ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #23146
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 186
Groundhog

I'm lookin' thru my scope...and I see one! Wait...I think he's motioning...he's flappin' his arms...I think he's trying to tell us...yeah, he's pointin' at his buddy. Now he's wavin' bye-bye to his buddy.

G'bye '08 WR250R.

draley screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 05:41 AM
draley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #23147
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Good laugh.

I have one wife that really needs pampering at home but in reality I have at least two wives at work.

Ok, since it's quiet and I don't post alot and I know non-motorcycle topics are at times shaky at best if they don't involve food...

I like to shoot but scarce ammo got me started reloading. Those supplies were scarce too. After three months I cobbled together the most basic, cheap, reloading equiptment. I've had excellent results on two cartridges, 308 Win and 7-30 Waters. If I had known what I know now, I would have started years ago. So, if you have been thinking about getting started... perhaps it's time.

Here is the best group with the TC Contender Super 14, 7-30 Waters at 100 yds with testing.
I'm hoping I pulled this one a little on that last shot.

The Model 7, 308 Win is tightening up. I need to keep testing but ran out of time at the farm and didn't finish. Best at 100 yds so far.
About a month ago I ordered the Dillon 550B Progressive Press. Parts have been trickling in for the past month. They said there was a 12 week wait but I have just about everything I ordered after 4 weeks. I have sources for reloading supplies if someone wants the links pm me.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #23148
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Like what GFF said. It is not a speed thang. I usually hold off until I have 40-60 spent cartridges. De-cap them in about 5 minutes. Then Re-size them in about 20 minutes. Watch TV and trim and clean (at about 30 seconds a cartridge), then throw them into the vibratory cleaner. All told it is usually a couple hour job, done over two days. But I'm really anal when it comes to powder measurements and re-verify about every 10 cartridges.

Once you get into it, it is kind of a zen thing to do.

Hope they are enjoying this nice dry spring weather over in Natural Bridge. I just got in from riding the 5 & 10 with my nephew. We rode in the rain for over half the ride. At least it's a warm rain.

jeff
When I was about 15 my dad got into this gun thing big time... I remember years of forced labor reloading thousands and thousands of this and that. I ran the de-primer pin through one of my fingers once... still see the scar on occasion when my hands are wet.

The best part of all this was that I was a teenager with all the ammo and gunpowder and access to the guns i wanted. Plus, living in the wide open kansas/oklahoma at the time... no problem with places to go shooting.

I think my favorite memory was super gluing the small rifle primers to the head of my .177 pellets and shooting them in the dark. Exploding pellets :) .. awesome.

In fact.. one of my first memories (like 3 to 4 yoa) was they used to put the guns in the corner of my closet. I remember getting pissed when they got back from hunting and just stacked the guns over my toys and I kicked them out of the way so I could get to my tanka truck. Things are so different today it seems.... lol

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 04:32 PM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #23149
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
7-30 Waters.
Here is the best group with the TC Contender Super 14, 7-30 Waters at 100 yds with testing.

That 7-30 Waters is an amazing load for the TC. Keep working on it. It's capable of sub m.o.a. at 100 yards.

You're well on your way with that group. Looks like you've got your powder and bullets matched pretty well.

SRMN8R screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 05:02 PM
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #23150
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,662
[QUOTE=draley;21437736]I'm lookin' thru my scope...and I see one! Wait...I think he's motioning...he's flappin' his arms...I think he's trying to tell us...yeah, he's pointin' at his buddy. Now he's wavin' bye-bye to his buddy.

[/

I remember that. How you doing?

Yes the 7-30 is an interesting round. 2 inch groups off a fence post at 200 yards with a pistol. That's pretty cool. Love that TC.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #23151
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 186
[QUOTE=Greenflyfarmer;21439207
I remember that. How you doing?[/QUOTE]

It was 2 years ago when we ran into you at Wiggin Springs / Rocky Mtn. towers area. I was a noob with a new KLR at that time. Now I have logged 9000+ miles of weekend forest exploration around this area.

I took some pics of your 625KTM, but I had no idea what it was. I now have a friend with a 450EXC and it makes me sick what a pig my KLR is. Actually, I love my KLR, but there's no comparison, ya know...

I can't buy a KTM, but a great deal on an almost new WR250R just fell in my lap. I couldn't resist, so now I have a lighter, more agile bike to go places that I was apprehensive about taking the KLR (like Shoe Creek). By the way, thanks for the warning about the bad dog at the entrance. He scared the crap out of me the first time.

Here are some pics.

G'bye '08 WR250R.
draley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #23152
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,474
I rode out to "Warbirds Over the Beach" today. Field conditions prevented many of the aircraft from flying. However, we were still treated to an ME-262 flyover, lots of lighter aircraft flying, the Canadian AVRO Lancaster, and the Museum's JU-52 flying. It's a pretty amazing place and event. Lots of WWII re-enacters.

Here's the link to my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2424880...7633529637464/

Hit a deluge on the way home. Cheapo rainsuit leaked in the critical crotch location :-(.

Mosquito did not fly, but they ran the Merlins up on the pad.

pplassm screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 07:39 AM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #23153
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Might be a nice ride over the ferry or however you get to Williamsburg for this on June 2nd:
Warbird Showcase at Williamsburg Jamestown Airport (KJGG). Admission: Free

11 A.M. to 3 P.M.
Sunday, June 2, 2013

Featuring Many Vintage Warbirds:
Stinson OY-1 Sentinel, Ryan PT-22 Recruit, Stearman PY-17 Keydet,
Fairchild PT-19 Cornell, L-19 Birddog, Texan at-6c, and others.

