ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #22951
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
A few guys at the RTE the other day had not watched this yet.

Bill's new Beemer 1200GS
by: dtgoss32

Sorry for the double post but I just had to say that this was f'ing hilarious...

On the other hand I've seen ToddZacker effortlessly lead the pack on seriously rough and narrow mountain 2-track, me struggling to stay in second on my DRZ...

Again, it's the rider, not the bike! I still like the video though
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #22952
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey Burton. You can take the pad out of its bag and just get some straps to cinch it into a nice roll (and more straps to cinch to bike) then stuff your sleeping bag into the stuff sack from the pad. That bag the sleeping bag is in is for long term storage. THe bag is big to keep it fluffy as it is bad for it to be packed tightly long term. You may have another bag of some sort as well to stuff the sleeping bag in. When I first started backpacKing back in high school I used a true compression bag and then realized I didn't need a bag at all. I usually just stuff it into my pack in a void or around fragile bjects or around clinky noise pots or to keep the area against my bike soft. If you need a smaller stuff sack I may be able to come up with one you can borrow. The most important thing is safely packing everything onto your bike. You won't be able to see what is going on behind you right above that spinning wheel and chain. Make sure you have plenty of good straps and more in reserve. You can also borrow my Wolfman Enduro Saddle bags. I just have to get them back by the 23rd.
Thanks for all the help/tips! I think I will be good without the saddlebags. At least for this trip. Since I'm meeting people at the camp site in cars they will have the cook wear and food. I just need my tent, sleeping bag, pillow, some clothes, and tools. I put the camp stuff in my dry bag last night and still had a ton of room. I think I'll be good to throw what I need in that and bungee that and the tent to my rack. I may carry a back pack if need be.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #22953
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Well, my taste buds were really kinda set on Chinese, like the buffet at Hunan East - but - I am really on a mission to get a bunch of BBQ for the open house we're having here on Sunday for my daughter.

Hate to suggest two BBQ places in a row, but Alamo is where I think I will need to pick up what we need for Sunday. They're open on Sunday, so that would work out great.

The (my) option would be to eat at Hunan, then head to Alamo to make the arrangements for the Sunday pick-up.

These are only my suggestions. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open to any as long as it is local. I have family coming in on Friday afternoon and would kinda like to be here when they arrive.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #22954
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I'd love to pre-ride/check out the DS ride with you.
Great, PM me your cell number and you can pre-ride the run with me! If you do and don't mind, I might recruit you to help me if the crowd gets so big. I might have you lead a small group of riders on the route a few minutes after we leave. Do you have a GPS on your bike?

BTW, did you get the booster plug?
Yes, it make a very noticeable difference. WELL worth the $90 and it only takes 15 minutes to install. Highly recommended.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #22955
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post
j-
recently I have been making prototype molds for ductile iron/cast iron foundry molds using RP (rapid prototype) technology and pouring the molds here in Richmond. I model the part or modify the parts in one of several solid moldeling programs. Then the part is "subtracted" from a suitable size block creating a void in the block that exactly replicating the model, but scaled up about 2% bigger than the real part to allow for shrinkage. The rp machine uses sand and a urethane binder to make the mold, that's good because the metal temperature is between 1400 and 1900 deg. F !
SHRINKAGE factors between iron, and other materials are moot, and to carry it further, unless the crossectional thickness exceedes 3", vertical vs horizontal dims differ on "shrinkage".(when it comes to castings..).. I been doing this $#i+ for 40 years, sometimes there is no simple answer...

due diligence onthe mfg floor will telll wherere adjustments are needed....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #22956
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,131
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Well, my taste buds were really kinda set on Chinese, like the buffet at Hunan East - but - I am really on a mission to get a bunch of BBQ for the open house we're having here on Sunday for my daughter.

Hate to suggest two BBQ places in a row, but Alamo is where I think I will need to pick up what we need for Sunday. They're open on Sunday, so that would work out great.

The (my) option would be to eat at Hunan, then head to Alamo to make the arrangements for the Sunday pick-up.

These are only my suggestions. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open to any as long as it is local. I have family coming in on Friday afternoon and would kinda like to be here when they arrive.

you are having a b-b-q.... on sunday?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I gotta getoutta town.....
seriously......
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #22957
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,008
Shock preload nut tool- Spanner

I am trying to remove the shock on a 99' DR350 and the damn lock nut will not budge. I am using a hammer and a wide flat head screwdriver ground to an angle for more surface area so it does not bugger up the nut. I have done this before on other bikes with no trouble, but this one is very tight or seized. Anyone have one of those specialty spanner wrenches or anything that will help me get it loose? I have a lot of work to do on this bike in the next two weeks and I need to pull this shock out ASAP. I am going to look for my mini sledge hammer now and give it a go, but I don't want to be wacking it much harder. If anyone has a tool or some ideas please let me know.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #22958
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
I am trying to remove the shock on a 99' DR350 and the damn lock nut will not budge. I am using a hammer and a wide flat head screwdriver ground to an angle for more surface area so it does not bugger up the nut. I have done this before on other bikes with no trouble, but this one is very tight or seized. Anyone have one of those specialty spanner wrenches or anything that will help me get it loose? I have a lot of work to do on this bike in the next two weeks and I need to pull this shock out ASAP. I am going to look for my mini sledge hammer now and give it a go, but I don't want to be wacking it much harder. If anyone has a tool or some ideas please let me know.
Maybe alittle heat would persuade it....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #22959
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Yeah, I'd suggest alternating with heat, tapping on the nut, and some kind of penetrant like PB Blaster.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #22960
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
You could always cut it off with one of those nut splitters.. probably not too hard to find another nut to fit and just use loctite.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #22961
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,120
Using heat around the body of a gas filled shock is not something you want to do.

A bigger hammer, a real punch, and PB Blaster will eventually break it loose.

Quote:
I am trying to remove the shock on a 99' DR350 and the damn lock nut will not budge.
You are talking about the pre-load adjuster, right?
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #22962
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,068
I would think heat on the end opposite the gas chamber would be fine. I don't think he is talking about the pre load adjuster but the nuts at the top and bottom of the shock.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #22963
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
Hey Guys mark your calendars!!!!!!!! AMA Pro Flat Track is coming to Colonial Downs Aug. 24th

http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/event...eid=2013021362

AMA Pro Racing Adds Colonial Downs to 2013 AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles Schedule

April 15, 2013

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 15, 2013) – Officials from AMA Pro Racing announced today the addition of Colonial Downs to the 2013 AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles schedule. The circuit, which measures in at just over a mile, will feature the stars of the rolling thunder show on August 24, 2013 as Round 12 and brings the total number of mile races on the schedule to six. The race will mark the first time in the storied history of the Grand National Championship that the series will visit Colonial Downs, located in New Kent, Virginia.

“We’re thrilled to bring our series to the legendary Colonial Downs race track,” said Dan Johnsen, Director of AMA Pro Flat Track. “We are very proud to add a venue of this caliber to our schedule. Our riders will now have one more opportunity to battle for position in the point standings and also allows us to showcase our magnificent sport to a new market hungry for flat track racing.”

The AMA Pro Grand National Experts will roll out their twin-engine machines on the last Saturday of August as Colonial Downs is one of the largest dirt tracks in the United States, coming in at 1.25 miles. The rising stars in the J&P Cycles Pro Singles will have their skills put to the ultimate test in late August aboard their 450cc machines, in a race which will surely come down to the wire.

For tickets and more information regarding the AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles event scheduled for August 24, 2013 at Colonial Downs, please visit http://www.colonialdowns.com/.

About AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles:
AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles is a national motorcycle racing series in North America and is considered one of the oldest forms of motorcycle racing. Sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing, the Series is highly regarded as the most competitive form of dirt track racing in the world. The 2013 schedule consists of rounds on the country’s finest flat track courses. For more information on AMA Pro Flat Track presented by J&P Cycles, please visit http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/.

About AMA Pro Racing:

AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #22964
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Using heat around the body of a gas filled shock is not something you want to do.

A bigger hammer, a real punch, and PB Blaster will eventually break it loose.

You are talking about the pre-load adjuster, right?
d'oh.. I think you're right.. When I said nut-splitter, thought he meant the mounting point nuts.

yeah definitely don't cut off the preload adjusters.

ddlewis screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 05:42 AM
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #22965
ddlewis
squirrel

tire balancing beads

finally put my money where my nay-saying mouth is and bought some ceramic balance beads. They are knock-offs, $1.70/oz on ebay. I think dr.Whipit may be on to something with the bead blasting media theory.

put 1oz in the front and 2 in the rear last night.. we shall see.