ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #23026
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Good Work dude... I am taking my daughter out there this to get some practice on her little ktm... saturday.. hopefully no rain.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #23027
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
I had an interesting ride this weekend. My Dad died a year and a half ago and he was a big mountian biker. He was active in riding and races up until the year he died. His riding buddy has started a memorial race in Hungry Mother State Park. It was held last weekend. This is the winner.

This guy showed up last year with his bike on the back of a motorcycle, he's something. It rained like crazy and the trails and creeks were full of runoff.

He wasn't the fella, but did run into one up in PA last fall coming back from a rally:

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #23028
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
I had an interesting ride this weekend. My Dad died a year and a half ago and he was a big mountian biker. He was active in riding and races up until the year he died. His riding buddy has started a memorial race in Hungry Mother State Park. It was held last weekend. This is the winner.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252271744853999/
57 Mile MTB race thru the Mtns of VA... THAT is hardcore!!!! Sounds like an incredible race. Any recollection of their finish times?

Riding Clean-up Looks like XR / KTM / KDX heaven.

??? What a few riders are still missing guess we need to make a second lap.... Ok I'll volunteer
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #23029
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
This RTE thing is hurting my profile picture...... durrrrrr.....

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #23030
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Here's good video of some of the single track I found later in the ride. Took 14 hours to upload so enjoy it, damnit!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #23031
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,324
interesting read,

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #23032
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,462
cool vid! I go back there a lot, it's only a mile or three from my house. Anytime you see me refer to chesterX that's usually what I'm talking about. There's a house back in there, up on the bluff overlooking 95. Don't get too close to him, he'll call the police.

That area heats up from time to time, just like the TG. Gets too popular and then police start watching it. Unlike the TG there is no where good to park, that's why it doesn't tend to get as busy since mostly only dual-sports and locals go back there. If you park a truck/trailer right on Coxendale you're a sitting duck.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #23033
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Here's good video of some of the single track I found later in the ride. Took 14 hours to upload so enjoy it, damnit!

That hill at the 15 minute mark almost killed me cause I blasted up it not knowing it was going to drop right back down into that mud pit.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #23034
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
That hill at the 15 minute mark almost killed me cause I blasted up it not knowing it was going to drop right back down into that mud pit.
Yeah, almost got pretty hairy for me in that spot as well but I fared ok. Later I tried to do the big hill climb where there was no path, and the tall grass had me sliding all over the place. That fall was almost as funny as my endo into the creek, but I didn't get it on camera unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #23035
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, almost got pretty hairy for me in that spot as well but I fared ok. Later I tried to do the big hill climb where there was no path, and the tall grass had me sliding all over the place. That fall was almost as funny as my endo into the creek, but I didn't get it on camera unfortunately.
Nice! I wish I had of run up that hill more than the one time I did to leave. It was a nice hit to jump. Next time.

I also met a guy out there on a KTM 505. Just as I was leaving. My gas light was on, but I followed him across the street to the other trails for a few minutes. When I got gas at wawa he came jumping up out of the woods. The trails lead right to wawa. I guess that's good for guys that don't have street legal bikes.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #23036
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

I think I'm going to pick up these tire irons. Are they the right size? Or is there a better option?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...=pd_sbs_auto_3

Or maybe the 8 1/2"

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...term=tire+iron
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #23037
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Quote:
I think I'm going to pick up these tire irons. Are they the right size? Or is there a better option?

Those are the exact ones I got. The hooked ends really help a lot, and they're long enough to get plenty of leverage at 11". For that reason I don't recommend the 8"s. I also don't find that you need more than 2 irons to change a tire though some people say they prefer 3. Check your pms btw.

bastardbiker screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:14 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #23038
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Those are the exact ones I got. The hooked ends really help a lot, and they're long enough to get plenty of leverage at 11". For that reason I don't recommend the 8"s. I also don't find that you need more than 2 irons to change a tire though some people say they prefer 3. Check your pms btw.
If you want to pick something up in the store I grabbed these at Northern Tool a couple years ago. Work very nicely.
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-32110.../dp/B009B7A3VY
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #23039
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:

Or maybe the 8 1/2"

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...term=tire+iron
I've got, and carry, the Motion Pro T-6 Combo tools that have appropriately sized axle nut box wrenches (for the KLR) on one end, and spoons on the other. They're approx. 9" in length. Quite frankly, if you need anything longer than that you're not using the correct technique and risk damaging the bead.

Prior to my getting those, all my irons were in the 8-1/2" range and they did just fine. Those were steel, and the MP tools are aluminum.......... very light and rugged.

My .02................

Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #23040
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I've got, and carry, the Motion Pro T-6 Combo tools that have appropriately sized axle nut box wrenches (for the KLR) on one end, and spoons on the other. They're approx. 9" in length. Quite frankly, if you need anything longer than that you're not using the correct technique and risk damaging the bead.

Prior to my getting those, all my irons were in the 8-1/2" range and they did just fine. Those were steel, and the MP tools are aluminum.......... very light and rugged.

My .02................

Thanks Guy. I posted the 11" because I didn't see the 8 1/2's by them self, but I found them.

Edit: Just placed my order. Got an electric pump. Hope the previous owners hook up still works for that and the car charger I just bought. Otherwise I'm out of luck for this weekend. Was hoping to run My Tracks or Mavrick in the mountains. Well, if they even ship it to me in time.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:50 AM