P L U S

Fully restored Glenn L. Martin twin .50 caliber Dorsal Gun Turrett

Anyone having a Warbird and wishes to display it at this event is welcome to join us.

Free admission to aircraft and turrett static displays.

Lunch at Charly's Airport Restaurant

Sponsor: Commemorative Air Force' Old Dominion Squadron

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #23154
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Hello? Hello? Is there anyone left in Richmond who isn't at Morton's BMW rally? Is this mike on? Hello?

Looks like it will be a quiet weekend on the forum....

jeff
still here and in pain damn I'm out of shape laying sod is kicking my butt it's fun getting old

and missed another powerball
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #23155
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,372
I'm back. Had a great trip down to western nc and some TN. Left Wed am early made my way down to Boone NC for the 14th annual FJ1200 spring camp. There was a bottom bunk in a cabin open and I took it - so not "real" camping. Weather was excellent til Saturday when bottom fell out. I made a break for home early afternoon when it let up. On the way it rained more so I decided to make a pitstop at my folks place in Clarksville. Got there right at dinner time.. what a coincidence.

Unfortunately, I took my camera out to take a picture of some baby birds w/ mouths wide open in a nest in moms flower pot, and left my camera there.. in other words.. no pics. dang it.

Made last two hours early this morning. Lots of light rain/mist yesterday and today, but no downpours. 1107 miles for the trip.

It was mostly an asphalt/twisties riding affair, but I did get out for some gravel exploring one day. Did all the hotspots, shady valley, Damascus, little Switz, Roan Mtn, 80, 180, etc. and so forth. FYI on 226a @ Little switzerland - it's screwed. Tar snake hell.

At Shady Valley TN @ 321/421 on Thursday afternoon I saw two thumpers, f650 and a KLR, loaded for bear with shit strapped on top of shit. Clearly some adv types. Took closer look and sure enough the KLR had HalfPlates RVA sticker. They caught me checking out the bikes and came over, it was Jax Obsessed and ScottP headed for Ricks rendezvous in Hampton TN. only 25ish miles away. They told me that unless I showed up I was crapping on the memory of our dearly departed (from the east coast) brother Michhub. I thought about making it by there Sat, but weather nixed it.

anyway, good ride, no issues, DR rocked it - no issues/hiccups of any kids. Put a severe hurting on my formerly newish TW302. Here's a lame cell pic from the garage to keep this post from being utterly worthless.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #23156
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,606
Great seeing all you guys at the spring fling...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #23157
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
... on Thursday afternoon I saw two thumpers, f650 and a KLR, loaded for bear with shit strapped on top of shit. Clearly some adv types. Took closer look and sure enough the KLR had HalfPlates RVA sticker. They caught me checking out the bikes and came over, it was Jax Obsessed and ScottP ...
Stickers once again help bring people together -- good stuff!

So I was south of the border for a bit. Thought I'd share an example of urban ADVing, San Miguel de Allende style:

That pic was a total accident / fun find.

The pic that I wish I had been able to take was not of the guys riding three up (without gear), but of the folks in Tlaquepaque riding four up (without gear). I couldn't get the camera on and in action before they disappeared around the cobblestoned corner because I was too busy standing there just watching them.

I've been asked what sort of bikes one finds down there. In short, a little bit of everything.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #23158
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Just got back from a COG Rally up in PA

A pretty emotional place:

A wall of names of those on the plane:

Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #23159
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Great seeing all you guys at the spring fling...
You too. Last year when I didn't know anyone, I had time to spare. This year I could have used an extra day. Great riding, great food, good times, and someone we know walked away with a damn nice door prize! And I'm not talking about the grab bag I won. I've got a GS. Cleaning supplies??? I don't need no stinkin' cleaning supplies!
What I do need is the name of someone who can powder coat my crash bars. They're looking a little...um...crashed. They don't call them parking-spot bars!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #23160
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
So, despite all the joking on my ghetto rig bungee straps, I am back safe and everything stayed on the bike thankfully. I had a great time riding the trails on there for the first time. Big thanks to Greenflyfarmer for letting me borrow his chair for the weekend.

I rode out with DrWhipit and Eddy to Amherst then we split off. I winged it and somehow made my way up to tower road.

Then made my way down to the awesome waterfall.

Then made my way up Reservoir Rd to Panther Falls and up to the parkway.

Under the tunnel what do you know, another ADV member draley. He was even riding a WR like me. It was like 2 unicorns running into each other in the wild. He was kind enough to ask me to come back to the campsite for some friendly bike talk and a beer.

After that I made my way up to Sherando from the parkway to meet my friends for the bachelor party weekend and set up camp.

My sleeping arrangements thanks to Jeff Munn.

And that was about it. The next two days were spent blowing through about 140 beers, and lots of rain. I rode back this morning and it rained the entire time so unfortunately instead of exploring I just shot back 56 to 60. I packed the bike a little differently on the way back to give me more seat room since I knew I was just slabbing it. Here's the 5 minutes on the way home where the rain stopped.

And that wraps up my first weekend away on the WR. As time passes I will gather more parts to make trips easier and safer.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 03:34 PM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote