ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #23026
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post


Good Work dude... I am taking my daughter out there this to get some practice on her little ktm... saturday.. hopefully no rain.
__________________

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #23027
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
I had an interesting ride this weekend. My Dad died a year and a half ago and he was a big mountian biker. He was active in riding and races up until the year he died. His riding buddy has started a memorial race in Hungry Mother State Park. It was held last weekend. This is the winner.

This guy showed up last year with his bike on the back of a motorcycle, he's something. It rained like crazy and the trails and creeks were full of runoff.

He wasn't the fella, but did run into one up in PA last fall coming back from a rally:





.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #23028
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Whitfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Chesterfield Co
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
I had an interesting ride this weekend. My Dad died a year and a half ago and he was a big mountian biker. He was active in riding and races up until the year he died. His riding buddy has started a memorial race in Hungry Mother State Park. It was held last weekend. This is the winner.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252271744853999/
57 Mile MTB race thru the Mtns of VA... THAT is hardcore!!!! Sounds like an incredible race. Any recollection of their finish times?

Riding Clean-up Looks like XR / KTM / KDX heaven.

??? What a few riders are still missing guess we need to make a second lap.... Ok I'll volunteer
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #23029
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
This RTE thing is hurting my profile picture...... durrrrrr.....
__________________

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #23030
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Here's good video of some of the single track I found later in the ride. Took 14 hours to upload so enjoy it, damnit!


__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #23031
freaking RT
will golf for food
 
freaking RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: just outside Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 30,324
interesting read,

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
__________________
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous


WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #23032
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,462
cool vid! I go back there a lot, it's only a mile or three from my house. Anytime you see me refer to chesterX that's usually what I'm talking about. There's a house back in there, up on the bluff overlooking 95. Don't get too close to him, he'll call the police.

That area heats up from time to time, just like the TG. Gets too popular and then police start watching it. Unlike the TG there is no where good to park, that's why it doesn't tend to get as busy since mostly only dual-sports and locals go back there. If you park a truck/trailer right on Coxendale you're a sitting duck.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #23033
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Here's good video of some of the single track I found later in the ride. Took 14 hours to upload so enjoy it, damnit!


That hill at the 15 minute mark almost killed me cause I blasted up it not knowing it was going to drop right back down into that mud pit.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #23034
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
That hill at the 15 minute mark almost killed me cause I blasted up it not knowing it was going to drop right back down into that mud pit.
Yeah, almost got pretty hairy for me in that spot as well but I fared ok. Later I tried to do the big hill climb where there was no path, and the tall grass had me sliding all over the place. That fall was almost as funny as my endo into the creek, but I didn't get it on camera unfortunately.
__________________
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #23035
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Yeah, almost got pretty hairy for me in that spot as well but I fared ok. Later I tried to do the big hill climb where there was no path, and the tall grass had me sliding all over the place. That fall was almost as funny as my endo into the creek, but I didn't get it on camera unfortunately.
Nice! I wish I had of run up that hill more than the one time I did to leave. It was a nice hit to jump. Next time.

I also met a guy out there on a KTM 505. Just as I was leaving. My gas light was on, but I followed him across the street to the other trails for a few minutes. When I got gas at wawa he came jumping up out of the woods. The trails lead right to wawa. I guess that's good for guys that don't have street legal bikes.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:19 AM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #23036
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 741
I think I'm going to pick up these tire irons. Are they the right size? Or is there a better option?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...=pd_sbs_auto_3

Or maybe the 8 1/2"

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...term=tire+iron
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #23037
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void
 
bastardbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: North Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I think I'm going to pick up these tire irons. Are they the right size? Or is there a better option?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...=pd_sbs_auto_3
Those are the exact ones I got. The hooked ends really help a lot, and they're long enough to get plenty of leverage at 11". For that reason I don't recommend the 8"s. I also don't find that you need more than 2 irons to change a tire though some people say they prefer 3. Check your pms btw.
__________________

bastardbiker screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #23038
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jwray76's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: East End RVA
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Those are the exact ones I got. The hooked ends really help a lot, and they're long enough to get plenty of leverage at 11". For that reason I don't recommend the 8"s. I also don't find that you need more than 2 irons to change a tire though some people say they prefer 3. Check your pms btw.
If you want to pick something up in the store I grabbed these at Northern Tool a couple years ago. Work very nicely.
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-32110.../dp/B009B7A3VY
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #23039
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I think I'm going to pick up these tire irons. Are they the right size? Or is there a better option?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...=pd_sbs_auto_3

Or maybe the 8 1/2"

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...term=tire+iron
I've got, and carry, the Motion Pro T-6 Combo tools that have appropriately sized axle nut box wrenches (for the KLR) on one end, and spoons on the other. They're approx. 9" in length. Quite frankly, if you need anything longer than that you're not using the correct technique and risk damaging the bead.

Prior to my getting those, all my irons were in the 8-1/2" range and they did just fine. Those were steel, and the MP tools are aluminum.......... very light and rugged.

My .02................

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #23040
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I've got, and carry, the Motion Pro T-6 Combo tools that have appropriately sized axle nut box wrenches (for the KLR) on one end, and spoons on the other. They're approx. 9" in length. Quite frankly, if you need anything longer than that you're not using the correct technique and risk damaging the bead.

Prior to my getting those, all my irons were in the 8-1/2" range and they did just fine. Those were steel, and the MP tools are aluminum.......... very light and rugged.

My .02................

.
Thanks Guy. I posted the 11" because I didn't see the 8 1/2's by them self, but I found them.

Edit: Just placed my order. Got an electric pump. Hope the previous owners hook up still works for that and the car charger I just bought. Otherwise I'm out of luck for this weekend. Was hoping to run My Tracks or Mavrick in the mountains. Well, if they even ship it to me in time.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:50 AM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014