it. I found myself going too fast too often and my wife stopped riding with me when my son was born so I sold it for the Tiger 800XC. I have talked to ST owners who loved their bikes too. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #22719
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Hey Bastard, did you ever get over to the training grounds Sunday? I know you posted up, but I never heard back. I ended up riding there for a couple good hours. I can't believe how many trails are there. It is such a big place. The only two people I saw were two guys on little 50cc bikes. They were absolutely flying through the trails. It was impossible to keep up. Despite no ground clearance those little things can maneuver those tight trails well. I ended up breaking one of my side reflectors on the front. I still haven't got the bike inspected since I bought it. Hopefully they'll still pass me.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #22720
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
ATTN: All the KTM guys!!!

Are there any known issues with a 03 525EXC that a buyer should know about?
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #22721
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Thinking about going orange.....

IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #22722
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Hey Bastard, did you ever get over to the training grounds Sunday? I know you posted up, but I never heard back. I ended up riding there for a couple good hours. I can't believe how many trails are there. It is such a big place. The only two people I saw were two guys on little 50cc bikes. They were absolutely flying through the trails. It was impossible to keep up. Despite no ground clearance those little things can maneuver those tight trails well. I ended up breaking one of my side reflectors on the front. I still haven't got the bike inspected since I bought it. Hopefully they'll still pass me.

Nah, I didn't end up going since I didn't see your response until after a couple hours and by then the rain looked pretty threatening. We really need to get together and ride though...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #22723
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
ATTN: All the KTM guys!!!

Are there any known issues with a 03 525EXC that a buyer should know about?
known to pull arms off.

my bro had an '04 525ex/c. it was bad ass. so much, he traded down to a 250xc.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #22724
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
known to pull arms off.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #22725
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
"Sponsored Rider"... That's awesome! I did "hear" that Richmond lost their DS bikes. Not in the budget, but still just hearsay. I still find it odd that RPD can send officers on bikes onto private property without being called in. Would that not be trespassing also? A former Richmond Detective (now K-9), who is a customer of mine, was the one who told me about the riding area and that I check it out. He said to drop his name if the officers on DS bikes got me. One of my other customers built those trails in the 1980's. It got too busy so he stopped going in there. My wife used to go into that area in high school to party 20 years ago. One of the kids actually had a key to the gate near Crestwood Elem. At this point the owner may as well donate it to the City, county or state as a dedicated and maintained riding area. If that area was not developed during the past economic booms I doubt it will be any time soon. I don't want to live or work between a highway and a RR track. Thanks for the Heads up Bastard.
Spotcrime shows crimes reported.....I signed up for the alerts and will keep you all in the loop......

Note the SHOOTING nearby!!!

http://spotcrime.com/index.php#7045%...C%20VA%2023225
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote