ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #22936
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Anyone planning to attend Morton's BMW Spring Fling in Natural Bridge,VA next weekend? I plan to head down sometime Friday afternoon, May 17th and tent camp at the Natural Bridge KOA in the meadow. Let me know if you want to ride down together. I just want to get there in time to check in at the Rally and Campground and make it to the Beer and Brats Bash Friday evening.

http://www.mortonsbmw.com/springfling_2013.html

http://www.naturalbridgekoa.com/
I may get a little ride in Sunday after working in the yard Friday and Saturday switching over to warm grass zoysia
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #22937
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
See ya there Greg
Cool!! I'll bring CIGARS...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #22938
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I'm heading down Friday as well. I was thinking about meeting up with the group leaving from Mortons. But that would mean riding north to go south west. LOL! They're leaving at (I think) 10am. But I could easily be persuaded to leave later.
I'm committed to helping a fellow inmate get some sod with my pickem up truck that morning and will hopefully be back and ready to head to NB by early afternoon. If that works for you maybe we could meet just west of Richmond. Otherwise, it won't hurt my feelings if you want to leave early to get more riding in...I'll just catch up with you guys at the Rally.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #22939
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I guess I've fallen prey to farklitis on my dl650. I have barkbusters for it on the way in the mail and then last night ordered a fork brace and peg lowering kit. Last night was really caused by reading another thread about do ergos and discovering there was a fairly cheap peg lowering solution. It just happens the same vendor makes a fork brace and well, I've read lots of reviews of them and everyone says they make a bit a difference on the DL so I went ahead and bit the bullet. You would think 4 years after buying the bike I wouldn't be buying too many new odds and ends. I'm thinking with these few things, there just isn't much left to do to it but tires oil and gas.
Never say never............

I've had my KLR since Jan. or '03, immediately loaded it with "stuff," and still adding from time to time.

Just ordered a bunch of suspension stuff for it today.

You ride a bike for a long time, 48K in my case, but you can always find room for improvement. Hopefully, what I ordered today will help in the suspension department.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #22940
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
I may get a little ride in Sunday after working in the yard Friday and Saturday switching over to warm grass zoysia
Gotcha covered Bro. We'll get that sod early in order that you can plant while the sun shines.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #22941
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Never say never............

I've had my KLR since Jan. or '03, immediately loaded it with "stuff," and still adding from time to time.

Just ordered a bunch of suspension stuff for it today.

You ride a bike for a long time, 48K in my case, but you can always find room for improvement. Hopefully, what I ordered today will help in the suspension department.

True. I find I love that bike more now than I did when I bought it. My biggest complaint is how badly my knees hurt from being bent so much. When I found out about the peg lowering kit I didn't hesitate. Truth is, I might piddle at one thing or another, but I think all the big stuff is done. All that is left is shocks, springs, valve emulators, windshields, windshield brackets, upgraded brake calipers, aftermarket exhaust, side cases.... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

No, I'm not going to do hardly any of that stuff. It is a DL650. Maybe the springs and shock when the stock shock dies.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #22942
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 545
If you go here...http://earthengine.google.org/#intro/LasVegas.then move to richmond and focus on the training grounds (you may have to zoom your browser in as well) you will see in the not too distant past it was bare to the west of the chippenham!!!

Must have been a sand pit (unless there was a demand for sticky nasty mud since they seem to have a bunch of it).

Amazing to see the growth around the area.

R
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #22943
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I hope to leave after getting the kids on the school bus at 0800 on Friday so that I can get in a full day of saddle time in before the Beer and Brats dinner! I also want to pre-ride the "official" DS route on Friday.

I didn't back from the BMW PC last night until almost midnight. Being away from work and getting (my first) an opportunity to really push a F800GS hard both on and off-road is always a good thing. The 800 continues to impress me! (now if BMW would just double the weight of the flywheel we'd make HUGE progress!) We rode some amazing roads and I made some new friends. I will get some pictures posted up soon.

This was going on down there yesterday as well...super cool! Tricked out, and LOUD, Vipers, Nissan GTR's, Astons, Porsches and a bunch of other exotics and even hot rod Honda Odyssey! No I'm not kidding! (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/honda-odyssey-race-ready-with-523-hp.html)

One Lap of America: http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Check out the new F800GS "Adventure". It has a 50% bigger tank and some other testosterone filled off-road upgrades: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/856/16127/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Announces-2014-F800GS-Adventure.aspx
I'm planning on leaving the west end early (8 ish) for the rally. I'd love to pre-ride/check out the DS ride with you. I'm glad to hear you've gotten some time in on the 800. BTW, did you get the booster plug? I've had extended periods of low speed, bumpy riding where my right forearm gets tired from controlling the twitchy throttle. I'd eager to hear first hand how it works.

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get a tank bag rain cover locally? I just purchased a Wolfman Explorer Lite, but it doesn't come with one. And they want $19.99 plus shipping for it. (No thanks).

I just need something plastic/vinyl with either a gathering string or an elastic thingie to hold it in place. Like a giant waterproof hair net. LOL! I was going to use the one off the old tank bag, but it appears that the dude I sold/bought the bike from removed it.
Have you tried Amazon?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #22944
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
If you go here...http://earthengine.google.org/#intro/LasVegas.then move to richmond and focus on the training grounds (you may have to zoom your browser in as well) you will see in the not too distant past it was bare to the west of the chippenham!!!

Must have been a sand pit (unless there was a demand for sticky nasty mud since they seem to have a bunch of it).

Amazing to see the growth around the area.

R
Tell me about it.

Spent a good portion of the day cutting, trimming, and weed whacking trying to make the place somewhat presentable for the company coming in this w/e.

Think I'm gonna have to find a new drive belt for that "new to me" riding mower. Noticed it slipping the last time I used it a week or so ago, and started to get worse today. The PITA will probably be replacing it.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #22945
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Anyone know where I can get a tank bag rain cover locally? I just purchased a Wolfman Explorer Lite, but it doesn't come with one. And they want $19.99 plus shipping for it. (No thanks).

I just need something plastic/vinyl with either a gathering string or an elastic thingie to hold it in place. Like a giant waterproof hair net. LOL! I was going to use the one off the old tank bag, but it appears that the dude I sold/bought the bike from removed it.
Might have an old generic cover around here somewhere. If I can find it you can have it.

I keep a quart ziploc freezer bag inside the tank bag. Water sensitive stuff goes in that when it rains. Rest of the stuff - loose change, sunglasses, water bottle.. gets damp.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #22946
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Might have an old generic cover around here somewhere. If I can find it you can have it.

I keep a quart ziploc freezer bag inside the tank bag. Water sensitive stuff goes in that when it rains. Rest of the stuff - loose change, sunglasses, water bottle.. gets damp.
Doncha just hate it when water condenses on your lens from sitting in a damp tank bag?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #22947
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Moymurfs and I will be there too. Looking forward to the beer and brats.
Banshee and I will be heading out fri mid morning from the cabin.
I think it will be a six fiddy weekend.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #22948
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Cool!! I'll bring CIGARS...
Glad you reminded me! I will grab some
Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #22949
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

RTE tomorrow??

Even with everything else going on, I may be able to slip out of here long enough for a local RTE.

Any interest; thoughts?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #22950
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,692
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote