ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #23041
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Quite frankly, if you need anything longer than that you're not using the correct technique and risk damaging the bead.

Well I've changed probably 4 sets of tires with mine and never had an issue. Just sayin'... I'd rather the job be easier and use longer levers.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #23042
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Well I've changed probably 4 sets of tires with mine and never had an issue. Just sayin'... I'd rather the job be easier and use longer levers.
Could you have done the same job(s) using shorter irons...... and minimized the temptation to use undo force when it really wasn't needed??

Also, just sayin'.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #23043
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Nice Video ~ I've been to that same spot where the trail dead ends / crosses the tracks. My bald rear Metz Karoo will get me that far but the hill on the other side looked like it needed more traction then I had to offer.

Back behind ans just south of the Wawa is the old sand pit with an entirely new set of single track awesomeness. There used to be a few trails around the eastern edge of Mores lake (And a DEAD HARLEY TOPPER SCOOTER). 15 yrs ago we parked at Skate land (with permission). Last year most guys were parking behind NAPA ~ but it is still risky.

I have my new IRC GP1 rear tire ready and waiting. I guess after 25+ yrs it's time to get in on this tire iron thing. Defiantly looking for dual purpose & pack-able.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #23044
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Could you have done the same job(s) using shorter irons...... and minimized the temptation to use undo force when it really wasn't needed??

Also, just sayin'.

Could I have? Sure. But I sweat enough already when swapping rubber out. I just wouldn't say that it's a indicator of incorrect technique. The length of your irons (especially not a difference of 2.5") probably isn't going to be what a marred bead or ripped carcass hinges upon. If the tire really doesn't want to go where you're telling it to, you should probably back off, short irons or long. Even an idiot like me can figure that out.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #23045
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Nice Video ~ I've been to that same spot where the trail dead ends / crosses the tracks. My bald rear Metz Karoo will get me that far but the hill on the other side looked like it needed more traction then I had to offer.

Back behind ans just south of the Wawa is the old sand pit with an entirely new set of single track awesomeness. There used to be a few trails around the eastern edge of Mores lake (And a DEAD HARLEY TOPPER SCOOTER). 15 yrs ago we parked at Skate land (with permission). Last year most guys were parking behind NAPA ~ but it is still risky.

I have my new IRC GP1 rear tire ready and waiting. I guess after 25+ yrs it's time to get in on this tire iron thing. Defiantly looking for dual purpose & pack-able.
You have some pretty detailed knowledge of my old stomping grounds. Moores lake, FFS!

That old sand pit has been there a loong time. Rode bicycles and mini bikes there in the 70's and it was well established then. Still go back there from time to time
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #23046
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:

Also, just sayin'.

I think I have the 11 inch set. I was going to buy some T6 irons but at 30 bucks each I was too cheap and decided on a combo wrench that had both F/R axle sizes and my trusty old 11inch motion pro irons. I find that the most important thing for me to change tires is some kind of lube. I had some armorall silicone spray I was putting on the beads but can't find the bottle after I moved. With the lube, I had beads seating at 15 psi on the back of the DL with a hand pump. Also didn't have anywhere near us much trouble getting them off later.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #23047
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,850
Anyone locally have an 1150GS (non ADV) stock single seat or custom they want to sell
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #23048
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I think I have the 11 inch set. I was going to buy some T6 irons but at 30 bucks each I was too cheap and decided on a combo wrench that had both F/R axle sizes and my trusty old 11inch motion pro irons. I find that the most important thing for me to change tires is some kind of lube. I had some armorall silicone spray I was putting on the beads but can't find the bottle after I moved. With the lube, I had beads seating at 15 psi on the back of the DL with a hand pump. Also didn't have anywhere near us much trouble getting them off later.
This stuff is the S#!T.
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-37-beadgoop.aspx
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #23049
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
For about $12 you can buy a gallon (aka lifetime supply) of RuGlyde at Napa.

ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #23050
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Yup, RuGlide. Put some in an old spray bottle.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #23051
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I'll try it. I'll keep the Bead Goop in my tool kit for the road.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #23052
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,814
1150gs seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Anyone locally have an 1150GS (non ADV) stock single seat or custom they want to sell
Yes. PM me. Will be home by tonite. Got stuff I have to do in p-town tomorrow. Night.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #23053
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Well it looks like we'll be getting some scattered storms this weekend while camping. I hope that tent Jeff was nice enough to give me holds up in the rain. I sprayed it down with a whole can of waterproofing.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #23054
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well it looks like we'll be getting some scattered storms this weekend while camping. I hope that tent Jeff was nice enough to give me holds up in the rain. I sprayed it down with a whole can of waterproofing.
it's that time of year

going to a warm weather grass class tonight will find out if I need to borrow a truck or not

anybody got a green thumb? I obviously do not
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #23055
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
it's that time of year

going to a warm weather grass class tonight will find out if I need to borrow a truck or not

anybody got a green thumb? I obviously do not

So, are you Going for the lawn route or yard route? I envy a good lawn but I to settle for a yard. I try for the lawn but end up saying " Oh well, I guess weeds are green too."