ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #22906
Defaultgateway
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Shortpump, Va.
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
From what I read, it prints with ABS or something called PLA.
j-
recently I have been making prototype molds for ductile iron/cast iron foundry molds using RP (rapid prototype) technology and pouring the molds here in Richmond. I model the part or modify the parts in one of several solid moldeling programs. Then the part is "subtracted" from a suitable size block creating a void in the block that exactly replicating the model, but scaled up about 2% bigger than the real part to allow for shrinkage. The rp machine uses sand and a urethane binder to make the mold, that's good because the metal temperature is between 1400 and 1900 deg. F !
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #22907
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ
 
SnoreMachine's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Richmond VA
Oddometer: 75
Hurray! Sold my HD Ultra today.

The search continues. I sat on an honda st1300, and didn't like it. Same with an fjr. Nice bikes, I just don't fit them. Also sat on a few BMW 1600 gtl, and while it may be in my future, just not working for me right now. I sat on some K bikes and same reaction.

I saw a 2006 BMW 1200 RT that I liked. Any maintenance or other issues to be aware with this bike? Two issues that I've seen discussed are (1) "whizzy" servo brakes and (2) the dreaded final drive. I am also looking at a 2008 model ($$ more) and of course the new model ($$$$). I might take a test ride on a few 1200RT models in the next few days, so please let me know what issues to be aware of.

BTW- drove the f800gs back from Pennsylvania with the scott's steering stabilizer installed. MUCH improved, especially over 70mph and in rapid accelerations (60 to something faster).

Thanks for your help!
__________________
“Things just happen in the right way, at the right time. At least when you let them” ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #22908
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post
j-
recently I have been making prototype molds for ductile iron/cast iron foundry molds using RP (rapid prototype) technology and pouring the molds here in Richmond. I model the part or modify the parts in one of several solid moldeling programs. Then the part is "subtracted" from a suitable size block creating a void in the block that exactly replicating the model, but scaled up about 2% bigger than the real part to allow for shrinkage. The rp machine uses sand and a urethane binder to make the mold, that's good because the metal temperature is between 1400 and 1900 deg. F !
I assume with the binder, the mold is still single use like most sand casts? I'll admit Btb got me pretty interested in the 3d printers and whatnot by posting that link. I remember doing some plastic welding with ABS as part of a welding class in college and thinking that it was really cool. I hadn't considered being able to work with thermo plastics like that before.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #22909
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,933
stupid farkles

I guess I've fallen prey to farklitis on my dl650. I have barkbusters for it on the way in the mail and then last night ordered a fork brace and peg lowering kit. Last night was really caused by reading another thread about do ergos and discovering there was a fairly cheap peg lowering solution. It just happens the same vendor makes a fork brace and well, I've read lots of reviews of them and everyone says they make a bit a difference on the DL so I went ahead and bit the bullet. You would think 4 years after buying the bike I wouldn't be buying too many new odds and ends. I'm thinking with these few things, there just isn't much left to do to it but tires oil and gas.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #22910
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I guess I've fallen prey to farklitis on my dl650. I have barkbusters for it on the way in the mail and then last night ordered a fork brace and peg lowering kit. Last night was really caused by reading another thread about do ergos and discovering there was a fairly cheap peg lowering solution. It just happens the same vendor makes a fork brace and well, I've read lots of reviews of them and everyone says they make a bit a difference on the DL so I went ahead and bit the bullet. You would think 4 years after buying the bike I wouldn't be buying too many new odds and ends. I'm thinking with these few things, there just isn't much left to do to it but tires oil and gas.
There is plenty left to do. How many wind shields do you have?
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #22911
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
There is plenty left to do. How many wind shields do you have?
Shhhh, I'm one of those deviants that didn't buy 10 windshields or a madstad. I only have one windshield and it is covered in bug guts.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #22912
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Shhhh, I'm one of those deviants that didn't buy 10 windshields or a madstad. I only have one windshield and it is covered in bug guts.
I only have four but no Mastadt. You must at least have one tall for winter and a short sport for hot summer. I would post pictures but only have a 1X phone data connection.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #22913
REAPER_ONE
Done
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Nice Brenda. I was all stoked to do this when it was posted the other day until I saw Thursday at 13:00 which I can't do. I will instead pay $1 for every bridge Brenda goes over or under or $60 should the number of bridges be less than last year.

EDIT* Reading that again I see now that Brenda is pledging and not riding. I will pledge my support to a rider in need of more pledges.
Thanks buddy. I will make you proud... And hopefully see some road you haven't ridden through.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #22914
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,688
Shop Open House Saturday

Aimless plug for a friend shop in the Lanexa area off Forge Road. They are having an open house this Saturday. Dogs and Burgers. I know they do motorcycle inspections, have a NoMar tire changer and do custom work. I put their Facebook link below. A few guys opened a shop with their passion. If I can get away Saturday I plan to stop by for a look. Tell Robert, Mike said hello.

White Oak Customs
7635 White Oak Drive
Lanexa, VA

The address is correct but I am told you have to drive down past the house to the shop around back. They have all their permits. They can get whatever you need.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteOakCustoms
__________________


Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 03:31 AM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #22915
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 723
Just posting this up again. Not tomorrow, but next Friday I will be heading to the mountains to ride. I will be camping for a bachelor weekend with friends, but will probably ride from Friday morning till the afternoon before I head to meet up with them. If anyone would like to ride out together and hit some of the dirt out there let me know. We will just need to branch off sometime in the afternoon. I will be on the WR, obviously.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #22916
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
This is some serious nice weather today.... I think this work ethic's stuff is over rated... at least I can look out the window... :(

However, lunch time rides around the river rock, especially if ya take a bit longer lunch than normal
__________________

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #22917
manganos
Let me pontificate.
 
manganos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 3,332
I spy guy on 895
__________________
sponsored motorcycle rider
manganos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #22918
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 723
Got all my gear in for next weekend. I'm happy with how small it all packs. If the sleeping bag had a true compression sack it would pack even smaller.



__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #22919
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Got all my gear in for next weekend. I'm happy with how small it all packs. If the sleeping bag had a true compression sack it would pack even smaller.
Great weather for camping lately. Enjoy yourself and be safe! Sorry I can't join ya!
__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #22920
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I spy guy on 895
LOL!

Caught in the act.

Ran over to Ken's to get the KLR inspected. Noticed this morning that it expired at the end of last month. Figured I'd get it done when I had a chance.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014