ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #22801
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Good time on the beach in Corrolla yesterday...
Great pics Todd. You are probably safer on the beach on a MC than you are driving your BMW on 460....

When Joe and I go to start the Trans America Trail, we're going to officially start the ride on the beach in OBX. So around the 18th of June, if anyone wants to join us for a ride to OBX, and a ride on the beach north of Duck, let me know. It would be a great send off for Joe, and we'll need it documented with lots of photos! ( Not that anyone here carries a camera when they ride.)

Riding the beach is a lot of fun.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #22802
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Would that work on keeping the deer out of our garden? Do they make tear gas balls? If so, I'm in......

jeff
http://alternatebuy.com/68_cal_pepper_powder_balls

FWIW - the Tippman is in .68 cal.

Guy Young screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 12:17 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #22803
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
http://alternatebuy.com/68_cal_pepper_powder_balls

FWIW - the Tippman is in .68 cal.

I was joking..... If I shot a deer with that, Teresa would light me up. But it would be a hoot to see what a skunk would do when hit with a pepper ball ! That would be one hell of a stink to inhale.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #22804
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
How far can you ride on the beach down there?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #22805
Jeff Munn

OBX beach driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
How far can you ride on the beach down there?
Google OBX beach driving. There are numerous spots down there to drive on the beach. Some are limited by time of year, some are open all year, some require permits. Familiarize yourself with the rules before you go. The beach north of Corolla is an official state highway and is patrolled. 25 mph speed limit, and pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way.

I've ridden two-up with Teresa on my GS from Corolla going north towards the VA state line. I'm guessing it is at least 10 miles of beach that are open. Might be a little more. Make sure you time it so you hit it at low tide for the most packed sand.

The worst part is the 50 yards of deeply churned and rutted sand between the end of the paved road, and the hard pack by the water line.

It is well worth the trip, just for the experience.

jeff

Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #22806
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Beach

Nice photos Todd. I know exactly where you were. Nice area. I'd love to get the DRZ400 down there. Have fun!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #22807
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Today Dan, Macon (Dirtmonkey) and I took off for some gravel and dirt. We went back to Edinburg VA to find the ATV trails Todd, Loftus, Mark and I couldn't find a couple weeks ago. Ends up being Peters Mill Run, ATV/OHV trails. Dan and Macon ripped up the gnarly trails on their DR650's while I picked my way through the boulder fields on the 1200GS. The last time I was there with Greg (a couple years ago) it was free to explore. Today we had to pay $5 per person to enjoy the area. If anyone gets up there it's certainly worth the $5 but next time I'm taking the DRZ400. Just over 360 miles for me today. Thanks guys for a great day. Lets do it again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #22808
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Today Dan, Macon (Dirtmonkey) and I took off for some gravel and dirt. We went back to Edinburg VA to find the ATV trails Todd, Loftus, Mark and I couldn't find a couple weeks ago. Ends up being Peters Mill Run, ATV/OHV trails. Dan and Macon ripped up the gnarly trails on their DR650's while I picked my way through the boulder fields on the 1200GS. The last time I was there with Greg (a couple years ago) it was free to explore. Today we had to pay $5 per person to enjoy the area. If anyone gets up there it's certainly worth the $5 but next time I'm taking the DRZ400. Just over 360 miles for me today. Thanks guys for a great day. Lets do it again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck, you are welcome and thank you as well. I had a great time.

It is also important that you purchase your OHV Area Permit BEFORE you get to the trailhead. They sell them in stores "in the area" so look it up online before you head out there . And if anyone has a project that requires tons of golf ball to melon sized rocks I know where you can find all you will ever need.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #22809
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Ya'll need to attend the catherders campout...its a hop, skip to taskers and one heck of a party
We almost killed a tenere last year...

great bunch of folks...can you slow race

Andrew missed it by that much

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #22810
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
thanks guys, that was fun.. 377 quality miles today for me. Some of everything mixed in there, scenic cruise, nice twisties, gravel and semi-gnarly trail riding. Got home, shower, supper, drank two beers - not sure what happened but I woke up on the couch about 5 minutes ago.. a 5 hour cat nap.

Taskers Gap was fun. The main trail is not too bad but rocky in places. Macon and I took a recon run up the alternate "black diamond" route.. and it was tough. Doable (from the bit we saw) for big DS bikes, but be prepared to sweat.. steep, loose and rocky. Wear mx boots if possible.

Pics - the mountain shot is overlook off Massanutten mtn. - looking west from single lane bridge over james between Penitentiaries - north end parking lot of taskers gap.

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #22811
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
So I have a wedding to attend in early June and planning on riding down since I won't have SO and kid with me. Not a lot of time, but I would like to leave straight from work around 4 on a Friday afternoon and get some hours in before I camp for the night. Then I can leave first thing Saturday morning to finish the trip off. Wedding is 6pm Saturday and I will stay over in hotel. Then Sunday morning I will ride straight through back to Richmond. Destination is
Okatie, SC 29909. So anyone know of decent route and campground?

Not my preferred part of the world to ride in, but I would like to make the most of it.
Really no reommendations?
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #22812
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Figured I'd give the local inmates a look before I put this up on Craigslist.

It's a Tippman 98 Custom paint ball gun. Everything you see is included.

Asking $50.00

Let me know if you're interested.

I'll take it if you pass on it as a deer gun. Or I can get you a great pellet gun for the deer.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #22813
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I'll take it if you pass on it as a deer gun. Or I can get you a great pellet gun for the deer.
Guy, sell it to him! I was only joking about buying it to shoot deer. Sorry that I confused everyone.

jeff

Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #22814
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,331
So I don't eat mushrooms. I don't know why as I've never even tasted a mushroom in my 35 years of life. I am interested in finding these Morel things though. Anyone point me in the right direction?!?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #22815
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
So I don't eat mushrooms. I don't know why as I've never even tasted a mushroom in my 35 years of life. I am interested in finding these Morel things though. Anyone point me in the right direction?!?
Chris, that is like asking on a public forum where to find moonshine. Anyone who loves morels, WILL NEVER tell you where their favorite areas are!

Given that, they are going to be exploding all over on our farm this week. They started coming up about 10 days ago for us at 2600ft. Our area has 3 distinct phases of shrooms in the spring. The tiny whites/greys always show first, with the blacks following closely. The last ones are the honey/browns and they are the largest and most prolific. Those will be popping this week.

Once they pop, they only last a day or so, so the season is over in a matter of weeks. Virginia started finding them several weeks ago, in fact we saw our first one along the Appomattox here in Ptown over 3 weeks ago.

So ride on out to visit us, or bring the whole family! We'll train you on the hunt and stalking techniques, and even show you how to cook them! My wife makes a killer fresh asparagus and morel risotto.

You can find more info on The Great Morel webpage They even have a forum like ADVrider with posting from various states and regions.

We now return you to your regular programming......

jeff