ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #22861
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
I've seen signs of melting, but never a failure from it. Mostly on my XR650R with the heavy duty tubes, I don't recall seeing the rubber balls on the regular tubes.

Probably more than the tube weight I think it was from running higway speeds with too low pressure which I did fairly often on that bike. still, the heavy duty tubes don't seem to last me or resist puncture any better than regular tubes, so I quit buying them. On the DR I've never seen the melt signs, but I keep the pressure up. (no rim locks)
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #22862
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Ride Planning ...

I've got a few days off in July that I want to spend on my bike. I've got several ideas in mind, but I'm hoping that one of you might have already undertaken one of them.

I'm contemplating taking the auto train down to Florida and then just picking my way back up home, staying on the coastline as much as possible. Checking out various places like Cape Canaveral, Savannah, various beaches, etc. Slide back up through Oracoke. Has anyone done this before, and is it worth a few days? I'm not looking for miles so much as just a nice ride. (And yes, I do like heat).

Another idea I had was to ride down the BRP, find The Snake, maybe Wheels Through Time, perhaps even head home up through West Virginia. (All pavement, by the way). The only thing about this option is that it will be the exact same scenery I always get riding around here. Just different roads.

So ... touristy coastal or hillbilly mountains? LOL!

Maybe I need to stare at the map some more and see if there are other options. :-)

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #22863
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I've got a few days off in July that I want to spend on my bike. I've got several ideas in mind, but I'm hoping that one of you might have already undertaken one of them.

I'm contemplating taking the auto train down to Florida and then just picking my way back up home, staying on the coastline as much as possible. Checking out various places like Cape Canaveral, Savannah, various beaches, etc. Slide back up through Oracoke. Has anyone done this before, and is it worth a few days? I'm not looking for miles so much as just a nice ride. (And yes, I do like heat).

Another idea I had was to ride down the BRP, find The Snake, maybe Wheels Through Time, perhaps even head home up through West Virginia. (All pavement, by the way). The only thing about this option is that it will be the exact same scenery I always get riding around here. Just different roads.

Maybe I need to stare at the map some more and see if there are other options. :-)
I crossed from the Gulf to the East Coast of FL, and drove all the way up the coast to VA with minimal interstate a number of years ago. It was a nice trip. I would have really enjoyed it on a bike, as opposed to a Cadillac.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #22864
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations or feelings on who to stay away from as far as Roadside Assistance programs? I have my bike insured with USAA and they do not offer Roadside Assistance. I would prefer not to change insurers. I just got quotes from 4 other companies and I am substantially cheaper with USAA. If I leave I won't be able to get back on them.

I am more interested in the quality and speed of the service than I am with the price.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
I have progressive, but I've never used it. Also have AMA Mo-Tow, or whatever it's called.

From what I've heard, they all stink. The only one that's supposed to OK is AAA, and then you have to buy the RV package to get your motorcycle covered.

I have a love/hate relationship with USAA. Love them for everything except motorcycle insurance. They were the first to sign up for the Dansforth "Bullet Bike" bill in the early '80s. Also, they were really overpriced in Germany. I found local insurance much cheaper. Can't beat their service, though.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #22865
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Patches of the East Coast are turning squishy and crunchy with the return of the 17-year cicadas. Spots from GA to CT will soon be carpeted in bugs, and the air will hum with a 7 kHz mating buzz...

Cicadas gently crunching under my knobby tires...
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #22866
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:

I agree with your coastal plan. Like ddlewis told jwray, Hwy 17 is a nice relaxing ride. Teresa and I came home from Atlanta one time, starting in Savannah, then jumped up to Charleston, from there took 17 all the way back, Thru Camp Lejuen, Ocracoke, Hatteras, and up the OBX. Not very twisty. Very flat. But pleasantly rural and relaxing. Did a ghost tour pub crawl in Savannah which was a hoot. Downloaded a bunch of geo-caches and found those all along the way. I think we took 3 days from Savannah to come home.

Coastal A1A in Florida gets tiring really quickly. Not too much unspoiled coast, but a LOT of tourist crap, traffic and stoplights. You really can't find a continuous coastal road in Ga east of I-95, but there might be something on the west side.

The better riding is the second option you mentioned, but sometimes it's nice to see something different. We loved our trip up the coast. YMMV.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #22867
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I have progressive, but I've never used it. Also have AMA Mo-Tow, or whatever it's called.

From what I've heard, they all stink. The only one that's supposed to OK is AAA, and then you have to buy the RV package to get your motorcycle covered.

I have a love/hate relationship with USAA. Love them for everything except motorcycle insurance. They were the first to sign up for the Dansforth "Bullet Bike" bill in the early '80s. Also, they were really overpriced in Germany. I found local insurance much cheaper. Can't beat their service, though.
I have heard they all stink also. That was what started the whole thing. I had German insurance while I was there and switched back to USAA right before I PCSd so I could keep it here. I really just want something that will tow it and keep it someplace safe until I can make other arrangements.

I get frustrated with USAA at times then I hear stories about other companies and figure they are the lesser evil.

They aren't the same company that they were when they were 25% the size they are now. I guess it was inevitable.

The Nationwide guy at Earth Day wanted to give me a quote. I told him I really wasn't interested and he asked who I was insured with. When I told him USAA he just walked away.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #22868
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff munn View Post
i agree with your coastal plan. Like ddlewis told jwray, hwy 17 is a nice relaxing ride. Teresa and i came home from atlanta one time, starting in savannah, then jumped up to charleston, from there took 17 all the way back, thru camp lejuen, ocracoke, hatteras, and up the obx. Not very twisty. Very flat. But pleasantly rural and relaxing. Did a ghost tour pub crawl in savannah which was a hoot. Downloaded a bunch of geo-caches and found those all along the way. I think we took 3 days from savannah to come home.

Coastal a1a in florida gets tiring really quickly. Not too much unspoiled coast, but a lot of tourist crap, traffic and stoplights. You really can't find a continuous coastal road in ga east of i-95, but there might be something on the west side.

The better riding is the second option you mentioned, but sometimes it's nice to see something different. We loved our trip up the coast. Ymmv.

Jeff
+1 Wife and I did the same thing last year coming back from Hilton Head. We also took a day in St Augustine. Wished we had more time there. We finished up with 3 days at Atlantic Beach and toured Ft Macon (Macon is my given name) http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/foma/main.php. Then took the ferry across to Ocracoke, Hatteras, Nags Head, Manteo and back roads to Powhatan. Very relaxing trip.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #22869
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
+1 Wife and I did the same thing last year coming back from Hilton Head. We also took a day in St Augustine. Wished we had more time there. We finished up with 3 days at Atlantic Beach and toured Ft Macon (Macon is my given name) http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/foma/main.php. Then took the ferry across to Ocracoke, Hatteras, Nags Head, Manteo and back roads to Powhatan. Very relaxing trip.
Guy told me you go by Mickey, but that your name is Macon. You ever met another Macon?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #22870
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:

I thought you were heading down to Nashville or something?

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #22871
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
So it would seem that a lot of us have been getting some good riding in. Cheers to that!

SanK and I just got back from a 2-night camping trip like we planned. Here are a bunch of pictures. A lot of good stuff was missed by the camera but I managed to capture some of the beauty of the place. Not too much off roading this trip but there were plenty of great paved roads to enjoy. It was nice to get back to my property as well. There were a couple of tense moments but nothing crazy, and plenty of laughs to go around. I think I'm going back in a couple of weeks. The cascades were definitely the highlight of the trip, we both agreed. The entire lower trail leading up to the main event was surreal, almost magical. Probably the most beautiful place I've ever been (for my tastes).

Here's a direct link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/19ZJu#0

We did just about 600 miles over a long weekend. Not a bad little trip.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #22872
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 77
Quote:

Several times I've done what I call the beach tour going south along the coast taking the nc ferries and hitting different coastal towns and camp grounds along the way to the keys. I found that off season in fall, late fall or early spring was best for this because the people and restaurants along the way are less likely to treat you as yet-one-more-tourist.

I've had several enjoyable rides up from florida panhandle/Alabama by sneaking west of atlanta and then getting to the foothills in georgia, then go up on the western side of the blue ridge. Most of the tourists will be hitting the east side. There are a lot of quaint towns on that side. I'd favor this ride in the springtime or summer.

Never done the autotrain. Supposed to be very nice and is on my to do list. Wish they would pick up bikes in Ashland.

Happy riding!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #22873
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 530
Ordered this a Acerbis Koerta Roost Deflector in XXL black on black.

http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Koerta...2C+XX-Large%29

Those europeans must be tiny...since XXL is not going to fit me well.

I like it and will likely get a bigger one. But I am going to bust out of this one. I am 5'10 240 if you want to compare sizes. My gut is the issue.

Paid 144

If I return it my refund will be about $130 after shipping.

If you want one and want it now, will pay cash and will come pick it up it is yours for 130 firm.

Otherwise I will have amazon issue a call tag for it.

PM me and you can come try it on.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #22874
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
Quote:

have done both routes, from Daytona Beach north on A1A and 17 along the coast. Also the BRP down to Maggie Valley and looped back north and east thru TN,KY and WV. Best ride-- mountains

you have to zig inland in GA & SC due to the swamps and it will be HOT in July on the coast The coast trip can be fun, but do it in the fall when the weather breaks and the tourist are gone. or early spring before the heat and tourist
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map

freaking RT screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 05:16 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #22875
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
You can find more info on The Great Morel webpage They even have a forum like ADVrider with posting from various states and regions.

jeff
cool link
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote